difference between combined and double dgree? (1 Viewer)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
just wondering whats the difference? like if people say they are getting a double its not really a double. how can you fit a whole 4 year uni course in just 1 year?

jb2007

HSC
Well it is a doulbe degree, you do two degree's. Like for me, at the end i'll have a Bachelor of Law and a Bachelor of Psychological Science. It just means there's a lot more work involved. I do 3 law subjects and 2 psychology subjects each semester, so if I was just doing law i'd only have the 3 subjects to worry about.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Double = combined.

For me my degree is 5 years all up:

For the business degree: 2 years are business subjects and 1 year worth of the course are electives which in my case all have to be law subjects. Here I can graduate with the business degree. Then on that there's the extra 2 years of straight law (and added to this are the 1 year of electives taken earlier so i can graduate with the LLB.)

Double degrees are structured so you can take common units that get credited to both degrees. If you were to do them as a single degree each instead of taking common units you'd be able to take electives to make up another major.

Last edited:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
its the same workload just over a longer time(1-2 extra years).

Roguedeth

HSC
not really double degrees do 5 subjects minimum where as single do 4 subjects

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Roguedeth said:
I'm doing a double degree and only have to do 4 subjects a semester...and so does everyone else I know:S

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Roguedeth said:
Thats not true of all universities and it also depends on how many credit points your subjects are worth etc...Some uni's have subjects that are less than the average subject ie. a 2cp research subject.

In both UWS and MAC double degrees I've done 4 subjects (12 cp) i.e. the same study load as single degree students, its just over 5 years.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Roguedeth said:
Yeah what uni is it? I only have to do 4 subjects/session tho they arent that strict on it, this session for example im only doing 3 subjects.

DTFM

HSC
I believe a double degree allows you to graduate with one of the degrees first, but a combined degree requires both degrees to be completed at the same time.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
DTFM said:
I believe a double degree allows you to graduate with one of the degrees first, but a combined degree requires both degrees to be completed at the same time.
With the double you graduate with both degrees on the same day, not one after 3 years and the other after another 2 for instance.

popjiggas

HSC
is there any double/combined degree involving psychologyy and commerce?
if so at which uni?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
popjiggas said:
is there any double/combined degree involving psychologyy and commerce?
if so at which uni?
most unis would offer science/commerce, and you could then do psychology as your science major.

jannny

HSC
pretty cool combined/dbl degree:

pharmacy/commerce @ monash

Medicine/Law @ a uni somewhere in melb not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)