Did I Throw Away My Dream? (1 Viewer)

Simply AD

Danski
HSC
First of, introduction. My name is Daniel. In my preliminary course I did (Standard English, General Mathematics, Physics, Engineering Studies, Ancient History, Metal and Engineering).

I recently just dropped Physics because I did not want my marks to effect those who actually took it seriously in the year 11 course. I bludged all of year 11 and managed to improvise a couple of pass marks. What this topic is really about is my dreams and what I want to do with my life after the HSC. Since the beginning of the Preliminary course I bludged all the way with only a slight idea of wanting to be an engineer, and slowly picked up interest through the course of the year.

Now I realise that I want it more than ever.

Engineering as you know requires good maths and physics, I am capable of Mathematics + Extension but I did not feel like crunching any numbers so I chose General because I knew I would be capable of doing it in my sleep and hands tied behind my back. Physics as you know is a hard subject, you fall behind and you're left behind. Which is why I dropped the subject.

My strong subjects are Maths and English.

What can I do? I really want to get into Engineering.

jirwin

HSC
I'm not exactly knowledgable when it comes to issues like this, but I would assume that as long as you work hard in the subjects you do, get the UAI you need, and get into the uni course, then you would be able to do bridging courses in order to get the required knowledge. I'm not 100% if that is correct though. If not, you can get into Uni via TAFE and other means, you definitely haven't "thrown away your dreams", it will just take a bit more hard work and maybe a bit more time but you can definitely get there in the end.

Good Luck :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
nup, u dont lose ur dream that easily, as said above u can do bridging courses, i may want to do engineering but i dont do physics...so just think about what you can control right now, just do ur best this year to get in

Simply AD

Danski
HSC
Thanks, now it's just a matter of disciplining myself. I know I have to try hard, but I still can't get that through my habits. I'll see how it goes.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Simply AD said:
Thanks, now it's just a matter of disciplining myself. I know I have to try hard, but I still can't get that through my habits. I'll see how it goes.
keep trying, it happens to all of us as well, just dont give up

dolbinau

HSC
It's hard to believe you were capable of doing Extension 1 but chose general...you've made things very hard for yourself but good luck! You can still get there - you just have a lot of work ahead of you!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Your dream would've been easier if you chose MX1 and kept Physics.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Work hard from this point on!
Do not slack off, you'll only regret it later.
You can do it!

adnan91

HSC
So u made a strategic move dropping those. I know a guy who did a similar thing. He did esl bio chem general maths and got 100 uai. But he didnt go into engineering. In your case ur going to have to brigding courses, but thats for later. Im also keen on engineering goodluck:read:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I study in the faculty of engineering, even though my major is computer science, we need to do first year mathematics and discrete mathematics.

I must warn you first and foremost that 3 unit math is the bare minimum required in first year math in unsw, and even then mainstream engineering requires much more than first year math.

You will have to think carefully about doing engineering with gen math. In uni you will understand that it is your will 90% of the time that drives you to complete your degree, not your teachers.

HSC
Man I'm mega skeptical of your post.

We were all told a million billion times how important the subjects we chose were and how they were prequisites for some courses.

Be honest with yourself, the study habits you are in now are not going to be undone in a matter of weeks before your first hsc exam. Are you really going to turn around and tap into a huge amount of 'unchartered mathematical potentual' in a year?

If you are serious repeat.

eliseliselise

HSC
it is never too late to become what you could have been. ;) try and pull off a uai of about 80 and u should be able to get into some species of engineering.. there are a few colleges around that have very low cutoffs for some types of engineering, although i do not know their names... but good luck with it all :)

SimonLee13

HSC
dolbinau said:
It's hard to believe you were capable of doing Extension 1 but chose general...you've made things very hard for yourself but good luck! You can still get there - you just have a lot of work ahead of you!
Agrees with this guy. Do a bridging course at uni then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)