distance education.2010 (1 Viewer)

muzikk93

HSC
Heyy guys,

i was just wondering that i'm doing geography as a subject from distance ed. and for me it is getting harder and harder day by day to keep up with the amount of booklets and the pressure from loads of work... problem is that it feels like that majority of my time is being dedicated to geo... therefore i'm missing out on my precious time for the other subjects...

any advice on how to cope up with the pressure to make it balanced?

twistedrebel

HSC
1. timetable?
2. You will need to be more effective at study, you must get free periods at school USE THEM! Do not sit around and leave it for home.
3. The Work is spoused to take about 6-7 hours a week. So you will have to adjust it. If you are taking more than 8 hours a week, you need to be more efficient.

Klutsov

HSC
Time management is the most important thing: when you have your classes, get in and do the work...if you don't understand something find a teacher that can explain it at your school, or get on the phone to the DE place...study the previous work regularly-it can re-occur frequently

Brontecat

HSC
I've had pretty much the exact same problem, but im starting to get a bit better at it now :). Except I do Information Processes and Technology and Business Studies through Karabar DE and then I do an extra unit of Studies of Religion (the SOR II half) by myself (minus the assessments which are set). I kind of find that having a weekly phone call helps for IPT to discuss the work as i'm more motivated to get it done, and making a reasonable schedule for sor II where i have little work to do every week makes me want to just get it over and done with each week and i just need to do business and i get it done.

Good Luck with getting caught up, just remember you're not the only de student that feels like that and definitely not the only student who is 1-2 weeks behind atm :)

muzikk93

HSC
I've had pretty much the exact same problem, but im starting to get a bit better at it now :). Except I do Information Processes and Technology and Business Studies through Karabar DE and then I do an extra unit of Studies of Religion (the SOR II half) by myself (minus the assessments which are set). I kind of find that having a weekly phone call helps for IPT to discuss the work as i'm more motivated to get it done, and making a reasonable schedule for sor II where i have little work to do every week makes me want to just get it over and done with each week and i just need to do business and i get it done.

Good Luck with getting caught up, just remember you're not the only de student that feels like that and definitely not the only student who is 1-2 weeks behind atm :)

but seriously, i dont know for your subjects but for geography, the majority of questions presented to me are pretty irrelevant because they dont even turn up in the HSC exam... thats the thing that irritates me the most. Also, i have an upcoming geo exam next week and i havent even started preparing for it as i've being completing other work and plus further geo booklets... cant they give us a break? this exam is worth 22% of the HSC and it freaks me out as i have to study 8 fat geo booklets from scratch and that includes memorising an essay which is about 4-5- pgs long...! i find it ridiculous... work is due every week... we dont have a life!

okay, something that really puts me to thinking is why do we even have a thing called distance ed? u know, if a particular school course that we want to do but cant do from school cause timings with our other subject is clashing (which is actually the case for me) can't we just get the textbook and relevant info straight from the school teacher throughout the year and attempt the HSC? isnt that the main point??? we could just take help from our normal school teacher assigned for that area and get over easily with the assessments and the exam... i dont know what to say... i have a lot of questions in mind that i think will remain unanswered so i think, its better not to waste time..

Brontecat

HSC
actually what you suggested is exactly what i do for SOR II. For SOR I i go to a regular class and for the extra unit i do it in my own time and the teacher gives my assessments. I have the same frustration though with IPT it's just so demanding and just textbook and answers which bores me so much, cause you don''t even give your own ideas its just that line in the textbook rewritten to answer the question, it's even worse when i know that me and only one other student (out of 8) are doing any of the work, its so unmotivating.

Hope you go well in the exam, you're aim is high so i'm sure you'll be able to cram like never before and ace it :)

maybe you could go and talk to the geo teacher and see how they feel about giving you extra assistance or something like that and then put a proposal to the principal about what you want and why you want it (lol this is what we have to do if we want a senior microwave :)), you never know if you're convincing enough and as dedicated as you sound i'm sure it'll be ok.

muzikk93

HSC
actually what you suggested is exactly what i do for SOR II. For SOR I i go to a regular class and for the extra unit i do it in my own time and the teacher gives my assessments. I have the same frustration though with IPT it's just so demanding and just textbook and answers which bores me so much, cause you don''t even give your own ideas its just that line in the textbook rewritten to answer the question, it's even worse when i know that me and only one other student (out of 8) are doing any of the work, its so unmotivating.

Hope you go well in the exam, you're aim is high so i'm sure you'll be able to cram like never before and ace it :)

maybe you could go and talk to the geo teacher and see how they feel about giving you extra assistance or something like that and then put a proposal to the principal about what you want and why you want it (lol this is what we have to do if we want a senior microwave :)), you never know if you're convincing enough and as dedicated as you sound i'm sure it'll be ok.

haahha agreed with you friend, but the biggest problem is that my supervisor has got issues no offence... he's very unpredictable... this day i went to him for help with a question and biggg lols! he told me offf. he said, " i cant just help u with everything cause i dont even know what your content is! i'm just your supervisor and my job is to hand u your booklets for and course and take them back from you after a week's time for marking by the DE school! ask for help from your main DE teacher." from that day onwards i dint look forward for any further queries:haha:

so the point is, what i think is asking for help on the phone is not a help.. because u actually have to explain what topic., what page no, which question! and all the DE teacher does is give u a reference to the theory page in the book or an internet site. :p

but i guess i'm pretty much stable with the work atm... atleast i'm surviving it out! lol wish u all the best with yours :)

thanks for ur wishes btw :)

feralfunhouse

HSC
but seriously, i dont know for your subjects but for geography, the majority of questions presented to me are pretty irrelevant because they dont even turn up in the HSC exam... thats the thing that irritates me the most. Also, i have an upcoming geo exam next week and i havent even started preparing for it as i've being completing other work and plus further geo booklets... cant they give us a break? this exam is worth 22% of the HSC and it freaks me out as i have to study 8 fat geo booklets from scratch and that includes memorising an essay which is about 4-5- pgs long...! i find it ridiculous... work is due every week... we dont have a life!

okay, something that really puts me to thinking is why do we even have a thing called distance ed? u know, if a particular school course that we want to do but cant do from school cause timings with our other subject is clashing (which is actually the case for me) can't we just get the textbook and relevant info straight from the school teacher throughout the year and attempt the HSC? isnt that the main point??? we could just take help from our normal school teacher assigned for that area and get over easily with the assessments and the exam... i dont know what to say... i have a lot of questions in mind that i think will remain unanswered so i think, its better not to waste time..

Hey =]

I do Geo through Sydney Distance Ed as well, and I know exactly what you're going through! Especially about the work we do being totally irrelevant question-wise! THe work we do seems to be a bit outdated, they haven't updated it since like the mid 90s by the look of it.
Anyways, make sure you stay on top of it, unlike me. Last term of last year I totally gave up about 4 weeks into it and was ready to drop it, however turns out I couldn't, and so now I'm like 6 weeks behind at the moment, I'm not really bothered though 'cause even though it takes ages to do each booklet, they're not that hard and I can sometimes knock over one in about 4 hours if I focus hard enough, so I should be caught up again in no time.
You ready for Ecosystems at Risk test next week? lol good luck!!

btw, who's your teacher? I, for some unknown reason have a different teacher this year lol. His name's Mr. Grime i think...

muzikk93

HSC
Hey =]

I do Geo through Sydney Distance Ed as well, and I know exactly what you're going through! Especially about the work we do being totally irrelevant question-wise! THe work we do seems to be a bit outdated, they haven't updated it since like the mid 90s by the look of it.
Anyways, make sure you stay on top of it, unlike me. Last term of last year I totally gave up about 4 weeks into it and was ready to drop it, however turns out I couldn't, and so now I'm like 6 weeks behind at the moment, I'm not really bothered though 'cause even though it takes ages to do each booklet, they're not that hard and I can sometimes knock over one in about 4 hours if I focus hard enough, so I should be caught up again in no time.
You ready for Ecosystems at Risk test next week? lol good luck!!

btw, who's your teacher? I, for some unknown reason have a different teacher this year lol. His name's Mr. Grime i think...

heyy there :)

yeah geo sucks. My teacher is Mr. Wayne Youngman. the only thing that hits me hard is why do we do geo or any other subject through distance ed.. ??

anyway, thanks for the wishes, I need it badly! and good luck to you too!!

btw, just to give u a suggestion that whenevr ur given a new booklet each week, do the exercises first (whenever ur doing exercises, for whatever question, skim read through that particular chapter) and then hand them in for marking. that way you will save time and not create a bad impression on your teachers cause u have other subjects to concentrate on as well. and i can understand how geo can become sooo bloody hecktik. so its best to finish off the exercises first, quickly give them in for marking and when they come back read through the theory then. cause looking at the assessmnts, its not too hard to catch up with the theory work. for me, i dont even carefully read through the whole theory to answer questions on the yellow pages. trust me it will help you a lot.

L

LiveLaughLove

I can not stand doing Geography via distance-ed. I LOVE GEOGRAPHY in Year 10 and I still do but the pressures, way too much doing it via distance education. We had the best teacher for Geography and the work was way more relevant. Anyways I'm planning to drop the subject.

L

LiveLaughLove

Distance education for your HSC = nono . Well just for me , I'm struggling.

i love to act

HSC
Wow, I do all my subjects through distance ed.
Seriously, I wouldn't be complaining if I were you ...

muzikk93

HSC
Wow, I do all my subjects through distance ed.
Seriously, I wouldn't be complaining if I were you ...
wow howcome??... u must be a studious person i suppose.. if i were in ur situation i would have dropped the idea of completing HSC lllooll but thats just me..

muzikk93

HSC
I can not stand doing Geography via distance-ed. I LOVE GEOGRAPHY in Year 10 and I still do but the pressures, way too much doing it via distance education. We had the best teacher for Geography and the work was way more relevant. Anyways I'm planning to drop the subject.

agreed.

lucy-in-the-sky

HSC
I do geography through distance ed too
its the only subject I do through distance ed and I have a friend at school who does it too so wed help each other heaps.
I don't think I would be able to do it on my own...way too much pressure
plus I have a teacher at school who helps us with the class work and she is awesome.
absolutly no way I would be able to do this course without either of them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)