Distance Courses? Are they bearable? (1 Viewer)

Oobadoo

HSC
I'm in year 10 and have already chosen my prelim subjects, though still have the opportunity to change them if I wish. I was thinking about doing Economics, though if I did, I'd have to do it by distance.

Anyone have any good advice about distance courses (any subject) and whether or not they are worth considering? :D

Brontecat

HSC
If you are self-motivated and unable to work without the consistent guidance of a teacher you will probably do well in a distance ed subject.

I'm doing Business Studies which im assuming would be kind of like Economics and i basically receive work, am told to highlight stuff (which i summarise, because highlighting does nothing lol) then i do a few mini-activities and maybe a few extended responses and send off the work that the teacher actually wanted to see.

Again, im not really too sure about economics but business is pretty staight forward and any bits that confuse me can easily be found on the internet, boredofstudies or hsconline.

But if you think you can do that i'd go for it :)

source: I do IPT and Business Studies via. distance ed through Karabar

if you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask :D

Oobadoo

HSC
Awesome! Thank you! I think I might try it out then, or at least inquire further. It'd be that over physics, which I'm not that fussed about. :p

I reckon I'd be ok cause I like working at my own pass (a little faster than my cohort... with out sounding like a dick). Though is it hard to keep motivated though? Especially without a physical teacher present, do you have to live out of text books?

MooshyMoosh

HSC
I did Japanese Beginners by distance ed for my HSC and I loved it. As long as you're motivated and enjoy the subject, then go for it.

However, there is a major disadvantage with distance courses; as other people have said, you have to teach yourself the whole way through, except from the occasional meet-up or phone call from your teacher etc. Therefore, the urge to procrastinate and leave your work and assignments to later is very big and very tempting. But as long as you make sure you give yourself enough time per week to study the subject [as with other subjects], you'll be fine. Plus, if you ever need help, you can always give your distance teacher a call, and they'll be mor ethan happy to help. :D Hope this helps!

Oobadoo

HSC
philosophy distinction course is mostly distance - wasn't too hard. just annoying sometimes when you didn't understand stuff...
Tad off the Economics topic, but I'm interested in doing the philosophy ditinction course in 2011 (I presume/have heard/read it is a hsc one year course) and I was wondering if the completion of an accelerated course was a prerequisite to Philosophy. If so, what accelerated course would you recommend (have other distinction course people done)? I have heard that alot of people complete Maths accelerated courses prior to Philosophy, though I don't think I'd at all cope with mathematics accelerated. I was thinking of Modern History or Chemistry, though would you say the risk was worth it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)