• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Distinction Average (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, I guess you're not the situation where you know you're going to get owned by heaps and heaps of people before you even start, no matter how much you try. (Although I must admit, a lot less competition is great after having to compete with psychos for a whole year! Too bad it's only in one subject.)

PC: 7001 :D

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well at a uni where there is no scaling of marks then competition doesn't matter. I mean is everyone can get a HD then why bother competing. Of course there are some unis which restrict how many people get a certain grade, but at least UTS doesn't do that.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Distinction average isn't that hard...

cause many courses have an amount of 'free' marks, like tutes and assignements.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by neo_o
Everyone who ive talked to seems to think SYD is the go...

what's better about NSW?
are they high school students who base that judgement on the fact it has the highest uai?

honestly, most people you speak to who are involved with larger firms or have experience in the field of law will tell you that UNSW now has the better law faculty and is producing better graduates. a lot of people believe usyd is essentially riding on 'old name' glory, and that unsw is actually currently the better law school. up to you to decide of course but a few really well-respected lawyers have said precisely this to me!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
why are the marks so low for something so highly regarded (D av)... are the tests in uni designed to be barely survivable?
Why do you think? Obviously university study isn't meant to be a walk-over.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
lol, well in subject say like latin or biology where your either right on wrong D ave im told isnt hard

but when u get into the more ambigious stuff like ancient history, english, philosophy, its ahrder

and btw its not the first 25% who get Ds lol, its techncally possible for teh entire course to be given a HD, its a case of how well u meet the critera, not how well the rest did, so its also possible for non one to get a d in a course! (and i know this due to a nice ancient history lecturere who made thsi very clear to all us lowly first yrs)

cayte

It actually depends on the department. Every school has a different marking criteria and many have stipulations as to how many students can receive a certain grade. Which is why it's so difficult to gauge how you're performing at uni.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by cayte
It actually depends on the department. Every school has a different marking criteria and many have stipulations as to how many students can receive a certain grade. Which is why it's so difficult to gauge how you're performing at uni.
In some faculties/subjects, you may like to ask the teacher/lecturer/tutor about the average, highest mark, SD etc to come to a close conclusion on how well you are doing. Better still, some computer subjects automatically post your mark and the grade statistics up on Blackboard or WebCT! :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by shelley
and btw its not the first 25% who get Ds lol, its techncally possible for teh entire course to be given a HD, its a case of how well u meet the critera, not how well the rest did, so its also possible for non one to get a d in a course! (and i know this due to a nice ancient history lecturere who made thsi very clear to all us lowly first yrs)
that depends on whether or not your uni/faculty bell curves the marks.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by redslert
not really!
depend on what subjects you do
Originally posted by flyin'
In total agreement. (And doing subjects where the bulk of the candidature has a UAI of about 98+ doesn't help one's cause.)

The UAI means next to nothing once you hit university (as you should know by now), and it is more the person rather than the subject that determines how difficult the coursework truly is.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
getting 96+ uai was seriously so so so much easier than distinctions at uni

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
Yes, oh god yes. The only D I've gotten so far was a total fluke as I stuck together random notes and threw an intro and conclusion onto it the night before it was due.

cayte

I think perhaps it was psychologically easier to do well in the hsc than at uni because in high school you have some sort of tangible goal and you're focused and you sort of expect to have to maintain a constant effort. At uni you don't want to do that any more, all you wanna do is get pissed with your friends, so you tend not to maintain a constant pattern of study. I can't say I ever really left an assessment to the very last minute in high school. At uni though I've started assignments, big assignments, the night before they're due. Less motivation = lower marks = greater perceived difficulty.

flowin'

Originally posted by Generator
The UAI means next to nothing once you hit university (as you should know by now), and it is more the person rather than the subject that determines how difficult the coursework truly is.
UAI means nothing at uni. However, flyin' used the UAI to indicate that if you are competing against a capable group of individuals, it doesn't help your cause in getting high grades. (For example, if you achieved a UAI of 90, and did a course where the bulk of the candidature achieved 99, your odds of achieving a HD aren't good.

Originally posted by Asquithian
really it depends on how well u compare to the people in ur course...remember uni is the good old bell curve...and plus everyone kinda knows that uni markers really determine ur final mark by using a dart board in the staff room...
Half-true! But because the CLT (Central Limit Theorem) holds for large numbers, this is true for most cases where there is a large number of candidates.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Toodulu
I tend to disagree with that

I got 3 High Distinctions out of my 4 subjects last year, first semester, and in one major assessment in one subject, I topped the equal topped the course...and I didnt do nearly as much work/study than year 12
Perhaps I liked the work better, perhaps it was easy, perhaps the canditure was poor (unlikely, since its UNSW commerce students)

It's totally up to the person I guess

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I tend to disagree with that

I got 3 High Distinctions out of my 4 subjects last year, first semester, and in one major assessment in one subject, I topped the equal topped the course...and I didnt do nearly as much work/study than year 12
Perhaps I liked the work better, perhaps it was easy, perhaps the canditure was poor (unlikely, since its UNSW commerce students)

It's totally up to the person I guess
Never knew you were a brain too Minai.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
minai, yeh the junior compulsory units for commerce are easy to get marks for. i do minimal work and pass comfortably. the essay subjects are a pain in the arse but
the whole uni marking system is pretty screwed up, i'm just going to end up picking units i know are shit boring but can get marks for knowing basic algebra or god forbid, construct a sentence. like it's just encouraging non-critical thinking...ness. and accountants.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I got 3 High Distinctions out of my 4 subjects last year, first semester, and in one major assessment in one subject, I topped the equal topped the course...
3 out of 4 possible HDs and you still didn't make the NRSL cutoff for law?? :confused:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
plus everyone kinda knows that uni markers really determine ur final mark by using a dart board in the staff room...
LoLz :D

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by neo_o
I had my sights set on Sydney Law for a while now, but ive been doing pretty horrendously this year, so I'll probably be looking at UTS law or something of the kind.....

But ill still be looking at transferring to Sydney after my first year at UTS...

My, my...what an ego some people have.

I hope you don't get into law at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)