• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Distinction Course Discussion (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hmm I guess I'm the first one to admit I didn't get in.

Had a really werid relationship with BOS though. 1st day - got an accidental call - then got told they hadn't actually finished considering my application yet. 2nd day - all the other applicants from my school got their outcomes back so I called them to ask - and they said I wasn't on the 'mainstream' successful applicant list and they had to confirm with the other applicants before they could finalise whether offering me a position or not. Then on the 3rd day - got confirmed I didn't make it.

But yeah, I'm not dissappointed - I'm actually looking forward to working harder in all my subjects. However it is a bit dissappointing to know that nobody from my school got in. Bad year for my school - first dropping from the top 200, now this.

Oh yeah to end on a positive note - congrats to the guys who did make it to Philosophy and Cosmology!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations to everyone who got in. When do you have classes? During school time or like on Saturdays.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Congratulations to everyone who got in. When do you have classes? During school time or like on Saturdays.
There are no classes. It's purely independent study really except the residential houses where you go off to some places to learn some stuff. It happens twice for Cosmology and for three times for Philosophy.

VampireGirl

HSC
the-derivative said:

Had a really werid relationship with BOS though. 1st day - got an accidental call - then got told they hadn't actually finished considering my application yet. 2nd day - all the other applicants from my school got their outcomes back so I called them to ask - and they said I wasn't on the 'mainstream' successful applicant list and they had to confirm with the other applicants before they could finalise whether offering me a position or not. Then on the 3rd day - got confirmed I didn't make it.

But yeah, I'm not dissappointed - I'm actually looking forward to working harder in all my subjects. However it is a bit dissappointing to know that nobody from my school got in. Bad year for my school - first dropping from the top 200, now this.

Oh yeah to end on a positive note - congrats to the guys who did make it to Philosophy and Cosmology!
Sorry to hear that. I like your optimism though, at least you can focus on your current subjects.
Two of my close friends also didn't get into Philosophy and Cosmology.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
VampireGirl said:
Sorry to hear that. I like your optimism though, at least you can focus on your current subjects.
He must have been very close though considering that he actually got Band 6 in his accelerated course.

Do you reckon getting into courses like Cosmology would have been harder or easier?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, one person in my school got 90 for modern and got into phil, and i think another person got 89 for modern and didn't get in, so it seems really close

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
VampireGirl said:
Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah - I think my HSC mark was my main factor - because I only JUST scraped in a Band 6. Also my school did not perform well this year - so I think that's another factor. But yeah - I'm looking forward and I actually feel motivated to work harder in all my subjects. After the past few days - I actually feel like studying.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ahh man, bad luck derivative.. You deserve to get into it ><
Oh well, it's not that bad I suppose

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Exactly :p I don't do any distinction courses, or even accelerated. You guys are fortunate enough to have a school that offers such courses and you have the choice to either do it or not. With my school they completely blocked out this 'accelerated' thing from us. I didn't even hear about it until this year :uhoh:
Yeah same here, not that I would've accelerated anyway..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
youngminii said:
Yeah same here, not that I would've accelerated anyway..
I am pretty sure you would have. There are so many advantages that come with it if you are really commited.

Think about getting taught in a better, more academic and selective environment. Yeah, that's quite nice, haha

Mithead

HSC
Hey, I got into Philosophy, which Im thankful for. Another guy in my school also got in. I cant wait for my package of stuff!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am pretty sure you would have. There are so many advantages that come with it if you are really commited.

Think about getting taught in a better, more academic and selective environment. Yeah, that's quite nice, haha
Yeah but you see, up until mid year 11, I wasn't commited or anything.. Like, I was literally failing everything coming in the bottom 10ish etc. So there's no way I would've considered accelerating :lol:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mithead said:
Hey, I got into Philosophy, which Im thankful for. Another guy in my school also got in. I cant wait for my package of stuff!
Yeah, I am waiting everyday for my Cosmo stuff to arrive. I will be the first one to rip that package (not the books hopefully) and stack them nicely in my room, hahaha

Btw, congrats on getting in. What did you get in your accelerated course btw? (and your friend?)

Mithead

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, I am waiting everyday for my Cosmo stuff to arrive. I will be the first one to rip that package (not the books hopefully) and stack them nicely in my room, hahaha

Btw, congrats on getting in. What did you get in your accelerated course btw? (and your friend?)
Both did drama, I got 98 and he got 96

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah same here, i think i'd be really interested for 1 hour then nothing
more like 3 minutes of joy (time taking to open the package) and then continous influx of :mad: :burn: :rudolf: :eek: :idea: :confused: :read:

wendybird

HSC
the-derivative said:

that's a shame, commiserations :(

but your positive attitude is wonderful to see, and in all likelihood with your motivation and work ethic, i've no doubt you'll do just as well with your subjects in 2009! :)

I imagine that things were very tight this year...i had been told that in previous years a high band 5 or band 6 would pretty much guarantee acceptance. Perhaps they're really trying to get numbers down? (so as not to impose on UNE)

best of luck with your studies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)