Difference between 18 and 20 (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
Is there some sort of thing I am doing wrong in my english essays, because the most I can ever get is 18/20 for anything written in exam conditions.

I can get full marks when we have to hand in the essay, but never full marks in exam conditions. Considering that the second paper is basically 3 essays/other forms of writing, max mark I can therefore get is 54....Making a band six virtually impossible. Can someone please tell me the difference betwen an esay that gets 18/20 and 20/20? Is it just purely flair in writing, high vocab, or more sophisticated content?

Last edited:

richz

huh???????

18 is a band 6 essay, according to the cssa trials marking scheme a band 6 is between 17 and 20

rama_v

HSC
xrtzx said:
huh???????

18 is a band 6 essay, according to the cssa trials marking scheme a band 6 is between 17 and 20
lol What I an askign is what the difference is between an essay that gets 18/20 and an essay that gets 20/20. I mean how do they discriminate between the two if they are both band six, is it just flair in writing, more content, or somethign else?

tempco

HSC
usually, essays written during exams don't flow as well, or don't wrap up a well as essays done at home and such.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Take one of your essays to your teacher; they shhould explain in great deatil why it wasnt a 20. I'm in the same situation.....i only ever get 18/20....

Usually its the sophistication of language and more importantly the synthesis of ideas....(Try to move away from a linear structure)

richz

rama_v said:
\Considering that the second paper is basically 3 essays/other forms of writing, max mark I can therefore get is 54....Making a band six virtually impossible.
thats wat u said :rolleyes:

rama_v

HSC
xrtzx said:
thats wat u said :rolleyes:
oh, sorry when I said band six, I meant adding on my mark from the first paper as well, which is usually about 38/45. therefore 38 + 54 = 92/105 which is not a band six (i.e. its less t han 90%)...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rama_v said:
Can someone please tell me the difference betwen an esay that gets 18/20 and 20/20?
2 marks...usually

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
see i have the same problem of getting 17/18 and all my teacher does is give comments like 'integrate' ...im like yeah, thx

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Vampire said:
see i have the same problem of getting 17/18 and all my teacher does is give comments like 'integrate' ...im like yeah, thx
well, if that's the answer, then that's obviously what's lacking. the difference between 18 and 20 comes down to skill in construction of the framework of your essay; sophistication of language, analysis and text; good integration of quotes with critics, modes of analysis and your own ideas; originality of response and full synthesis of your texts. Spelling and grammer, whilst not technicality a criteria in itself, helps differentiate between say 19 and 20 or 18 and 19

tempco

HSC
marking should be way harder. i mean, the difference between an 18 and a 20 is so much more larger than a difference between a 16 and a 18. funny now the average mark for essays isi 15~16 or so. :rolleyes:

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
see the thing is silvermoon...i do integrate, but the teacher doesn't 'rekon' it's a 19 answer so she just writes down random suggestions...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Vampire said:
see the thing is silvermoon...i do integrate, but the teacher doesn't 'rekon' it's a 19 answer so she just writes down random suggestions...
how so? sorry i meant - what do you mean by 'random'? is there anybody who you know who has gotten a better mark who would let you read their work to see what your teacher is looking for? if all else fails, either a) post a bit of work up here and we'll see if we can help or b) (probably better for you) ask your teacher to sit down with you and go through what she's looking for. a sort of one-off private lesson: if you tell her that you want to improve and have been trying but obviously just aren't quite understanding what she's looking for she can't really refuse.
oh, and totally off topic, but i luv ur name and av doll.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)