Disagreeing with the question (1 Viewer)

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
For the essay can you disagree with the statement they provide. For example if its something like "Perceptions of belonging evolve in response to the passage of time. How is this view represented in...". Can your essay be formed around the idea that it doesn't and that belonging evolves because of other things?

Last edited:

HSCMASTER

Let the games begin
HSC
yes you can and it would make your essay stand out but you have to do it really well

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
For the essay can you disagree with the statement they provide. For example if its something like "Perceptions of belonging evolve in response to the passage of time. How is this view represented in...". Can your essay be formed around the idea that it doesn't and that belonging evolves because of other things?
You always have to acknowledge the question. Do what I call a 'yes but no' e.g.

"While a sense of belonging is a dynamic entity that changes as time progresses, other factors such as XYZ equally affect an individual's sense of connectivity."

Then throughout your essay dedicate 2 paragraphs (1 prescribed, 1 related) to be like "lol look what time does" but then dedicate the remaining two paragraphs to be like "lol but look what XYZ does" and then reach a conclusion that time is not the sole factor that influences an individual's sense of belonging.

In this way you are both disagreeing and agreeing with the question and this demonstrates that you know the rubric well. This is just my opinion, correct me if I am wrong.

acidsushi

HSC
It usually depends on the wording of the question. If words such as "discuss", "explore", or "to what extent" are used then you're in the clear for arguing it. If not, however, then just make sure that it's a damn good essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)