• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Discrete Maths Last Minute questions (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Because we have:

Ah right yeah, didn't read it carefully before. But I think your earlier steps are dodgy or strangely worded. Here's a way to do it.

Assume the hypotheses about A,B,C and let x be in A. If x is also in B, then x is in A∩B, which implies it's in C (since A∩B ⊆ C). If x is not in B, then x is in A – B, which implies it's in C (as A – B ⊆ C). Hence either way, x is in C, whence A ⊆ C.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Ah right yeah, didn't read it carefully before. But I think your earlier steps are dodgy or strangely worded. Here's a way to do it.

Assume the hypotheses about A,B,C and let x be in A. If x is also in B, then x is in A∩B, which implies it's in C (since A∩B ⊆ C). If x is not in B, then x is in A – B, which implies it's in C (as A – B ⊆ C). Hence either way, x is in C, whence A ⊆ C.
That's much more straightfoward. But I still think my way is perfectly valid can't see anything wrong with it :)
Thanks

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
That's much more straightfoward. But I still think my way is perfectly valid can't see anything wrong with it :)
Thanks
Possibly your intentions may have been valid, but I'm not exactly sure what you meant by your wordings. Like what did you mean when you wrote for example "Either x ∈ A ⟺ x ∈ C" near the beginning? Note also that C doesn't have to be the universal set, but it turns out that C just has to be a superset of (i.e. have as a subset) A (which is what we needed to prove). E.g. if A = {1, 2}, B = {2, 3}, and C = {1, 2, 3, 4}, then A \ B = {1} ⊆ C and A∩B = {2} ⊆ C, but it need not be that C be the universal set (since the universal set may be the set of all positive integers for example). It wouldn't then hold that Bc ⊆ C.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
If x is and element of A then x is also an element of C (a is a subset of C). I think instead of writing "or" I should've wrote "and" as it is an intersection. So the last step is not required and the proof pretty much is your proof. (Just got confused with and/or).

Edit: If it was union instead of intersection I think the last step I did would be required right?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If x is and element of A then x is also an element of C
To say this with an arrow, we should use an arrow like this: ⇒. This arrow means "if ... then" (i.e. "implies"). The one you used (double-sided arrow) instead means "if and only if" (makes sense, since that arrow goes both ways).

Drsoccerball

HSC
To say this with an arrow, we should use an arrow like this: ⇒. This arrow means "if ... then" (i.e. "implies"). The one you used (double-sided arrow) instead means "if and only if" (makes sense, since that arrow goes both ways).
I was more trying to say this implies is that the same thing?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I was more trying to say this implies is that the same thing?
"Implies" is the "if...then" (these two are the same thing) and should be written with a "⇒" arrow if you use an arrow.

"If and only if" is different (as it goes in both directions) and is denoted with an "⟺" arrow.

The "⟺" arrow can't be used for "implies", and the "⇒" arrow can't be used to mean if and only if. (Because these are two very different things.)

leehuan

HSC
Suppose that 26 integers are chosen from the set S={1, 2, ..., 50}

By writing these numbers as 2km with m odd, prove that one of the chosen numbers is a multiple of another of the chosen numbers.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Suppose that 26 integers are chosen from the set S={1, 2, ..., 50}

By writing these numbers as 2km with m odd, prove that one of the chosen numbers is a multiple of another of the chosen numbers.

Drsoccerball

HSC
The way I did it was that the worst case scenario is when we pick {26,27,...,50} since none are multiples of the other and by the pigeon hole principle we have to pick another number which is a multiple of one of the other numbers already picked.

leehuan

HSC
Consider the 10 letter word PARRAMATTA and all the words formed by rearranging its letters. How many of these words contain the subword MAP but not the subword RAT?

They gave no answer so I'm asking for checking:

Drsoccerball

HSC
Consider the 10 letter word PARRAMATTA and all the words formed by rearranging its letters. How many of these words contain the subword MAP but not the subword RAT?

They gave no answer so I'm asking for checking:

What I did was :

Words which contain map - words which containt map and rat (Also take note that rat can appear twice) + missing

leehuan

HSC
What I did was :

Words which contain map - words which containt map and rat (Also take note that rat can appear twice) + missing
Good observation. Also in my working that + should've been a minus but I need to do redo the whole thing anyway cause of the incl/excl

Drsoccerball

HSC
Good observation. Also in my working that + should've been a minus but I need to do redo the whole thing anyway cause of the incl/excl
Its funny because I only picked that up when writing my though pattern lel... Need help for the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)