Disadvantage going to UWS? or not? (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
natstar said:
Well, for me, after I finish uni this year I'm not staying in Syd, I'm moving to Newcastle to get work, and probably doing post grad up there. I'm not sayingall UWS grads will do this sort of thing, but I am, and that's all I really care about
That's irrelevent to the discussion, though. :S

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
Well, for me, after I finish uni this year I'm not staying in Syd, I'm moving to Newcastle to get work, and probably doing post grad up there. I'm not sayingall UWS grads will do this sort of thing, but I am, and that's all I really care about
Just like not all USYD/UNSW/UTS/MQ grads will stay in Sydney for work.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
So do you think if a grad from one of those uni's you mentioned goes for work out of Sydney, say Newcastle, the gong, bathurst, armidale etc, grads from Newcastle uni, UOW, UNE and CSU etc will be disadvanatged?
yes.
also, lets not forget that the majority of graduates from uws, usyd, unsw, uts will go looking for work WITHIN Sydney.

j_davo24

HSC
Why does everyone use law to argue their point?

There are already far too many lawyers in this world. So much so that people file absolutely rediculous suits for no reason other than greed. Advertising for lawyers should be banned in mass media. It's ruining society.

Why don't people talk about some other degree's? Law is boring. Who cares if Jones sued Smith in 1964 for parking his car 2cm too close to his apple tree?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
j_davo24 said:

There are already far too many lawyers in this world. So much so that people file absolutely rediculous suits for no reason other than greed. Advertising for lawyers should be banned in mass media. It's ruining society.

Why don't people talk about some other degree's? Law is boring. Who cares if Jones sued Smith in 1964 for parking his car 2cm too close to his apple tree?
Law is often used because people argue that one of the main disadvantages of UWS is its level of prestige. Thus, since law is considered a prestige industry, it is used to illustrate the perceived negative effect of UWS, especially in relation to top tier law firms, which represent prestige.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
j_davo24 said:
I know, its not like everyone who goes to uni wants to study law.

Anyway:
I think the location of the Hawkesbury campus is fantastic. Sure it might be a trip and a half to get out there (it takes me 3 hours each way), but the campus is located on prime agricultural land at Richmond, which is important why? Because the courses at Hawkesbury are all animal science, agricultural and environmental. There is no way that what is taught on the Hawkesbury campus could be taught in the middle of Sydney. We have a deer paddock, and they are so sensitive to noise, that no one is allowed near them.

Also, with what dreamerish said, about UWS students not being hardworking, it may be true. It will depend on what you are studying. Every educational insitution has slackers, and uws is no different. We might have low uai's but that doesn't mean that we don't work hard.

And LaraB, do you think you could type in english like the rest of us, because your posts are annoying to read like that. Not that anyone could actually read them or be bothered to read.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Similarly, the majority of solicitors employed in the Parramatta area graduated from UWS.
and you know this, how?

furthermore, most law firms are in the city area.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Law is often used because people argue that one of the main disadvantages of UWS is its level of prestige. Thus, since law is considered a prestige industry, it is used to illustrate the perceived negative effect of UWS, especially in relation to top tier law firms, which represent prestige.
The University of Western Sydney School of Law came into existence on 1 January 2001 as a result of the amalgamation of the three federated members of the University of Western Sydney - Hawkesbury, Macarthur and Nepean.

The new School brings together the law programmes of those former federated members.
I get confused. When did uws graduate its firm law students? Combined law is 5 years so those who entered combined law in 2001 must be graduating this year. All those who have graduated must have been postgrads?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
they used to operate seperately, now there's a 'school of law' combining each of the three members. Law couldve been taken at UWS before 2001

hYperTrOphY

HSC
stazi said:
and you know this, how?

furthermore, most law firms are in the city area.
UWS Dean of Law, Professor Carolyn Sappideen, told me.

I'm not disputing the fact that most law firms - and probably all top tier law firms - are in the city area. In fact, my statement supports what you said in relation to graduates being more successful in the area of their university, and the fact that less UWS graduates make it to city law firms.

I've actually looked online for quantitative data on the % of graduates from different universities who end up at the different levels of employment and starting salaries etc - but have had no success yet. In a letter from UWS it says that "The national Graduate Careers Destination Survey has consistently shown that our graduates perform above the NSW metropolitan averahe in gaining employment and their starting salaries are increasing." I haven't found the exact survey yet though.

Not specifically relevent, but the letter also states that over the next decade UWS will be investing $100,000,000.00 into their student's future.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I meant Sydney as in 'all of Sydney' - parra, western sydney etc etc.
It's also true that a majority of graduates want to work in inner Sydney not in an out of the way suburb.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
go to a 3rd world country and go to uni there.. live in the slums and live day to day.. there is hardly any difference in teh major scheme of things, just on the small scale where u look at small, tiny, insignificant differences...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
UWS Dean of Law, Professor Carolyn Sappideen, told me.
She told me the same thing and I found she answered the whole 'opinion of employers' question very honestly and made a lot of sense. She also taught at Sydney herself and said people used to ask her the same questions about UNSW when it started teaching law, then UTS, then Macquarie etc...

But we really should stop bringing law into it, especially when we have no idea what the thread poster is actually considering studying.

To the thread poster, people are successful without uni degrees, tafe diplomas, limited education etc...it just shows that hard work can get you almost anywhere, so they way I figure it, if you go to UWS and put the effort in there is no reason why you can't be successful. After all since law is the 'hot topic' (and I know I said we should stop but this is the only example I can think of right now) I know someone who started off as a cop, became a police prosector and is now a barrister, no one cares where he started so my advice to you is, don't worry about where you start out, just work towards where you want to end up and good luck :)

Last edited:

ally15

Beep.
HSC
Id have to say, i would disagree with Cape on the hawkesbury bit. Yes it is a nice peaceful place but travelling is a real bastard and the train times are stupid. Cmon Cape, you know you wanna admit it. U dont exactly enjoy the train rides...or do u?:p

d_elmo

HSC
In response to Cape's comment:

" Because the courses at Hawkesbury are all animal science, agricultural and environmental. There is no way that what is taught on the Hawkesbury campus could be taught in the middle of Sydney. "

Actually I do Forensic Science at Hawkesbury, which is also taught at UTS...

In support of UWS on this one, the course at hawkesbury is much more hands-on than the sydney course and is also multi-disciplinary. it is programmed this way in order to give UWS students a wider knowledge of the field and hence more employment prospectives.

as an alternative example to law, i personally, as well as the staff (including a lecturer who used to work for the federal police) think the uws course is the better one to be doing...

L

LaraB

Cape said:
And LaraB, do you think you could type in english like the rest of us, because your posts are annoying to read like that. Not that anyone could actually read them or be bothered to read.
yeessss.... im sure no one can read them which is why people have responded to them and PM'd me etc... but of course - you know better.. don't read them then - i don't care - your opinion means nothing to me and you obviuosly have nothing to comment on about it so you pick at some stupid little point

nice to see after bitching and whinging about how hawkesbury campus sucks and we're all luck not to have to travel there and how we have better facilities etc you suddenly feel a desperate need to praise its every aspect....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)