• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difficulty of English Ext 2? (1 Viewer)

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
hahah yeah nice one..

If u dont do a print medium, then u have to have very good time management, but i guess u need that for print medium too....i dont actually thinks its too hard, just a lot of time..

haha i'm just repeating what everyone else had basically said..

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Extension 1 has more work and it's harder. Extension 1 is in depth anaylsis and shit. Extension 2 is simply making a big bit of work in a field area you like. It's a big bludge by comparison.

nattylee

HSC
extension 2 is better, i hate the individual in society in extension 1. we're studying browning, pride and prejudice and doll's house. the major work is fun to do when you get started, its scary until you do it.

asha_ramirez

HSC
I like ee1 because we're doing postmodernism and the texts rock... well ... some of them at least! And its a nice change from the heavyness of the advanced course, to be allowed some freedom to form your own opinions in the ee1 course.

ee2 is good... but yes... forcing yourself to work when nothing is coming, sucks! I haven't even broken 3000 words yet. stupid short story... it should be shorter! dammit!
I'm thinking about starting an entirely new story and putting it in as the end of the first story... its sort of postmodern.. sort of lazy. But I like writing the beginning of stories far more than the end.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
There's a shitload of info here, and its helped me try to decide what to do...I mean, I wanted to do EE2 anyway, but now I'm just totally keen.

Bad thing is though, is that I've got an idea for a short story fully mapped out with characters, setting and plot worked out completely...and I don't even know if the school is going to let me take it on. I'm worried about the word limit, only I think I'll be way over since the plot is so developed that it could be turned into a novel or a film.

I'm aiming for 8, 800 words...10% over so I shouldnt lose too many marks.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i don't think the ten percent rule applies in eng xx.
you HAVE to be within the word limits.

pitted

HSC
N/A
dont be fooled man, i know some people on here have said that going over the word limit is not too bad but from what i know is that markers will penalise if u do go over the word limit - although i have heard that the works in last years showcase went over the limit (idk if thats true coz i have not counted the words within those works) but the markers do know if you have gone over the word limit and they dont like it.....i think i am write....mayb i should count those words in the showcase ????? ok i will...its a bit sad but i wanna know the truth goddamnit~!! so my advice is NEVER EVER go above the word limit. ill get back to u about the word limit on the showcase works.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Some of the ones in showcase seem soooo much longer than mine (the actual essay was 4,300 I think) but their reflections seem about the same so maybe they do allow leeway :\ hmm, I dunno

cheezsandwich

????

personaly i hate word limits. i understand why they have them and everything but really when are you gonna be asked in the "real world" to produce a work of creative writting within a two thousand word buffer?

what would have tolkien said if somone said "hey man, write me a great fantasy novel about these midgets with hairy feet and some pale guy with a bad back, but it can only be six to eight thousand words."
Tolkien: i think not! maybe i'll just write a postmodernist piece that is really moody and brooding.
BAM! we just lost one of the greatest fiction stories ever told. and there goes peter jacksons chance to direct the movie. now what are these rich merchant bankers going to invest their money in? sex, drugs and rock and/or roll. so we have a whole bunch of middle aged white guys with lots of money and drugs thinking (purely because of the drugs) "wow i've wasted my life." so they all go and give their money to the poor and the world lives happily ever after...

Hmmmmm maybe word limits are a good thing

hope i answered your question, tune in next week for my tips on how to grow a lovely looking cherry blossom in your very own backyard

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh for christ's sake,

1) lord of the rings sucks giant monkey penis

and

2) because if there weren't limits people would be writing these 40,000 word mini epics and they have to pay $65/hr for people to mark them.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I loathe advanced. It's so pre-determined, everything has a definitive answer and it's all boxed in and boring. With the extensions you're meant to be creative and explore concepts, so when you get to write an essay or whatever you've got this huge bank of really stimulating ideas to draw from, and make your own conclusions. I hate the way advanced just expects you to talk about specific techniques when analysing a text etc etc. There's nothing challenging (which in a way makes it so much harder?!)

cheezsandwich

Lord of the rings is like the coolest thing since star trek!!!!

Lord of the rings is like the coolest thing since star trek!!!!

i totaly agree that LOTR is comparable to a giant baboon genetalia and i also understand that word limits are essential.

i was merely expressing my frustration at the limit it placed on my "creative potential" in a some what abstract and unnessessary way.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The word limit is in place not only as a guide for a 'maximum' word count for efficiency of marking but also as a definition of each medium and form. It is there to test out your skills in writing within a limit, unfortunately there is a small amount of exams, or otherwise in real life that do not require a limit so i suggest get used to it and yes there is a leeway anyway.

pitted

HSC
N/A
so there is a leeway??????
i dont think thats very fair.
what about all of us who have taken the word limit seriously???
a little bit too seriously admittedly
(BTW i cant b bothered with checking the word limits on showcase :$ sorry!)
neway
for me i was over but i cut it down and its tight now.... not all that great - considering the lack of any feedback - cept for tomorrows angel, and the other person (sorry forgot who it was :$) - so maybe i needed those extra words, maybe i didnt but i dont think its fair if u place a word limit and then say
"o its ok if u go over, we understand that its hard. We know that quality is hard to produce in 8000 words so go over....its ok"
that is bull
that is wrong
personally (i know this sounds bad but what the hell) i think that anyone who goes over ANY word limit should not b allowed to get 50/50 coz its wrong. and they shouldnt b allowed in the showcase - coz it just promotes ppl in breaking the rules aand isnt the BOS a stickler on rules>?
so thats my rant and rave
just one fair question
if there is a leeway.....let me believe its still an if.....what is it? how many words can u go over? or is it a percentage?
thanks heaps
ciao

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
At my school at least, assessments are always allowed to be within 10% of the word limit (as in, 10% under the minimum or 10% over the maximum) before marks start getting deducted. That seems kinda stupid to me - why not just make the word limit an extra 10% either way and then don't allow any leeway, but whatever, those're the rules (I also don't get the point of mimimum word limits either - if you can't get up to the word limit you've either written extremely succinctly, or you've missed stuff, and either way the extra words are going to be just padding, but whatever.).

I think the problem with word limits in the mw's is that while a work may seem long, there's the possibility that it's still within the limit (depending on how the work's written), and so the marker would have to count every single word (or scan every page into a computer and get the computer to do a word count), which would take a very long time. Maybe students should have to state their word count in their rs or something, so the bos can cut out the leeway.

Anyway, the point of this way too long post is that leeway in word limits sucks.

And one last thing, and I'm not too sure if this makes me a geek or whatever, but how can EE2 students think that Lord of the Rings is a bad book? That's like saying that Shakespeare was a hack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)