Diploma of Languages (1 Viewer)

HSC
Very interested in taking up a diploma of languages (japanese or greek, leaning more towards japanese though), and am looking to see what experiences/thoughts people have had in the following dip.lang programs :

-Macquarie
-UNSW
-USYD

From what I've seen, they seem to be well regarded and promoted - but I know that can account for nothing sometimes.

Macq offers a lot of distance ed units for languages- which I find to be very convenient but maybe feeling it might sacrifice opportunities to do more in class learning/use of language around people. USYD and UNSW seem to be more intensive, no distance classes from what I can see.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you actually want the diploma or are you just looking to learn a language?

HSC
To be honest, at this stage it would be to purely learn the language for the enjoyment of learning a language. I would add the language units into my electives but I already have my plan worked out so I can do my double major for microbiology :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, because I know a user here - she wants to learn Russian and she takes classes at Sydney uni for it, though she goes to a different uni.

Perhaps just consider those courses... maybe? I dunno.

HSC
Yeah I saw that USYD offers some stand alone language courses that are about $300 or so that anybody can take part in and are usually night classes. I'm in no rush for answers, just looking for opinions/experiences.

Does she seem to enjoy the way they structure the language classes?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah I saw that USYD offers some stand alone language courses that are about $300 or so that anybody can take part in and are usually night classes. I'm in no rush for answers, just looking for opinions/experiences.

Does she seem to enjoy the way they structure the language classes?
Yeah those are the ones.

Umm... well the username is 'kfnmpah'. Go and ask her yourself. I think she really enjoys it though.

acemusic415

HSC
I study a language at UNSW as part of my International Studies degree, but I am not doing my diploma. It's demanding as they expect you to keep up every week. As for me, I find it difficult to improve on speaking due to the mere fact that I don't have korean friends nor am I korean. So there's a lot of dedication entailed to improve your skills. All in all, it's decent. It's hard work but very rewarding.

HSC
Thanks for the response, much appreciated! :)
That's a concern I share as well. If I learn japanese I would have nobody to talk to verbally, but greek. well I could call my dad...but we don't really talk much to begin with xD

acemusic415

HSC
Same here. I suggest you to join the Nippon Students' Association in UNSW as you can meet many japanese students that are either Japanese-Australian or international students. I'm trying to join the Korean Students' Association, but I can't seem to find them. Try asking them about a possible body program. I know with the KSA, they have a buddy program funded by the Arts and Social Sciences department, where they pair a korean student to non-korean students. The Nippon Students' Association might have that or something similar, so try asking. Aside from that, if you wish to improve, you would have to immerse yourself in Japanese culture - JPop, dramas and anime etc etc.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
for unsw, doing a diploma of language is pretty much equivalent of doing a major in a language (as in the courses u do).
I've only done chinese at UNSW and its pretty good. its hard work if you want to learn it properly, i.e. grinding through remembering the words/characters/meanings.
but theres no other way. and as mentioned above getting the speaking practise is challenging. but nevertheless, it'll give you a good base for the language once you complete the diploma. You could always travel to the country of your language for a month or longer after (for leisure or taking a further language course), and that'll give a good grasp on the language.

on a side note, if i'm not wrong, it'll take 3 years to complete, simply because you have to take 1a,1b,2a,2b,3a,3b?
so i'm interested to know what else you're going to do while you're completing the diploma

ps: if u do greek, u wont be able to do it at unsw.

theMoment

HSC
Same here. I suggest you to join the Nippon Students' Association in UNSW as you can meet many japanese students that are either Japanese-Australian or international students. I'm trying to join the Korean Students' Association, but I can't seem to find them. Try asking them about a possible body program. I know with the KSA, they have a buddy program funded by the Arts and Social Sciences department, where they pair a korean student to non-korean students. The Nippon Students' Association might have that or something similar, so try asking. Aside from that, if you wish to improve, you would have to immerse yourself in Japanese culture - JPop, dramas and anime etc etc.
This is the members forum:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/ksa.talkandtalk/

This is like community page where execs communicate:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/ksa.unsw/

This is the UNSW KSA website:
http://www.unswksa.com/

kfnmpah

HSC
I've learnt russian at usyd (through CCE not diploma) and it was great.

but, i'm transferring from UNCLE to macquarie because I've heard good things about their language dept and they have the widest range, so i'm assuming they're to go-to-uni for languages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)