Did you have a job during HSC/Year 12? (2 Viewers)

irenefu

HSC
I'm not sure whether or not to quit my job, but I need the money to pay for my tutoring, but I'm just worried the job might affect my marks.
Did anyone have a job during HSC? Did you manage, or did you just quit?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My sister did and she got 96, and I will probably have mine still next year in the HSC.

Cut down on your shifts if you are worried, just work Saturday/Sundays if you are nervous

danjw

HSC
I have a job but I'm not working at the moment because of exams and when I get swamped I always have time off.
Talk to your employer hopefully they'll be understanding about it and if not look for another job?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Yeah a lot of people I know had a job in Yr 12 but they took a break during the HSC weeks (most employers will understand)

Jaymay

HSC
I tutored maths, and drums for majority of year 12, about 140 a week for like 5 hours? Such good money, i know, but i stopped the tutoring of maths, and kept up with my Drum tutoring, getting 60 a week for an hour and a half. and its easy stuff. Additionally i did get my car in february and thats amazing... and work was right after school, so it was my break time anyway.

It was no problem throughout the year, and it probably drove me to do more work, knowing that i hadn't been working when i was bringing it monneeyyss. but don't pressure yourself, ask if tutoring is worth twice the amount of time (Work and tutoring time) compared to using that time to understand the concepts more, and using the shit out of your teachers...

Good ruck

timinator1993

HSC
Year 11 I worked 2 jobs, leaving in the morning at 7.30 and getting home no earlier then 6:00 6 days per week. I didnt really mind, year 11 was easy plus I earnt buttloads of money, year 12 I left one job and remained in the one I enjoyed, only worked 10-14 hours per week.
Its all about balance man, If you feel your getting swamped, ease off.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I've tutored Maths throughout the year and friends have mine have had jobs at Maccas/Dominos and various other places. We've all managed.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
it's probably best not to work during exams, but if you need to work for the money do so
talk to your manager and work out your shifts according to your exams in the next few weeks so that you can optimise your study time

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
I have a job at the moment, but I've taken time off during the exams (except for three shifts between religion and physics because I have a week break). I got told I take priority over others which is good.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I have two jobs! Woohoo. n_n Same with others my shifts have reduced during this period, most works will understand that you have to study when you put in for leave or ask for reduced hours. I don't think having two jobs has greatly impacted my HSC, it kept me a lot more healthy and motivated towards my studies, and allowed me to go into another environment frequently that wasn't all HSC HSC HSC in your face type thing. n_n

CecilyMare

HSC
I haven't had a job but i can safely say that i procrastinated at least 8 hours a night up until now.

Neologism

HSC
I haven't had a job but i can safely say that i procrastinated at least 8 hours a night up until now.
Personally, as much as I wanted/needed money, I've gone through year 11 and 12 without a job. I really wanted a job so I would have some experience, some independance, responsibility and some $, but I've always had a lot of other committments e.g. sports etc and I just decided I would be more focused without a job. I haven't wasted anytime over the past two years either. So it has proven best for me, I definitely wouldn't have been able to get the marks and ranks I have got if I had have had another committment. If you're one of the people that will waste time and will be better off with a job, something to make a little balance in your life and as someone else said, will be more driven to study in the time you have, then I say go for it. I would make sure your employer will be understanding and flexible when it comes to exam periods or when you are feeling a little overwhelmed. All in all, having a job is up to the person... and I was worried it'd be hard to find a job after HSC without experience, but I secured a job just a couple of weeks ago which I am starting officially a couple of weeks after HSC :)

b3kh1t

HSC
Well if you can organise your time and know how to distinguish between your priorities then yeh for sure keep it :D and it does give you some time to relax from studying

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I worked all day on Saturdays through the year. In previous years I worked every Monday, Wednesday and Friday 4-7 (sometime 4-9).. It doesn't hurt to have a break from studying and it fuels your partying!!! Having said that, I took work off since the last week of school until a week after the HSC ( for week of partying :D) and I am definitely not missing it xD..

EDIT: Also, I found that when I know that I have to work and have a shorter amount of time I actually don't procrastinate nearly as much as I do now not working :) Hence the reason why I am in this thread rather than studying.

breezy262

HSC
I worked at Dominos until the end of Year 11, about 10 hours per week. I quit at the start of Year 12, and only worked during school holidays. I've just got a new job lined up post-HSC... I say just see what you can cope with. For me, I found it too hard to balance work and the HSC, as my job would sometimes cause me to not get home until 10pm and that really affected my ability to study properly. If you have a job where you work days (like a saturday or a sunday) it's not as much of a big deal... for me, my job took away all of my weeknights when I studied and that just couldn't work for the HSC. If it's stressing you, I'd say quit or at least cut down your shifts... otherwise there's no reason not to work if you can balance it with school.

HKK

HSC
I've kept my job at Bras N Things... it's just important to take time off during trials and HSC, I've taken two months off pre-HSC! Plus,
it's really good because if you work during HSC and don't go out as much, your moola just keeps on building ;)

suling

HSC
I had a job during year 12. I cut down to only one or two shifts per week, and took leave over the exam period. I am so glad I kept my job, because now I have money to go to Europe. :D

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Don't quit your job during HSC, it was unbelievably hard to find a job after HSC. Don't believe the people that say "its really easy getting a job after HSC". Cause it's not. Keep working at your job and they'll maybe give you more shifts after all your exams are over. Last year, Me and my friends literally went to 3 or 4 huge shopping malls and applied EVERYWHERE (This was last year after our HSC). We literally printed like 100 resumes EACH and handed them out. At the end, only 1 of my friend got a call from Go-Lo at end of December asking if he could work :S. I went jobless into uni for a few months, and boy was it a bitch. Uni is so much more expensive than high school in terms of general costs (food, drinks, hanging out with friends in-between lectures or tuts). I got a job in-between semester 1 and semester 2 at uni, and I was sooooo happy xD. You'll find it's worthwhile to have that extra cash later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)