• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Disadvantage going to UWS? or not? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
What it comes down to it,
Is UWS (as an entire institution) better than USYD/UNSW/UTS?
NO.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
have u been to uws, and actually studied there? because until u have been to all those unis, you cant say for sure that uws isnt better than all of them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
shortygb said:
have u been to uws, and actually studied there? because until u have been to all those unis, you cant say for sure that uws isnt better than all of them.
I have studied at every single uni and I can say UWS is the best.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shortygb said:
dude, the only reason youre going to UWS is because your UAI was shit. You just made the exact cutoff.
And no, you don't need to have studied at every one of those unis to know which university, as an entire institution is better. UWS is worse, overall, in almost every aspect.
I don't like using the rankings as they are pretty ambiguous, but I'm sure that UWS will never make any renowned rankings publications for unis as it's not even considered to be in competition with the others.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
larab said:
uws, apart from parra, has a shit location, there is shit government funding, uai cut offs are not as high, some courses are renowned for being no where near as good at uws, admin is lazy, i.t. is lazy and combined degrees are a bitch if you have to go to 2 campuses, prestige may be good in some employer's eyes so uws isn't good if you wanna work in some backward "old-boys" type firm, we don't have a gym/pool at every campus
Now how hard was it to say all that. Not sure about the 'backwards' old boys firm comment. There was an article a few years back from a legal recruiting company which said there was no bais against non g8 unis in the area of law. It was just that they found that after the selection process the better graduates just happen to come from the G8. If uws produced super high quality grads large firms would have little issue with hiring them. UNSW law is actually younnger than Maqu law but it beats maqu law for percieved graduate quality. If UWS produces top quality grads in the next 10 to 15 years then larger places will start to hire law grads from uws on the basis of past experience of new uws grads.

The concept of prestige is perfectly legitimate. It's not based on snobbery. UWS has simply not been around as long as the other universities. As such there are not as many uws graduates out from uws that can make a name for their university in their chosen field. Usyd, unsw or other older univerisites have track records which an employer can rely. This is what prestige is. Put simply an recruiting company may go with graduates from the university which has a proven record of putting out graduates that suit the the employment environment. If the university is new the graduates are more of an unknown quantity and the recruiting company may be more wary of hiring them.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shortygb said:
i may have only made the cutoff, thats why im going to uws, but it doesnt mean i think its the worst uni, im happy to complete my degree at uws.

and who says that "UWS is worse, overall, in almost every aspect", that may be your opinion and isnt really true. uws may not be the best uni, but it certainly isnt the worst...it jsut has a bad image compared to the other "prestige" unis. once again you cant judge uws until you have actually studied there, and not judge uws by its image alone.
I haven't studied at Harvard, Stanford or Yale; or even Brown, Berkeley, Chapel Hill (well, not for another 6 months :p ), a selection of the top Melbourne unis; BUT I can easily say that they all shit all over USYD (where i do currently study).

P.s. You haven't actaully studied at UWS either.

L

LaraB

wheredanton said:
Now how hard was it to say all that. Not sure about the 'backwards' old boys firm comment. There was an article a few years back from a legal recruiting company which said there was no bais against non g8 unis in the area of law. It was just that they found that after the selection process the better graduates just happen to come from the G8. If uws produced super high quality grads large firms would have little issue with hiring them. UNSW law is actually younnger than Maqu law but it beats maqu law for percieved graduate quality. If UWS produces top quality grads in the next 10 to 15 years then larger places will start to hire law grads from uws on the basis of past experience of new uws grads.

The concept of prestige is perfectly legitimate. It's not based on snobbery. UWS has simply not been around as long as the other universities. As such there are not as many uws graduates out from uws that can make a name for their university in their chosen field. Usyd, unsw or other older univerisites have track records which an employer can rely. This is what prestige is. Put simply an recruiting company may go with graduates from the university which has a proven record of putting out graduates that suit the the employment environment. If the university is new the graduates are more of an unknown quantity and the recruiting company may be more wary of hiring them.
i have ALWAYS said there are pros and cons at uws... you however fail to mention anything bad about any other uni..

and again - all you did is quote the one part of my post that refers to negative things and base your little spiel entirely on that

your first point is just point;ess as this view has been debated over and over and you don't have any examples of firms who don't hire uws grads so you cannot state unequivocally that you know that this happens.. nor do you know that all the so called "good" law grads are not from uws...

again - you totally ignore the fact that law is broad and not eveyr student even goes into practice as a legal practitioner... these large firms are generally corporate law firms in which these grads are legal practitioners which proves nothing because that is just one small part of the many avenues taken by l aw grads...

a proven track record and prestige are two completely different things... the former is "reputation" which is different from prestige

again - you assume that students at these other unis are all good reps for the uni and will continue this 'proven track record' when this IS NOT necessarily the case.. there will incompetent morons who graduate from every uni.. being aat a "prestigious" uni will not mean you automatically are exempt from this.

and i did not say that prestige is entirely based on snobbery... in fact i said that generally snobbery is associated with the 'prestige unis'... that is a COMPLETELY different thing and is completely true as many people taking your side of the argument have agreed since they believe that all UWS students are the epitomy of the opposite to 'snobs' since everyone claims we are all poor, stupid, moronic, illiterate bogans

rather than coming in here just to tell us how shit UWS is and why you're all such superior beings it would be nice to see a geniuinely non-biased opinion - ie one that says something apart from "My uni is better than uws"...

all you are doing by posting NOTHING of the negatives about your unis (which we are all well aware of the existence of) is perpetuatating the same smart-assed, snobby, self absorbed, ignorant view of students at your unis by others that you all so ardently claim never has and never will exist at your unis...

Last edited by a moderator:

Alimoe_KG

HSC
LaraB basically wants us to lie.

Because a genuinely non-biased evaluation will ultimately come to the conclusion that UTS/UNSW/USYD/Macq IS better than UWS overall :confused: Like wtf? It's almost common sense. Yeah other uni's have their cons. Like you said, every uni does. It just so happens that other unis have more pros than UWS and less cons than UWS.

I say UWS isn't a very good Uni for MOST degrees and that as an institution, it lags severely behind other universities. How the hell is me saying that automatically implying that i'm a superior being to UWSers? =/ I freely admit that LaraB might very well be more intelligent than me. But UWS will never be in the same league as the other 4 unis and if it gets close, you'll be too old or dead to benefit.

You just keep defending UWS and i'll just keep warning everyone to avoid it. Not that most sensible people need that warning.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Why do you say this?
I think we can say that it is a good uni for most degrees, but it's not AS GOOD as other unis for most degrees.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
LaraB said:
i have ALWAYS said there are pros and cons at uws... you however fail to mention anything bad about any other uni..
You are free to list them if you like.

and again - all you did is quote the one part of my post that refers to negative things and base your little spiel entirely on that
Well, um, I'll quote it all for you this time? I not sure if you are the self proclaimed arbiter of how people read your posts and what they are allowed to pick out of your posts. I'm allowed to pick any part of your point and have a chat about it. I could never really take any of your posts in their entirity because they are rants. It is hard to synthesise them in their entirity as they tend to jump around everywhere.

your first point is just point;ess as this view has been debated over and over and you don't have any examples of firms who don't hire uws grads so you cannot state unequivocally that you know that this happens.. nor do you know that all the so called "good" law grads are not from uws...
I stated that there was an article in the law society journal a while back about this very topic, I believe it was posted by Frigid once. The top tier law firms tend to hire mostly from to g8. The article suggest that this was not based on any inherent university bias but on the selection process that found that at the end of the process those selected where most often largely from the g8.

Additionally I did not proclaim that I KNOW what happens. When someone writes something you should be clever enough to know that what they are writing is opinion much like what you write is your opinion. There is a difference between someone presenting their opinion and affirming that something is in fact true.

I think you would get into trouble in court if you took an opinion and misrepresented what the other person said.

I also never suggested that there were no good law grads from uws. Take a chill pill and settle down. You read every post as an attack on your university. The level of university evangelism and faith you show borders on the cult like.

again - you totally ignore the fact that law is broad and not eveyr student even goes into practice as a legal practitioner... these large firms are generally corporate law firms in which these grads are legal practitioners which proves nothing because that is just one small part of the many avenues taken by l aw grads...
You may want to read what you wrote there. While a significant proporation of law grads do not practice I think people do law in order to practice law, after all you do go to a 'law school'.

I don't think uws would do too well if it based its advertisment on *90% of our law grads decide not to work in law!*

a proven track record and prestige are two completely different things... the former is "reputation" which is different from prestige
Let me play the university marker for a moment. You say they are distinguished but you don't actually justify it. Prestige is a product of a provent track record. A good reputation happens to be a product of a proven track record. These traits, when taken into their totality, result in prestige.

Also a provent track record is more anologous to a 'good reputation' not just a reputation.

again - you assume that students at these other unis are all good reps for the uni and will continue this 'proven track record' when this IS NOT necessarily the case.. there will incompetent morons who graduate from every uni.. being aat a "prestigious" uni will not mean you automatically are exempt from this.
That's why its's called 'perceived' quality.

and i did not say that prestige is entirely based on snobbery... in fact i said that generally snobbery is associated with the 'prestige unis'... that is a COMPLETELY different thing and is completely true as many people taking your side of the argument have agreed since they believe that all UWS students are the epitomy of the opposite to 'snobs' since everyone claims we are all poor, stupid, moronic, illiterate bogans
You aint helping yourself because that made no sense whatsoever. I think you misread my initial post. I don't think i mentioned anything about uws people having the traits that you list. however in some of your posts you really do try your best to give those who do hate uws some fodder to knaw on.

rather than coming in here just to tell us how shit UWS is and why you're all such superior beings it would be nice to see a geniuinely non-biased opinion - ie one that says something apart from "My uni is better than uws"...
I didn't say uws is shit :rolleyes:

For a non bias and truthful opinion read Airnesses post. But you chose to show up your victim mentality by trying rant against his post. It made no sense at all.
all you are doing by posting NOTHING of the negatives about your unis (which we are all well aware of the existence of) is perpetuatating the same smart-assed, snobby, self absorbed, ignorant view of students at your unis by others that you all so ardently claim never has and never will exist at your unis...
I'm not here to rubbish my uni. I'm here to inform you that you sound like a idiot when you get on your high horse and start posting incoherently in some kind of quest to attack people who actually come in here and try to be balanced. All my posts in this thread have not rubbished UWS. I TOLD THE TRUTH that uws may struggle for a few years because it has not be around as long as the others. IT IS A FACT.

For the stupid people out there. This does not mean that all people from uws are stupid or that all people who go to uws will not find a job. This does not mean that uws is a bad university. It means that uws hasnt had the time to establish a reputation, track record and hence prestige that the other unis have on which some recruiting companies, who believe in the notion of percieved quality, rely on when seleting graduates.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm still yet to hear why people don't judge othr uni's not in Sydney. It's a common fact that UWS is not the best uni in Sydney, whoopidoda, so get over it, becuase we are not saying it is not.
Because these universities are completely regional or specific... UWS is a generalist university that competes for students from the direct sydney area. It is the bottom of the sydney-area barrel for most students, and considered inferior because of this.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Who said she, or any other UWS law students want to work in a top tier law firm?
Are you suggesting that there is a lower than average ammount of students at UWS wishing to go to a top tier law firm? That seems quite a convenient confabulation...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How will a UWS grad not be competing for a job in Sydney? Sydney/Western Sydney is connected... the graduates do compete with each other - that is exactly why it does matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)