Digital cameras (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
The thing I'm worried about is that new cameras always come out, so if I buy a new one it'll be outdated in 10 minutes =/ oh well
that's the rate of technological development nowadays,
build a new PC (or buy a few parts), a few months down the track and it has lost it's value.

so the tip here is, buy what you can, when you can, and get the best deal for that particular instant/moment!

there's no point in saying "mmm... i wont buy a PS2 because in 5 years time, it'll be half price" -- buy it now, enjoy it now! :)

(the same goes for digital cameras, computer parts and anything else). look around, shop smart, look out for the bargains/deals/specials and see what's available/on the market NOW, instead of saying "there'll be something better next year, so i'll keep on saving" (this works, but if you can't wait for something 'bigger/better', then get the best value for money now, and buy/enjoy it :))

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
but on that - things seem to be levelling out at the moment, with 3/4MP cameras now becoming the common thing.
also - for anything you will ever need it for, 3 or 4 MP is plenty!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah?
So for lots of memory, what should I be going for?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yeah?
So for lots of memory, what should I be going for?
a minimum of 64MB

if you've got the money, get a 128MB (it couldnt hurt to store more pictures/vids), although I delete my pics (off the memory card) and store them on computer, so it's only temporary storage.

there are 256MB MMC/SD cards (i would imagine), so that's another (pricey) option, but definately 64-128MB is the standard, don't go for 16MB-32MB, you'll use it up in no time.

(again, if you're only holding the pics there temporarily, say for a few hours while you're out taking snaps, then coming home to transfer them onto cd-rom/hard disk, then 32MB will be fine).

i've got a 64MB SD card at the moment, i wanted to get a 128MB (this was about 9 months ago though), but it was too expensive.

:)

Fosweb

HSC
yeah - i'd be saying a minimum 256 megs, especially considering that the price difference between 64 and 256 is about $40...
and with 3/4 MP pics, depending on the camera, they can get past 500kb each.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmm I know that Sony saves on Memory Stick or whatever you call it... what do the others save on?

I borrowed my friend's Canon for something, i have no idea what it saves on

Huy

HSC
N/A
Hmm I know that Sony saves on Memory Stick or whatever you call it... what do the others save on?
Sony uses the Memory Stick (MS), optional MagicGate
Kodak (the older models) will be using Compact Flash (CF)

But most recent cameras will make use of MMC/SD.
MultiMedia Cards and Secure Digital.

The new Kodaks are using MMC/SD, but I would say that they're phasing out the SmartMedia (SM) cards, Compact Flash (CF) and the rest,

So buying MMC/SD would be not a problem, as most mp3 players, digital cameras, etc use MMC/SD. (besides Sony).

I'm not sure about the Canon's, but if they're small enough, they'd use MMC/SD, but if they're fairly bulky, I'd say they'd use the slim Smart Media cards, or the 'thick' Compact Flash cards (which are cartridge-like)

Originally posted by fatmuscle
minimum 64? that's a bit low for now isn't it?
I have 16MB (internal) in my camera, with an additional 64MB SD card in there, and it stores a few hundred pics at the lowest resolution (640*480), and they're large enough to print at any local photography store/outlet. I can't really tell the difference in terms of 2MP, 3MP or 4MP (other than the file size). Maybe it's my eyes :)
For my Kodak camera, 64MB is plenty. I have a few mates who only rely on the internal 16MB storage. Although I do recommend 128MB cards. (I think they are about $80 for 128MB Panasonic SD's? I bought mine last year and it was $120+ for 64MB).

Originally posted by Fosweb
yeah - i'd be saying a minimum 256 megs, especially considering that the price difference between 64 and 256 is about $40...
and with 3/4 MP pics, depending on the camera, they can get past 500kb each.
That's true about the file size, with 3/4MP cameras taking up 300-500KB+ file sizes per picture, but you wouldn't be taking excessive amounts of pictures on any given day (even special occasions etc) at the highest resolution. Even if you did, you wouldn't be taking more than 36 pictures (compared to traditional film/rolls of 24 or whatever).

It depends on the person's usage I guess.
I think 16MB to 32MB isn't enough, so anywhere in the 64-128MB range is fine. But 256MB is "too much" (but you can never have enough ;)). Again, if money is not an issue, then you can go all out and purchase to your heart's content.

Price difference of $40 between 64MB MMC/SDs and 256MB SD cards? I haven't seen that before,

MMC:
32MB for $39
64MB for $55
128MB for $89

SD:
32MB for $44
64MB for $59
128MB for $99
256MB for $155

These are all "SanDisk" branded.
pricing taken from:
www.scannerplace.com.au/camera_acc.htm

From 128MB to 256MB, the best "bang for buck" would be the 256MB, so if you can afford it, go for it :)

My 64MB MMC card has dropped by 50% in the past 12 months, so I might be looking into the 256MB MMC range for 90 bucks. :)

Last edited:
T

tactic

wow expensive!! Huy if you want 128MB SD transcend for 40$ let me know :)

T

tactic

teehee, thanks Huy :)
Hmmm well I'm tossing up between Canon and Sony now.. but I'll see
if i had a choice canon wins hands down....
sony isnt as good as canon for the low end cameras i think.. once they get up to the high send they catch up but they are still not as good as canons

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i have no idea of what you just said Huy so ok

Anybody have a Canon model they'd recommend?

Huy

HSC
N/A
i have no idea of what you just said Huy so ok
:confused:
I didn't post anything/say anything?
Anybody have a Canon model they'd recommend?
I hear the IXUS range are very good, but it's what I've heard so you can't take that as gospel (2% of the time ;))

T

tactic

Canon Powershot IXUS V3 Digital Camera

3.2 MegaPixel 2x Optical Zoom PS Digital IXUS V3. brushed stainless steel, equivalent to 35 70mm with a fast f/2.8-4.0 aperture,DIGIC image processor, Continuous movie recording, playback with audio and on-camera editing for up to 3 min
$859.00

really depends on how much you want to spend

BUT i would advise you to check out JB hifi in parra this is where i got my cam (old sony) from during a sale it was about 900 bux i told him i would come in tomorrow so he droped the price (800) and remembered his name.. came in next day found him and he droped the price to 740$ and this was with NO bragining..

so if i were you i would check them out if its not to far to drive

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
:confused:
I didn't post anything/say anything?
that whole really long post... none of it makes sense to me
Originally posted by tactic
i would advise you to check out JB hifi in parra ... so if i were you i would check them out if its not to far to drive
yeh eheheh i should go there on the weekend...
IXUS eh... i think a lot of my friends have it... 3 of em have the same camera

Huy

HSC
N/A
that whole really long post... none of it makes sense to me
Oh I see.
I was just answering your "what are the common types of media used in cameras today" question.
And I wanted to comment on the pricing for 64, 128 and 256MB MMC/SD cards vs storage, usage, etc.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
buy all things such as phones or digicams OVERSEAS ~!

the price is close to HALF or mayb evn more than half of the rrp here

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah I could do that, but I'd have to wait until January next year

Fosweb

HSC
btw - those price differences before were for compact flash cards ($40 between 64 and 256 megs.)

Canon has always used CF, until they brought out their newer Ixus II, which had to change to MMC/SD because it is much smaller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)