distance from university.. (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
for those of you who are going to unsw,

anyone else having transport woes?

is the timetables for say engineering, really demanding? will 1.5-2 hours transportation time X 2 = 3-4 hours/day burn me out..
need to weigh up the timetable and mode of transportation..

any suggestions? (i need to get a car :p)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It takes me about 3 hours travelling each day, 3-5 days a week depending my timetable. I choose not to drive to uni because a) using public transport saves me a lot of money and b) the parking at UNSW is atrocious and I just can't be bothered looking around for a spot each day when I can just hop straight off the bus.

It's not that bad. I often use the travel time constructively by doing my readings and catching up on last minute study.

Abtari

HSC
Lundy said:
It takes me about 3 hours travelling each day, 3-5 days a week depending my timetable. I choose not to drive to uni because a) using public transport saves me a lot of money and b) the parking at UNSW is atrocious and I just can't be bothered looking around for a spot each day when I can just hop straight off the bus.

It's not that bad. I often use the travel time constructively by doing my readings and catching up on last minute study.
lundy, whereabouts do you live? 3 hours a day is a lot of time, but as you say, its not necc 3 hours wasted..

its just that public transport is unreliable at times (understatement)..and the different modes of transportation, e.g. bus, train, bus don't always align that well, so if you are late then u are delayed a lot because you just missed out on the next mode of transport.. *sigh*..

should i get a car? is the independence worth the cost? oh, and traffic jams? anyone shed any light on this please?

thanks

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I live on the lower north shore. I don't live near a train line so I have to catch two buses instead (or the ferry, if I feel like a change in scenery, lol).

I have driven to uni a few times. If you have a morning class, you have to face the peak hour traffic. Ditto for the return journey in the afternoon. And unless you have a very early class, you'll have to be prepared for a bit of a walk once you've found a park.

I guess overall it's more convenient to drive. A car is a pretty significant investment, though, so I'd weigh up the pros and cons first.

HSC
oh i'm in the same fucking boat, but i still wouldn't drive to uni because of traffic/parking etc (even if i had a car). but B Enginnering degrees ARE demanding, well, at least mine is. my timetable has me at UNSW monday to friday, 9am to 4pm. i catch a train and then a bus to the campus, and back again. hell, the travel times are going to be worse than what i had in HS, which was pretty bad.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
If you're at uni from 9-4 everyday, the travel won't seem as bad. I remember having to come all the way to uni just for a single tutorial. It's a waste of time.

Abtari

HSC
well, yes, a car is a significant investment. if you buy a cheap one, you'll end up forking out lots of dough for maintenance, smash repairs, rego, fuel and such..

if you buy a more decent one, itll end up costing more..

and either way, there are the parking fees..

so money wise, public transport is better..

but time wise, i think they are similar (in peak traffic, would a bus+train = car?)

but independence/reliability/comfort wise, car obviously..

thats my pros-cons analysis... any additions?

oh, and um, with a B Engineering degree, are u srsly stuck at university from 9-4 5 days a week? noooooo...can't u manage ur timetable so that u have like a 4 day university week??

SweetSeasons

HSC
I'll be spending about 3 hours a day getting to and from uni, plus th etime spent waiting for the train home in the arvo.. so about 3 and half hours a day... 5 days a week... It does suck but I can't afford to move out of home and yeah.. o wello

Abtari

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
I'll be spending about 3 hours a day getting to and from uni, plus th etime spent waiting for the train home in the arvo.. so about 3 and half hours a day... 5 days a week... It does suck but I can't afford to move out of home and yeah.. o wello
wot course n wot uni?.. sounds vaguely familiar to the hole im in currently..

Pierotte

HSC
Yeah well im gonna have a 2.5 hour trip EACH WAY just for a little while.

I havnt started getting ready to move yet, but for about a month im gonna be rather fucked to say the least

I mean i have a unit up there, but i cant seem to get my act together....

maybe i should

Im having a week of work not next week but the week after.. maybe i should put it to good use.

Anyway WHAT you people have your timetables allready!!?? HOW where!?!!?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
As Lundy said, i don't think travellign time is a waste of time at all. I reckon it's an excellent time to study and read up. I bludge, sleep or/and procrastinate most of the time when i'm at home anyway so having to get up earlier for around a 40 minute trip to uni during which my boredom will force me to study doesn't seem that bad.

Abtari

HSC
Pierotte said:
Anyway WHAT you people have your timetables allready!!?? HOW where!?!!?
hang on a minute.. don't you get ur timetables etc after u enrol and stuff? well, at unsw anyway

..which reminds me, for unsw, don't u get all those timetables, structure of degree, wot units ur gonna do, etc from website of unsw or my unsw or wtever it is..?

Last edited:
HSC
our timetables are fully customisable...arent they? to a degree. see im taking on all 24UoC per semester, so i'm on campus 24+ hrs per week, which i thought was a bit much? even for full time?

ive got maths (lecture, 2x tutorials), chem (lab, tutorial, lect), phys (lab, tutorial, chem), comp (lect, lab) and draw + modelling (lect, tutorial).

you think thats bad, in semester 2 ive got monday and tuesday running 9am-5pm for me. plus transport, those are gonna be longgggggggg days.

Abtari

HSC
king_of_boredom said:
our timetables are fully customisable...arent they? to a degree. see im taking on all 24UoC per semester, so i'm on campus 24+ hrs per week, which i thought was a bit much? even for full time?

ive got maths (lecture, 2x tutorials), chem (lab, tutorial, lect), phys (lab, tutorial, chem), comp (lect, lab) and draw + modelling (lect, tutorial).

you think thats bad, in semester 2 ive got monday and tuesday running 9am-5pm for me. plus transport, those are gonna be longgggggggg days.
gees.. wot course u doing?

HSC
well......lets just keep it as B Engineering for now. the schedule seems much, but hopefully somewhere along the way i'll be able to change the timetable.

HSC
It will take me 40 minutes to get to uni.. which isn't that bad. BUT, there will be over 10 bucks in tolls each day. That's the lame bit.

I'm hoping to find a long way around.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Yes! transport time can really mess you up especially for morning lectures (that starts at 8am). I had to travel for 1.5 hours each way for high school, it may not seem much difference to others but will definitely put you at a slight disadvantage everyday.

Luckily tho, now i only need to walk 10-15 minutes to usyd :D

volition

arr.
HSC
It would take me about 20-25 minutes to walk to the bus stop, then another 10 or 15 mins by bus and I'm there :)

richz

prolly take me 45 mins by public transport, 10 min walk to station, 25 min train and a 10 min walk to usyd. Which would cost me around 4 bux a day. on the otherhand if i drove it wud take me 20 mins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)