Did I pick good subjects? (1 Viewer)

Silly Sausage

HSC
not necessarily
loads of people do something that's different from what they did in high school
There's no prerequisites; though it may give a slight advantage
It's not an advantage (unless you did 4U since you relearn complex and some functions stuff). Not doing any form of senior high school maths will be massive disadvantage unless you take TAFE courses for math or self-learn/tutor.
Also what you said wouldn't necessarily be true for mathematical/physical science based subjects such as engineering which actually requires you to build on assumed unlike many other areas.

Have a read of this:
http://m.smh.com.au/national/educat...-of-engineering-after-all-20131217-2zjb2.html

Silly Sausage

HSC
"The head of the UNSW School of Mathematics and Statistics, Professor Bruce Henry, said a student hoping to study maths or engineering at university should take extension mathematics at high school.

He said it was ‘‘totally irresponsible’’ and ‘‘misleading’’ if students were being advised to pick subjects based on what they thought would maximise their ATAR."

Honestly, its doable but will be extremely difficult. Visit open day and the get the perspectives of engineering students/lectures about this.

Last edited:
HSC
It's not an advantage (unless you did 4U since you relearn complex and some functions stuff). Not doing any form of senior high school maths will be massive disadvantage unless you take TAFE courses for math or self-learn/tutor.
Also what you said wouldn't necessarily be true for mathematical/physical science based subjects such as engineering which actually requires you to build on assumed unlike many other areas.

Have a read of this:
http://m.smh.com.au/national/educat...-of-engineering-after-all-20131217-2zjb2.html
I get where you're going. As long as OP does follow maths before the course

"The head of the UNSW School of Mathematics and Statistics, Professor Bruce Henry, said a student hoping to study maths or engineering at university should take extension mathematics at high school.

He said it was ‘‘totally irresponsible’’ and ‘‘misleading’’ if students were being advised to pick subjects based on what they thought would maximise their ATAR."

Honestly, its doable but will be extremely difficult. Visit open day and the get the perspectives of engineering students/lectures about this.
The professor doesn't take into consideration:
1. maths tuition elsewhere and that hsc maths doesn't have to be in high school
2. not everyone realises that the course is what they actually want straight out of high school. Many people switch, so he's saying courses can't be switched..?
3. some people don't decide straight away whether to take the course

kyusungasong

HSC
In all honesty if you feel like you enjoy the subjects you'll do well in them. Never pick subjects because you think it scales better or will automatically give you better marks, its not true. Chances are if you like them you'll spend more time for them.

xPhenoms

HSC
I plan on doing the TAFE course and than probably the bridging course, I didn't mean I struggle with maths or sciences, I didn't choose to do them for the simple fact that if I pick subjects i know I excel at, I do actually regret not doing maths and biology, I had a different career path in mind when I picked my subjects, and as for it being extremely difficult that's not true at all, my brothers ex girlfriend didn't do any sciences in school and did the bare minimum and she is doing medicine at University, there are ways around things, I still plan to go to Uni and do Computer Engineering, I excel at Computers and Programming, it's a natural talent I have.

turntaker

HSC
I plan on doing the TAFE course and than probably the bridging course, I didn't mean I struggle with maths or sciences, I didn't choose to do them for the simple fact that if I pick subjects i know I excel at, I do actually regret not doing maths and biology, I had a different career path in mind when I picked my subjects, and as for it being extremely difficult that's not true at all, my brothers ex girlfriend didn't do any sciences in school and did the bare minimum and she is doing medicine at University, there are ways around things, I still plan to go to Uni and do Computer Engineering, I excel at Computers and Programming, it's a natural talent I have.
OK dude

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Don't worry about the ATAR issue. You can get any ATAR with any combination of your 2 best units of English and 8 other units in theory.

However before you get to uni and after you finish your HSC, I strongly recommend you learn a bit of 2U maths at the least as it will be vital in your first year of Computer Engineering.

In the meantime, focus on getting the ATAR and doing well in your subjects. Don't worry too much about scaling and/or aligning. Just try your best and be smart/efficient about how you approach your studies.

xPhenoms

HSC
I talked to my teachers at school and i decided to take up general maths 1, its basic math but it will get me in the mindset of doing maths, you know what they say, something is better than nothing! i actually quite enjoy it, its flexible without having to sit the HSC at the end of the year and its all credit towards my future career in a maths field.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I talked to my teachers at school and i decided to take up general maths 1, its basic math but it will get me in the mindset of doing maths, you know what they say, something is better than nothing! i actually quite enjoy it, its flexible without having to sit the HSC at the end of the year and its all credit towards my future career in a maths field.
Good to hear you are doing some sort of maths, but still bear in mind that maths in uni will be much harder than general maths, and you will need to do some serious studying for maths after your HSC in order to be on par with the average maths level of a prospective engineering student. It is too late to worry about whether the subjects you have chosen is right or not, just do your best and have no regrets-that's the most important thing at the end of the day, never look back, only look forward:)

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Good luck man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)