Digital cameras (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I've gotta buy a digital camera before graduation

Tell me people, what should I be looking out for?

I want a camera that I can record video on... but mainly I just wanna use it for normal photos...

I'd like a reasonable resolution, good enough to store a lot of pix good enough to print out at Kodak

But I dont want it too fancy, in case I lose it or break it

Oh yeh, another thing, whats the deal with printing photos at Kodak, do the photos need to be a certain resolution or something?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i got a casio the slim (exilim) camera (mp3 player/notetaker too)
its about 400? i dunno the price now
its has video about 30 seconds of video thoz so thats bad thing its a limited on digital video =/

here the site
http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
Oh yeh, another thing, whats the deal with printing photos at Kodak, do the photos need to be a certain resolution or something?
at any photo printing outlet, they'll be taking your media (be it CF, MMC, SD, MS, etc) and they'll insert it into an X-in-1 card reader (could be 2 in 1, could be 3 in 1, 4 in 1, 8 in 1, whatever :))

it doesn't really matter about the resolution, but of course, the higher the better. they'll only be able to print at the highest quality that the machine is able to handle (which, in itself, is photo-quality/superb).

that doesnt mean you can take pictures at the lowest quality (say 1MP) and expect the best results.

Originally posted by tonberry_kun
700ish should get u a nice one
I bought my Kodak DX4330 last year for $699 (or 700 :p), but it came to about $900 when I had to purchase 4x NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries, (rechargeable), the charger itself (rapid charger in 4 hrs from flat to full) and then the case/holder.

i also purchased a 64MB SD card (secure digital, they're the size of a postage stamp) so that was another $112 (at the time, they are cheaper now, you could probably get 128MB SD cards for a cheap price too).

but things you would want to get:
- additional batteries (rechargeable)
- a charger
- a camera case
- removable storage, be it multimedia cards/MMC (same size as SD or secure digital).

i've never liked SmartMedia (they are huge) or Compact Flash (CF) cards, again... it's the size. most digital cameras will be using MMC/SD so that's the way to go, unless you're using Sony's cameras (which store photos on magicgate/memory sticks).

the camera itself?
- at least 2MP (megapixels), go for 3 or 4 if you've got the money (i have a 3.1MP, but i rarely take pics with large resolutions).
- try and get internal storage (i have a 16MB internal memory, so i dont always rely on the additional expansion/removable media)
- an LCD is nice, if at all possible, get a large screen (mine's 1.8")

okay, so im promoting my camera :p
optical zoom is a huge bonus, when you want to zoom in/out, versus digital (crappy) zoom.

but you can find heaps of specs at:
www.kodak.com.au

from there you can browse around,
'digital cameras and technology'
'digital cameras'
DX series - performance and control
DX4330

i think they should be pretty cheap now, around $600 or so? (maybe less).

it's an easy, all around, user-friendly camera that does the lot.
(i can record up to 10 mins or so of video on my 64MB SD card)
stores a few hundred pics, internal memory and external SD card.
(more if you've got 128MB of course).

:)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
i rarely take pics with large resolutions
you did the other day!

hmm im thinking about getting a sony though

a lot of my friends have em; they seem very sexy

Huy

HSC
N/A
you did the other day!
that was for you! :p

my brother has a sony (two in fact, one of those new cybershot ones -- you know the sleep-walking ads, DSCP7 or something, and he's got the HUGE-ASS F707 which is 5 megapixels... he never uses it too the nong lol!)

sonys are great, but the lcds are pretty small IMO. and they seem too "fiddley" when it comes to configuration/options, too many buttons, everything is tiny, many menus/screens, etc.

kodak cameras are great, comes with pre-configured settings/modes (flick the switch to whatever setting, and that's it), and you've got 3 buttons essentially.

1. delete (to delete pics :))
2. review (to see the pics you've taken)
3. menu (goes into the menu screeen)

and you've got a multi-directional pad (up down left right) as well as a great little "OK" button for confirming/accepting.

neat camera, rated #1 in ease of use with the EasyShare Dock :D

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeh.. come to think of it, i hate how on the sonys you have to press the middle of the arrow buttons for "ok"...

Huy

HSC
N/A
this is my camera here, on ebay you'll find heaps of goodies with it.

this auction has the new EasyShare Dock (version 2), comes with a 64MB MMC additional storage, kodak gear camera bag, and a memory card (SD/MMC) card holder, how cool is that, all for $700

BTW this isn't my auction or anything, i just wanted to find a pic of my camera (front, back and the dock itself) to show what a bargain it was (i got my entire "kit" 9 months ago... and the prices are about the same, if not a little less now, sure beats my purchase :))

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2947940085&category=30007

hey orange, if i catch you at UNSW's open day you cna play around with it and take pics, record video clips (quicktime .mov files) and what not :)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
you did the other day!

hmm im thinking about getting a sony though

a lot of my friends have em; they seem very sexy
I have a sony dsc-p9 the old 4mp one, there are newer sony's that are cheaper now, a newer revision of this camera, shouldn't cost much more than $800 I think, I do like the camera and it's sexiness :D

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Sony's break down. Canons are generally great.

Buy a digital camera made by a normal camera brand. Eg: Buy Kodak/Canon/Nikon. They generally make better cameras/lenses.

For formal photo taking buy something small, like the Canon Powershot S400. Check here: www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons400/
Or the IXUS II. It's nice.

I bought a Powershot S45 earlier this year - and it's great - but its a little chunky for carrying around to everything. You want something small.

fatmuscle

HSC
Pentax 430RS!!!

are there 1Gb CF in Aust? or do they even exist?

128's just aren't big enough...

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Yeah - around $450/500+ depending where you get it from.

256 megs are nice and cheap at about $120 at the moment, and even with 4MP pics, thats a lot of photos.
Check out this place: http://www.mittoni.com.au/
($488 for 1G CF here)

T

tactic

i use to have a sony.. it was alright to start off with.. then it got annoying because you couldnt really change any option..

so if you just want simple point and shoot they are alright

but if u want point and shoot and the ability to change a lot of features get a canon

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
hey orange, if i catch you at UNSW's open day you cna play around with it and take pics, record video clips (quicktime .mov files) and what not :)
teehee, thanks Huy :)
Hmmm well I'm tossing up between Canon and Sony now.. but I'll see
The thing I'm worried about is that new cameras always come out, so if I buy a new one it'll be outdated in 10 minutes =/ oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)