• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Did you enjoy Emma by Jane Austen? (1 Viewer)

Did you?

• Total voters

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
Everybody here seems to absolutely despise the book. So, did you like it?

bawd

HSC
Most definitely didn't like it, but I wouldn't say I hated it. It's just not as good as Austen's other works, such as Pride and Prejudice. (Love Mrs. Bennet, Mr Bennet, Elizabeth Bennet)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Nah i hated it. But it all comes down to personal preference.

HSC
i couldn't finish it. it's clever and ironic, and i appreciate it as a piece of literature, but i'm not a fan of massive amounts of useless detail with only a couple of vaguely intiguing incidents spread throughout.

rach19

HSC
It took a while to get into but after a while I really did like it, the satirical wit and Austens style. The ending was a tad to predictable other than that I enjoyed it unlike many other people in my class who despised it and got to page 50.

jules.09

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i couldn't finish it. it's clever and ironic, and i appreciate it as a piece of literature, but i'm not a fan of massive amounts of useless detail with only a couple of vaguely intiguing incidents spread throughout.
I DEFINITELY agree with that statement there. But I have to finish it because I'm getting assessed on it in my yearly next term, I think.

bawd

HSC
theshortykatt said:
maybe you should stop comparing it to austen's other works.
everyone knows that p&p is society's favorite.
I guess you can't really help but compare it, because most people have studied Pride and Prejudice before Emma, and it just sets you up with that same high expectation, and then you read Emma, and you are let down by the sheer difference from Pride and Prejudice.

Emma is considered Austen's most flawless piece of work though, and most of you probably read that on the blurb of the Penguin Classics edition. :cool:

morganjane

HSC
well as it has been published; Jane Austen wrote Emma to be a character only she herself would like.

they book is fine, but as for "enjoyment" *shrugs*

ccc123

HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
Everybody here seems to absolutely despise the book. So, did you like it?
I didn't like Emma as a character, finding her annoying rather than witty. So pretty much, not liking the heroine ruined the book for me...and like much 19th century literature, there was excrutiating detail about every little thing.

So no, didn't like it all that much. P and P is way better if we are talking Austen.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
um I reLLy Lyk JanE AusTen"s BooKSz. I hAveN't Read anY but I sAw thE movie CLuEless wHich is Lyk BasED on heR bookZ someoNe tolD me hehehe. I <3 AliciA siLveRsTonE, HEaps OF pEoplE telL me I loOK likE her But I Don'T see IT hehe

SiN3m

HSC
eww no way in HELL! jeez i just finished it today!

I only enjoyed half a few pages of Mr Knightly trying to express his feelings to Emma and getting excited when he learns she isn't into Churchill....

I just dnt like anything austen writes....this is the first book of hers that I've finished....

SiN3m

HSC
BUT

I prefer Emma as a character 10X more than cher in 'Clueless'! dear God!

ccc123

HSC
SiN3m said:
eww no way in HELL! jeez i just finished it today!

I only enjoyed half a few pages of Mr Knightly trying to express his feelings to Emma and getting excited when he learns she isn't into Churchill....

I just dnt like anything austen writes....this is the first book of hers that I've finished....

Austen's books are kind of the same, with the plot always along the lines of some middle-class and strong minded heroine pining for some "eligible bachelor"

SiN3m

HSC
ccc123 said:
Austen's books are kind of the same, with the plot always along the lines of some middle-class and strong minded heroine pining for some "eligible bachelor"
yeah i know...i mean i dnt mind watching the movies, i loved the 1995 Pride and Prejudice BBC production.... i lvoe the era just hate the way she writes....bores me

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
artist91 said:
worst.book.ever.written.jane.needed.to.learn.how.to.write.shorter.sentences.for.a.start.
It's actually factually correct to assume that the majority of one's readership can in fact both read and comprehend the English langauge, and furthermore not be put off when one sentence happens to run on further than is the norm.

SiN3m

HSC
Riet said:
It's actually factually correct to assume that the majority of one's readership can in fact both read and comprehend the English langauge, and furthermore not be put off when one sentence happens to run on further than is the norm.
Comprehending and enjoying are two dfferent concepts... I personally can understand but it does bug me....

bawd

HSC
artist91 said:
worst.book.ever.written.jane.needed.to.learn.how.to.write.shorter.sentences.for.a.start.
She writes formally and does not engage in the idealistic explorations as her 18th century counterparts seem to do (Dickens etc) and always see rhetorical balance as the primary purpose. Jane Austen writes brilliantly, just do some research on her style and you'll understand why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)