• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

did anyone not make notes for ancient and do fine? (1 Viewer)

P042

HSC
well ok.. i have no idea how i'm doing well for ancient history, im coming 2nd and i have virtually done nothing for this subject.. i guess i can say my class is probably not the smartest bunch so i haven't really felt pressured to make notes..

but i'm kinda worried now because everyone seems to have made notes that are like 80 pgs long throughout the year.. so.. should i get started and make notes even if its too late.. or should i just practice papers.. did anyone not make notes and do fine? or am i screwed...

im not a bad student.. i just procrastinate alot.. =__= as u can see...i need advice...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
P042 said:
well ok.. i have no idea how i'm doing well for ancient history, im coming 2nd and i have virtually done nothing for this subject.. i guess i can say my class is probably not the smartest bunch so i haven't really felt pressured to make notes..

but i'm kinda worried now because everyone seems to have made notes that are like 80 pgs long throughout the year.. so.. should i get started and make notes even if its too late.. or should i just practice papers.. did anyone not make notes and do fine? or am i screwed...

im not a bad student.. i just procrastinate alot.. =__= as u can see...i need advice...
it depends how you study but.... notes are pretty important... you can get some from the resource section of this site but i dunno how reliable they would be.

P042

HSC
do u think im too late to start notes now? i mean it would be major cramming =(
i dno.. i just feel so insecure now that i don't have any or should i not waste time and use resource notes and do test papers

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

P042 said:
do u think im too late to start notes now? =(
To be honest, there's really no point in asking "is it too late to ..." when it comes to work. You want to go well in the subject, yeah? Is there any other option than to work?

If it's really bad, form a study group or get a tutor for even a couple of lessons.

P042

HSC
PwarYuex said:
To be honest, there's really no point in asking "is it too late to ..." when it comes to work. You want to go well in the subject, yeah? Is there any other option than to work?

If it's really bad, form a study group or get a tutor for even a couple of lessons.
yea i know.. im just kinda disapointed in myself... ive started my notes already but im getting really discouraged i don't think i can finish in time and i won't have time to practive papers... i have to make 80 pg worth of notes that everyone else has done all year.. sigh i guess ill just stay up doing notes
thx for ur comment it feels more reassuring =)

dat202hoe

HSC
Is anyone using the syllabus to make notes for Ancient? Or are you working directly out of your class notes/text books. I'm finding it difficult to work with the syllabus at the moment.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
The only advice I'll give:
Make notes.
Use the syllabus.
Listen to PwarYuex.
Goodluck.

X

xeuyrawp

P042 said:
i have to make 80 pg worth of notes that everyone else has done all year..
No you don't. There's really no point in making huge notes - all that matters is your memory retention and good layouts to take into the exam.

Only write what's relevant for you, and this means size. I think I had around five or so pages of generously-spaced notes for each of my 4 terms; I shit you not. So pretty much twenty pages altogether, and I did very well. I think unless you've got huge amounts of time, anything that large is pointless and counter-constructive, because you can't test yourself as you're going. This is important - test yourself immediately after you've made one note, one page, all your notes, the day after, and then a few days after that. If you've made an effort, and can't remember much, something's wrong, so I suggest you either change your study method or cull your notes to reasonable lengths. If you feel like you've remembered something properly, don't be afraid to remove it as well - there's no point having something on notes if you can remember it all...

I was lucky in that during the HSC, I realised that short notes were important for exams - it's a practice that I continue to use to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

P042

HSC
PwarYuex.. thnx seriously thnx so much ur advice is so helpful and everyone else too.. ive done my Sparta notes erm 18pgs?.. ( im getting like chronic back pain from sitting down all day..haha) and ive been working on my Greece period today and i feel i little more confident but i haven't put it to practice yet so i will take testing as i do my notes into account..

about testing myself, after each topic did u do practice HSC questions, like memorise ur notes then to try a question? what methods did u guys use?

anyway i feel like an idiot looking at my own post.. but u guys are sure helpful =)

TY.

X

xeuyrawp

P042 said:
about testing myself, after each topic did u do practice HSC questions, like memorise ur notes then to try a question? what methods did u guys use?
You should certainly keep it relevant to the types of questions they ask in the HSC, but doing full answers as continual practice is a waste of time.

Unless you have problems with essay writing, I'd stick to doing practice as dot points of ideas + evidence. If you do that, you'll also be able to see the types of evidence you're using - it's always a good idea to have a good mix of various primary (archaeological and written) and secondary sources.

In the HSC exam, that's essentially what they want (or, evidence + interpretation, depending on your style), except they want the dot points drawn out into fuller sentences and paragraphs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)