Difficulty of English Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

billbro

HSC
N/A
I just wish to inquire in comparison to Ext 1 what the difference in workload and difficulty is?

Also while one tends to assume those who are doing Ext 2 find english easy, where would most of you rank this subject in terms of the amount of work and how well you might perform?

Lastly I would like to inquire whether your personal preference is Ext 1 or Ext 2?

Thanks in advance.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
Hey!! i find ext 1 heaps harder then like advanced or Ext 2, but thats because i dont like crime fiction or my teacher. And i believe advance out of all have the biggest workload, because Ext 2 is like individual investigation therefore you, well I do it in my own time and stuff. with ext 1 i don't do any work honestly - got a crap teacher who doesnt care, which i know isnt good and i should motivate myself but meh..
My personal preference is English extension 2 :)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
1. Definately more workload in Ext.1 than Ext.2...In Ext.1 we're constantly working, whereas Ext. 2 you have a whole year to do your major work.

2. In terms of the amount of work I get, Ext. 2 wouldnt rank at the top. That honour would go to Modern History.

3. My personal preference is Ext. 2 - only coz I love the opportunity to do my major work. Ext. 1 is fun though, much better than Advanced English, which I find insane in comparison (for me personally)

billbro

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the input, it would seem from the two responses so far that Ext 2 is great. Im interested in doing it but I need to look at the feedback first because I like openess of Ext 2 but my Ext 1 teacher has repeated tolded me its the same amount of work if not more. The other downside is also getting the same teacher for Adv, Ext 1 and Ext 2 and personally I don't find her to be a great help.

Also out of curiosity what type od major work is everyone doing? If I take Ext 2 I would probably end up doing a short story or collection of short stories as my major work, writing something in the genre of fantasy.

serenesorrow

To be honest I find Ext 2 easier than Advanced and Ext 1 because I work at my own pace and do what I want.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
It really depends on the type of medium that you have chosen, how much do you know about your work (like your aim, outline, content, philosophy etc) and your time management

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Ok,

1. The difference is obviously even though it's english, I feel that they're two different courses. They are both hard subjects, time-consuming, pull-your-hair-out subjects, but that's the whole HSC in general. lol

2. I'm ranked first for ext 2, yet about 2nd or 3rd for ext 1. Weird I know. I find ext 1 a lot harder than ext 2. I think that's because of reading texts and the essays and exams you have to do for ext1. I am so glad ext 2 is over and done with in August. It's one of the biggest pressures that just goes. Personally I don't think ext 2 is so "hard" as such. It's just a lot of work, but I love it.

3. I love ext 2. Ext 1 I'm still hesitant towards. Some of the texts we do for Indiv and Society are really not that great. And finding related texts makes me wanna throw up. lol

So overall, ext 2 rocks. But come time for viva voce, and I'll be shitting myself.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Trigger189
2. In terms of the amount of work I get, Ext. 2 wouldnt rank at the top. That honour would go to Modern History.
really? i find modern history the easiest and requires the least amount of time...ee2 is alot more work and pressure than ext 1 if ur aiming for a band e4 mark...its quite time consuming to get it right and be consistent...ee1 is easier siply cos its more guided with directions and instructions sorta...

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Well maybe its just me. I prefer English. But our teacher also plays a large part of that. She gives us heaps of work. In my case, it wouldnt come close to the easiest or the least time consuming.

Serpentia

Originally posted by serenesorrow
To be honest I find Ext 2 easier than Advanced and Ext 1 because I work at my own pace and do what I want.

hmm I agree to an extent

but because there is more freedom, it is easier to forget about it.... you need self discipline for extension 2

skittlebrau

I have more work for ext 1 than for ANY other subject... which is stupid because it's only one unit. I prefer ext 2 because it *is* a project of our own interest... If you hate a part of it, you chuck it out! Easy as!

aud

HSC
EE2 is so much more work than EE1... you also tend to have it at the back of your mind 24/7... workload is much bigger because of what you're doing, in EE1, you work towards a final exam, gathering information and ideas and concepts, in EE2, you work towards an ongoing major work with requires individual research and development of ideas...

I guess that EE2 is a lot more individually driven than EE1, if you can handle pushing yourself and not getting too lazy, you can pull off a reasonably good piece...

My preference at the moment is EE2, cause EE1 is sucky :D

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
hmmm, i think that ext1&2 each have a big workload, but in their own way...... with ext 1, there is a LOT to be doing, but at least the teacher is always there to assist you (or, like ours, criticise you!), but with ext 2, like aud says, is always in the back of your mind......... our ext2 class has no formal lessons, and therefore i find it really hard to get motivated!
I enjoy ext2 waaaaaaaaay more than ext1 though....... if i wasnt for ext2, i probably wouldnt even be doing ext1, cuz i really dont enjoy ext1........ i dread going to class, and im going pretty damn badly in it really. retreat from the global seriously sux (im guessing a lot of people agree with that? lol)

ext 2 is better, but unfortunately you cant do it without ext1.......................... :p

billbro

HSC
N/A
Thanks to all of you for replying, it kind of helps but I still have a year to decide.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
try it. if you dont like it, then drop it! simple...
HOWEVER.... its very easy to get lazy and slack off in ext2... thats my big problem.. ive been threaten by my teacher how many times...ive avoided him how many times! and the times when i want to find him?.. shhheesh! good luck! its a constant game of hide and seek...
with ext2, im doing a critical response..... my BIG problem? i feel stupid. titally and utterly stupid.. as i mentioned in another thread, i come up with a kewl concept or idea... but when i try to explain it.. or when i analyse it further im left thinking..."andd then?..." its frustrating running round in circles not knowing what your doing but knowing that if your butt doesnt get a move on it'll soon have a foot kicking it!

billbro

HSC
N/A
grk_styl, yeah im in prelim.

Im currently taking Ext 1 Maths, Ext 1 English, Chemistry, Physics, Economics and EES. So im considering dropping EES next year for Ext 2 English though EES is essentially a bludge.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Earth and Enviromental Science...very easy course but kind of boring although it is the best choice in that line, originally I was doing Ancient History but the topic selection was apalling.

Its a fairly big workload but im still coping pretty easily probably because my school isn't highly competitive being private not selective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)