Difficult situation - HELP. (1 Viewer)

pleasehelpmexx

HSC
N/A
An unfortunate HSC year for me. Just a bit of information: I go to an elite school (Top 30 in NSW) and currently doing 10 units. I had a misadventure at school and was given n-determinations on two subjects (Phys and Chem) due to only completed 50% of the course assessments (give me 1%, fk me).

I can still appeal to the board to get these n-determinations out since I was in a serious illness during the year, this is risky since I would only know whether my appeal is successful on 16th Dec, the day of releasing HSC marks, which will definitely cause me insomnia everyday till then. If I see my Physics and Chem marks on the day, then my appeal is successful. If not, I don't get an ATAR which means I'm fked, and it's too late for me to repeat year 12 in a high school (I won't be going to TAFE since I don't know how I'll be able to face my family and friends while achieving extremely well in school).

There are three options I can go for:
1. Continue on doing the HSC in October and hope the appeal is successful in December. This is considered since I've done reasonably well in all my tasks (I think I will get at least 97 if my appeal is successful).
2. Repeating year 12 as this has to be discussed with my current school as Term 4 HSC 2016 is soon (Early October).
3. Get into uni with alternative pathways. I want to do Law or Actuarial and I don't think this way will get me there. Moreover I'm pretty sure in job interviews in the future, they always look for your ATAR, and if I don't have one, I am done.

Please kindly give some advice. Hopefully I could get out this maze with the help of you guys. Cheers.

Last edited:
HSC
I would say repeat Year 12. Since year 12 has been an unfortunate year for you, I'm sure your results do not reflect the best of your abilities. I mean if the appeal is successful, there's nothing to lose, it's just one term into the HSC year anyways. I'm not too sure about your current situation, but I would advise that you discuss with your year advisor or someone about your individual case.

HSC
An unfortunate HSC year for me. Just a bit of information: I go to an elite school (Top 30 in NSW) and currently doing 10 units. I had a misadventure at school and was given n-determinations on two subjects (Phys and Chem) due to only completed 50% of the course assessments (give me 1%, fk me).

I can still appeal to the board to get these n-determinations out since I was in a serious illness during the year, this is risky since I would only know whether my appeal is successful on 16th Dec, the day of releasing HSC marks, which will definitely cause me insomnia everyday till then. If I see my Physics and Chem marks on the day, then my appeal is successful. If not, I don't get an ATAR which means I'm fked, and it's too late for me to repeat year 12 in a high school (I won't be going to TAFE since I don't know how I'll be able to face my family and friends while achieving extremely well in school).

There are three options I can go for:
1. Continue on doing the HSC in October and hope the appeal is successful in December. This is considered since I've done reasonably well in all my tasks (I think I will get at least 97 if my appeal is successful).
2. Repeating year 12 as this has to be discussed with my current school as Term 4 HSC 2016 is soon (Early October).
3. Get into uni with alternative pathways. I want to do Law or Actuarial and I don't think this way will get me there. Moreover I'm pretty sure in job interviews in the future, they always look for your ATAR, and if I don't have one, I am done.

Please kindly give some advice. Hopefully I could get out this maze with the help of you guys. Cheers.

Very difficult situation indeed. i feel for you man. I personally would repeat unless you are fairly confident your appeal will be succesful.

sy37

HSC
Call a BOSLO (board of studies liason officer) and discuss this with them. They can competently give you assurance on wether or not your appeal would be successful. Furthermore, I recommend going to TAFE and taking classes eg maths / science to get you into university.

Flop21

HSC
Wait aren't n-determinations things you can work off? E.g. you submit the assignment and it's off your record. Or are n-determinations and n-awards different things?

But I don't understand, if you were sick why didn't you just ring up the school to tell them and submit a misadventure form with a doctor's certificate????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)