Discussion: 90+ in 8 units...<70 in the other 2 (1 Viewer)

CramMaster

HSC
Hey guys. Im planning on dropping to 10 units soon.

I will be doing

- 2 U math
-4U english
- Ancient History
-Economics

I love every subject except eco. I just have a really quick question.

I am confident that I will get at least 90+ in my other subs, however lets just say I get 70 or less for economics.

How badly will I scale down? Will it be significant on my UAI?

HSC
CramMaster said:

I will be doing

- 2 U math
-4U english
- Ancient History
-Economics

I am confident that I will get at least 90+ in my other subs, however lets just say I get 70 or less for economics.

It will be significant on your UAI but much depends on what you will be aiming for. You should easily get 90+ UAI anyway with those marks...but don't take my word for it play around with values on SAM and that should give you a good indication.

Oh P.S. you're the guy who wants to drop 3unit math right? If you're headed for less than 70 in eco keep three unit math.

Last edited:

CramMaster

HSC
Oh P.S. you're the guy who wants to drop 3unit math right? If you're headed for less than 70 in eco keep three unit math.

But dude, Im probably going to get <50 man. I thought about it a lot and deep down I know its the best thing to do.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Why not keep everything incase you do completely fuck up in something?

jaaaaay

HSC
i pretty much agree with what watatank said, it really depends on what you're aiming for... in my terms of a 'good' uai.

but WOW... confident in getting 90+ for 4u english??!!! feel free to help me anytime... i thought it was extremely hard to get above 90 for adv, ext eng??? o_O

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
It's actually impossible to get 90 or more in both Extension Englishes.

jaaaaay

HSC
bringbackshred said:
It's actually impossible to get 90 or more in both Extension Englishes.
really??? why??????

HSC
CramMaster said:
But dude, Im probably going to get <50 man. I thought about it a lot and deep down I know its the best thing to do.
Dude, my 45-55% assessments all year in three unit hsc got me a 37/50 (74%) in three unit math...ahh the sweetness of scaling...

I know scaling generally shouldn't be taken into consideration but if you are getting <70 in eco 3 unit looks like an option to keep.

But see it depends what your UAI goals are. I mean you are pretty much guaranteed 90+ with those marks. If you only need say 80 for Uni then its not worth keeping. If you want to maximise your UAI as much as possible its worth keeping for now...

jaaaaay

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
They're both out of 50 ;)
lol... i don't think bringbackshred meant it that way? lol...

watatank said:
Dude, my 45-55% assessments all year in three unit hsc got me a 37/50 (74%) in three unit math...ahh the sweetness of scaling...

I know scaling generally shouldn't be taken into consideration but if you are getting <70 in eco 3 unit looks like an option to keep.

But see it depends what your UAI goals are. I mean you are pretty much guaranteed 90+ with those marks. If you only need say 80 for Uni then its not worth keeping. If you want to maximise your UAI as much as possible its worth keeping for now...
i heard that even accounting (for those who don't know, its just this really easy but boring tafe course... lol) scales higher than eco!! so i would keep maths if you're getting 70s in eco... =/
my friend who does eco is only keeping it cos she generally always gets above 90...

and despite what people say, i think scaling is extremely important...

Last edited:

woho

HSC
Economics doesn't scale too badly, its about the same as for english adv really.

I understand your problem with dropping 3unit though, its kinda the same deal with me and 4 unit (getting pretty low marks but wondering if it should be kept for the scaling)

sly_skittle

HSC
CramMaster said:

if you look around on this site for the thread on scaling it should help you make up your mind- i haven't seen it for a few months but i think that 3 unit maths scales up about 20-30% .

i did 10 units and got 96, 95, 95, 94 for 7 units and 82, 82 for 3 units and those 3 units dragged my UAI down about 3 points and once you get below 80 for a subject the scaling of the uai bec omes much worse. so if i were you i'd be keeping the 3 unit maths

cl3nta

HSC
keep the maths drop the eco. work hard and smart in maths and you shall get your desired UAI:)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
CramMaster said:

I will be doing

- 2 U math
-4U english
- Ancient History
-Economics

Don't believe your own confidence that you will get 90+ in your other 8 units. You haven't completed the course work to know whats expected and you haven't seen how well you'd go in the trials etc so don't base your expected uai on the assumption that you will get such great marks.
However, don't let me stop you! Go for it and remember that it takes a lot of work to get 90+ (well except for ancient history:p)

jaaaaay

HSC
bringbackshred said:
You and SS are both quite correct, sir.
oh ok my bad. i thought you meant it was hard to do so well in both subjects...

its seems sooooooo hard tho... even for advanced... my marks are usually 13/15... i rarely get 14... ><" i admire someone who has confidence in doing well in all 4 units of eng...

just seems a lot harder than maths...

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
CramMaster said:

I will be doing

- 2 U math
-4U english
- Ancient History
-Economics

I was confident I would get a band 6 in most of my subjects......and I ended up with ZERO band 6's plus a UAI of 46.25. I became sick and was seriously disadvantaged near the end but that's not the point. Keep everything.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
jaaaaay said:
oh ok my bad. i thought you meant it was hard to do so well in both subjects...

its seems sooooooo hard tho... even for advanced... my marks are usually 13/15... i rarely get 14... ><" i admire someone who has confidence in doing well in all 4 units of eng...

just seems a lot harder than maths...
Well according to a BOS document I read the other night, around 34% of EE2 candidates got a Band E4 last year. Seems a lot easier than other subjects, as most are aorund the top 5% or so. But then again, you are against the cream of the crop for English in the state. And if I remember correctly, EE1 had about the top 25% gettign an E4.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
timobr0 said:
I was confident I would get a band 6 in most of my subjects......and I ended up with ZERO band 6's plus a UAI of 46.25. I became sick and was seriously disadvantaged near the end but that's not the point. Keep everything.
I feel for you man. So sorry to hear that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)