Distinction Course - Comparative Literature (1 Viewer)

yuriblossom

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I'm an accelerated student in yr11 and I'm thinking of doing a distinction course. It seems like Philosophy and Cosmology are quite popular but not many people choose to do Comparative Literature. So has anyone here done it? Can you plz provide some info (apart from what has been outlined in Distinction Booklet 2003)?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
It's something like 8 people do CL in the state I think? So it's gotta be hard. I'm trying out for Philosophy though. There's one (maybe two) boys in our year who's trying out for CL though.

yuriblossom

HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
It's something like 8 people do CL in the state I think? So it's gotta be hard. I'm trying out for Philosophy though. There's one (maybe two) boys in our year who's trying out for CL though.
Thanks. Yeah I heard that as well. But is it that they only accept 8 students or ppl just don't want to take the course? I also heard that you can usually get in if you get 90+ for your accelerated subject. Is it true?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
yuriblossom said:
Thanks. Yeah I heard that as well. But is it that they only accept 8 students or ppl just don't want to take the course? I also heard that you can usually get in if you get 90+ for your accelerated subject. Is it true?
Hmm, I would lean towards the latter reason, that there aren't too many applicants for Comparative Literature. Although it could just as well be the first one, but I'm not too sure that would be the major reason as to why there aren't that many people doing Comparative Literature.

That would be the standard which you would be aiming for, a band 6 result in your accelerated subject. There are instances that I know of where a high band 5 result has gotten the person into the distinction course, but usually, if you come with a band 6 result, as well as some general extracurricular activites, then you should be alright to get into the course. But then, it really does depend on the quality of the candidature that apply for the course, so definitely go for a good band 6 result in your subject.

yuriblossom

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
Hmm, I would lean towards the latter reason, that there aren't too many applicants for Comparative Literature. Although it could just as well be the first one, but I'm not too sure that would be the major reason as to why there aren't that many people doing Comparative Literature.

That would be the standard which you would be aiming for, a band 6 result in your accelerated subject. There are instances that I know of where a high band 5 result has gotten the person into the distinction course, but usually, if you come with a band 6 result, as well as some general extracurricular activites, then you should be alright to get into the course. But then, it really does depend on the quality of the candidature that apply for the course, so definitely go for a good band 6 result in your subject.
Thanks, SoulSearcher! Hmm...what do you mean by "extracurricular activites"? Do you have to be a school prefect or something?

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
it's like english isn't literature enough as it is, and then you throw in comparative literature, it's insane! i say do philosophy, it is very interesting. my friend did it at ruse (you go to ruse?) and she loved it, went to a few camps as well.

yuriblossom

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
it's like english isn't literature enough as it is, and then you throw in comparative literature, it's insane! i say do philosophy, it is very interesting. my friend did it at ruse (you go to ruse?) and she loved it, went to a few camps as well.
Well I wanted to do philosophy as well but I want to be a translator in the future. It's kind of related to comparative literature you know... Nah, I go to NSG.

tillytilly

HSC
I'm doing Comparative Literature this year - there are 12 people in it. It's not that less people are accepted into Comp Lit, there are 100 accepted into the Distinction Courses and then however many people want to do each respective one do. More people who get in choose to do Philosophy and Cosmo, that's why Comp Lit is so small. I got an 88 in Advanced Eng and a 44 in Ext 1 last year so it's not true that you need a Band 6. You study Nineteenth-Century European Novel, Poetry and Religious Experience, Satiric Voices and Post-Colonial Experience. I'd recommend it, it is a lot of work but most of it is interesting enough to compensate. And if you do well, the scaling is aaawesome.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Is anyone here going to the Information Day? Is it school uniform?

VampireGirl

HSC
tillytilly, first in nsw for comparative literature?! Woah!!

Glad to know someone is doing it rather than philosphy and cosmology.
I'm currently in year 11 and thinking of doing comparative literature, although i reallyhaven't heard much about it other than what's on the website. Seems like everyone chooses cosmo and philosphy!

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
simonloo said:
lol thats a guaranteed state ranking with 8 people.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
lol thats a guaranteed state ranking with 8 people.
With 8 people, only people who get their ranks on the Board of Studies is only the top person. Less people you got in the course, less state ranks people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)