Votes: 14 13.7%
  • no

Votes: 60 58.8%
  • depends on why (please specify)

Votes: 28 27.5%

• Total voters

bassguy

HSC
The question is, why would you? I don't feel any particular loyalty - I just live here. Besides, Australia has such a high percentage of bogan scum. The nationalist traditions all revolve around people who are average in every way, with nothing to make them stand out except possibly an ability to play footy. Our unofficial national anthem is about a sheep-stealing crim who commits suicide. I mean, come on.

That aside, nationalism and patriotism are up there with religion as either the greatest crimes visited on mankind, or at least the causes of them.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Iron said:
Dieing for your country has changed too much since, in Horraces' words, it was a 'great and noble deed'.
Since industrialization (lets say 1914), wars have aquired an all-encompassing destructive capacity. Much is left to chance and instantaneous, widespread, unavoidable, unseen killing. They are no longer good sport, cleansing or able to offer survival based on skill.

Also, with rising living standards comes a better educated and enfranchised public who can question and direct government in a more effective way. Going against this shatters public condifence and trust in government to do the right thing by them. THis results in the gvt falling and apathy soaring (eg chronic cynicism over policy motives). Vietnam is the obvious case in point.

We're also living in an interconnected world where the state's capacity to make huge differences to our lives is eroding. Previously, we could be shielded from the world, become totally self sufficient, and have the state as our only spokesman and protector. Now that's largely obsolete.

In short, the state's ability to persuade us to die for it has been severely undermined. Unless there is a very clear connection with our immediate personal security (or economic prosperity in the case of professional soldiers), I doubt that many of us would unconditionally die for the country.
i agree, even though globalisation didnt enter our dictionaries until the 1980s, we did have that globalised worldview in the 1960s where we not only empathised with the soldiers, but with the "enemy within" telling us their views, the media covering the story, enlightened and not just conscientious objectors, we seem to have come a long way from the idealised nation state that emerged in the 1300-1400s

so when we next go to war and we need to defend Australia's borders' we'll be like: what borders?

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
*BIRDIE* said:
y wouldnt you die for your country?? i love AUSTRALIA, i even own things with our flag on it like beach towel, boardes, thongs (the open toed shoe not a g!) and other such items. im am still in serious mental debate about wether i wanna do a gap yr in the army before joining reserves!!
Join reserves first. Then figure out whether you want to join the army full time for a year. :p

zeam

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
We're pathetic? You're the militaristic moron. Any conflict can be solved by discussion, trade and mediation alone.

There is no reason for any person ever to die in war. This mentality continues death.

Superb.
because obviously groups like Al-qaida are wiling to negotiate and discuss things through. pathetic left wing air head

ubernuton

HSC
zeam said:
because obviously groups like Al-qaida are wiling to negotiate and discuss things through. pathetic left wing air head
this may be true but if we had started by negotiation then would they be willing to negotiate now

Dr.Dan

HSC
ubernuton said:
this may be true but if we had started by negotiation then would they be willing to negotiate now
where do u think a fight started??

Zrap

glock9
HSC
The day Prime Ministers and Presidents fight for their country, literally go to war or punch on whatevz, will be a memorable day.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Zrap said:
The day Prime Ministers and Presidents fight for their country, literally go to war or punch on whatevz, will be a memorable day.
A dead leader doesn't always help moral or organisation:p

zstar

HSC
N/A
I am no loyal to any country.

If Australia was invaded by some Fascist country then I think I should defend Australia but if Australia turned into some Nazi fascist country then I'd turn against Australia and stop it from invading other countries.

At the end of the day we are all people, We all feel, We all eat, We all dream, We all sleep.

Governments should earn loyalty not expect it automatically.

ubernuton

HSC
chicky_pie said:
I don't want to die defending a piece of land, that's up for the Aboriginals to do that. We control this country, they can just defend the land. :p
i'd kill u for this statement (give me your adress and i realy will)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)