Did anybody else here hate the English syllabus? (1 Viewer)

Kos

It wasnt the texts that I didnt like, but I thought the English syllabus was the most pompous pretentious crap that managed to molest all the fun out of the course. Seriously, we studied Arthur Millers "The Cruicible" in year 11. Great play, but instead of looking at the themes and how historical facts were represented, we looked at what the text said about "Conscience VS Authority". Thank fkn god ive left school and dont have to deal with it.

Remember what one of the points in the rubic was for the change??? My god.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I only really hated 'Jane Eyre', apart from that book, I enjoyed my prescribed texts.

crazyhobo

You'd prefer to be taught a bunch of facts about a book, rather than actually think about its meaning? Although I don't think the syllabus is perfect, it is definately on the right track.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hmph. Its good if you get taught properly. If you have crap teachers who have NO clue what they are talking about, then its boring, and stoopid. but thats my opinion.

Inhuman

HSC
I hate the way you end up pulling pieces of texts apart for the techniques.

Like when we did Hamlet, basically all we did was read the key speeches in class, get told to read a couple of scenes at home and then study themes/setting/character etc

To me, analysing texts in English is like ripping apart a painting to examine the pigments used. You end up with a whole lot of stuff you can use in essays but it's almost impossible for me to enjoy the text ever again (for an example, consider The Door)

Kos

What I hate, is that instead of studying all the themes of a book and looking at its social context and comparing it with other literiture of the time, we end up studying the text along one simple line. This way of teaching does not give students a total appreciation of the text. It pisses me off. Seriously, imagine studying say "Crime and Punishment" and looking only at say, the changes in Raskolnikoff. Its just plain dumb.

Rohanco

HSC
I laughed when I noticed this had been posted back in '03, it's been nearly a decade now and the syllabus even after it's amendments still is a complete waste of time. Pretentious empty crap sums it up perfectly! I love the study of literature and anyone else who does would share my hatred for the syllabus. English teachers and other advocates of the syllabus like to argue that without the compulsory syllabus taught during years 11 and 12 we would be raising an illiterate generation of kids who don't now how to communicate. That would be a completely valid and important argument IF the syllabus actually requested it's student be taught how to write well. Instead I fond my self stuck in English class doing nothing but having a BOS approved list of ridiculous language techniques speared at me, which look for stupid meaning in the text that isn't actually there! This picture sums it up nicely http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2130786/the/ :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I laughed when I noticed this had been posted back in '03, it's been nearly a decade now and the syllabus even after it's amendments still is a complete waste of time. Pretentious empty crap sums it up perfectly! I love the study of literature and anyone else who does would share my hatred for the syllabus. English teachers and other advocates of the syllabus like to argue that without the compulsory syllabus taught during years 11 and 12 we would be raising an illiterate generation of kids who don't now how to communicate. That would be a completely valid and important argument IF the syllabus actually requested it's student be taught how to write well. Instead I fond my self stuck in English class doing nothing but having a BOS approved list of ridiculous language techniques speared at me, which look for stupid meaning in the text that isn't actually there! This picture sums it up nicely http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2130786/the/ :)
Ah, I remember that. Funny and so true! :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I did The Crucible for Belonging and sure, it's a good drama and shit, but for Belonging it's just frivolously chucked in there, and the question my year was on Belonging to place. Which didn't suit AT ALL along with two other texts in that section (and I know people that just missed out on stellar (like amazing) marks because of English (and I missed out on an okay mark. Sluts)).
Good work BOS.

BrokenGlass

HSC
Defs Agree. I KNOW as a fact that there are texts like Blade Runner, or Into the Wild, that I would have enjoyed had it not have been for the stupid english syllabus.
And as my philosophy with all things in life - if you enjoy doing something, you'll succeed at it(or at least be more likely too)
I HATE making up crap for english that I DON'T BELIEVE IN AT ALL.
They're really misleading too, the syllabus talks about 'the student's own interpretation' but as we all know if we put a toe over that fine line teachers tell us we have to tread on and analyse, and start talking about different noteworthy themes and ideas, then the teachers who mark your essay just shit all over it. I know that if I didn't have to BS all the time in english, I'd enjoy it, as I do love reading and viewing texts, and analysing and reading into them. But the stupid syllabus just demands our 'own, original interpretation' whilst also demanding their single, interpretation that is set-in-stone.
And then they complain about memorising stuff, when they themselves don't let us write about our own interpretations and opinions and texts...
Heck, my teachers have even partially admitted this is how it works, they agree that some of my ideas are great, insightful and all the rest, but they 'recommend' I stick to the generic stuff, for my own sake, as they know HSC markers won't appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)