Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

M

midnightpen

Re: Distinction Courses For Next Year

Yeah our teacher told us there are no distinction courses next year. comparative literature got cut already this year, leaving only philosophy or cosmology for this year's students and its a different university doing it this year too =/ badluck

Bacchus

HSC

Sorry guys/girls. There is an extremely high chance that there will be no Distinction Course next year. BOS is still "pending" in regards to the decision... however, given the current financial situation, I doubt that they will still continue with Distinction Course as the keeping the course is not considered a financially viable option.

Why? Because Distinction Course operates as a "free course" for students who undertake this course. It costs approximately 2000 dollars for each student.

So we (current students of Cosmology and Philosophy) are to be the last graduates of the course. In my point of view, Distinction Course MUST continue. It is very very important that BOS tries in its every way to promote special learning for Gifted and Talented Students and from what I am seeing, Distinction Course offers exactly that.

However, don't worry too much guys. BOS has strongly suggested the possibility of another special courses to come if the Distinction Courses ARE TO BE ABOLISHED. I really hope that they make some alterations to the current course so that it is easily accessible to Gifted and Talented students while being financially viable to both parties.

Personally, I am going to write a letter to BOS regarding the Distinction Course and its planned abolition. Some amendments to the Distinction Course can really help the course continue...for example:
  1. Make the students pay for part of it (or all of it)
  2. Make the course more well-known and accredited by other universities for credit points and etc.
  3. Give more learning support for students so that they don't actually end up dropping! - THIS is a big issue. Since it is free (now), people just drop it if they find it difficult. I personally think that's quite selfish and just...wrong. I mean, by getting into the course, you got this precious opportunity off other applicant...and also you are costing like 2K...
  4. Other benefits to promote the course in general

omniscience

HSC
N/A

Sorry guys/girls. There is an extremely high chance that there will be no Distinction Course next year. BOS is still "pending" in regards to the decision... however, given the current financial situation, I doubt that they will still continue with Distinction Course as the keeping the course is not considered a financially viable option.

Why? Because Distinction Course operates as a "free course" for students who undertake this course. It costs approximately 2000 dollars for each student.

So we (current students of Cosmology and Philosophy) are to be the last graduates of the course. In my point of view, Distinction Course MUST continue. It is very very important that BOS tries in its every way to promote special learning for Gifted and Talented Students and from what I am seeing, Distinction Course offers exactly that.

However, don't worry too much guys. BOS has strongly suggested the possibility of another special courses to come if the Distinction Courses ARE TO BE ABOLISHED. I really hope that they make some alterations to the current course so that it is easily accessible to Gifted and Talented students while being financially viable to both parties.

Personally, I am going to write a letter to BOS regarding the Distinction Course and its planned abolition. Some amendments to the Distinction Course can really help the course continue...for example:
  1. Make the students pay for part of it (or all of it)
  2. Make the course more well-known and accredited by other universities for credit points and etc.
  3. Give more learning support for students so that they don't actually end up dropping! - THIS is a big issue. Since it is free (now), people just drop it if they find it difficult. I personally think that's quite selfish and just...wrong. I mean, by getting into the course, you got this precious opportunity off other applicant...and also you are costing like 2K...
  4. Other benefits to promote the course in general
no

kapi fluke

HSC

i am a student who wishes to do a distinction course in 2011, thus I was worried when a teacher said, that distinction courses will be discontinued:eek:...... will there be another similar program to take it's place. Also if the financial situation does get better, will they consider to bring back the courses in 2011.

Thanks

RuffWoof

HSC
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

calm down, distinction courses are only worth doing if your in yr 11

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

Dude, what do you know?

And what do you mean by "worth doing"?

Are you suggesting that it is difficult for Year 12 to do well? If that's the case, that's totally wrong as top-in-the-state for distinction courses have been mostly year 12s (like more than 95% of the top-in-the-state have been year 12s)

RuffWoof

HSC

Dude, what do you know?

And what do you mean by "worth doing"?

Are you suggesting that it is difficult for Year 12 to do well? If that's the case, that's totally wrong as top-in-the-state for distinction courses have been mostly year 12s (like more than 95% of the top-in-the-state have been year 12s)
Only a small percentage of people get good marks for distinction course (i.e 90+). I was fortunate enough that last year it scaled particuarly well compared to other years. Any other year I would have no chance cracking 90.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Only a small percentage of people get good marks for distinction course (i.e 90+). I was fortunate enough that last year it scaled particuarly well compared to other years. Any other year I would have no chance cracking 90.
lol what?

You mean scaled 90+?

And yeah, you are right. Last year's scaling for Distinction Course was particularly good.

But that doesn't mean that its scaling is not still quite awesome.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

lol maybe for UAI but what if u actually were interested (not that i am)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lol maybe for UAI but what if u actually were interested (not that i am)
LOL, you can say that again. :p

kapi fluke

HSC

<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>
i am well ware of that.... however as we have to choose syubject in approx. 3 weeks.... if distinction course are not allowed then i would have a different subject selection configuration

jycy

HSC

Well I sent an e-mail to the guy and he wrote,
"We won't get official confirmation until the budget is confirmed in July, but at this stage it is very likely they will run. Expressions of interest will go out to schools around September so keep an eye out - you can also contact me again as we approach October if you don't hear from anyone else and I can provide you with more details and let you know where to get an application form from."

I hope they don't cancel it. I really want to do the Philosophy course.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

I hope they don't cancel it. I really want to do the Philosophy course.
I know! I really really want to do Cosmology!

PwnerKebab

HSC

i think i'll drop english for cosmology

jet

Banned
HSC

Well, 5 people have dropped already, though the course coordinator said that BOS like to see the numbers at the end of the course, so hope that no one else drops!

Otherwise, find as many people as possible and help us petition BOS. That's really the only thing we can do.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Well, 5 people have dropped already, though the course coordinator said that BOS like to see the numbers at the end of the course, so hope that no one else drops!

Otherwise, find as many people as possible and help us petition BOS. That's really the only thing we can do.
lol really?
do u keep in touch with everyone else. i guess it would've been those guys that didn't hand in the 3rd assignment...man i better start the 4th one soon..

xMaFF

HSC

Yay, I found the thread.
I guess I can ask here.

It's too bad hearing that the Distinction Courses could be abolished altogether.
That would be very unfortunate for future talented students wishing to undertake these classes.

I agree with previous posts suggesting that Distinction Courses stay, despite the "current financial situation," as mentioned by Bacchus.

Anyways, I would just like to ask (if not already outlined) how to apply for a Distinction Course?
I have just finished Yr. 10. I may already be too late, but I think I'm just curious...

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks in advance =]

kbsb

HSC

Yay, I found the thread.
I guess I can ask here.

It's too bad hearing that the Distinction Courses could be abolished altogether.
That would be very unfortunate for future talented students wishing to undertake these classes.

I agree with previous posts suggesting that Distinction Courses stay, despite the "current financial situation," as mentioned by Bacchus.

Anyways, I would just like to ask (if not already outlined) how to apply for a Distinction Course?
I have just finished Yr. 10. I may already be too late, but I think I'm just curious...

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks in advance =]
You can only do distinction courses if u are accelerating a subject a year or more ahead of your cohort. To get in u generally need a band 6 in watever subject u are accelerating (although i think u can sometimes get in with a bit less)

About october this yr the applications came out for the 2010 HSC cohort, but since your doing ur HSC in 2011, just check same time next yr..(btw if u accelerated this yr..than YES..it is too late)

The applications are generally available on www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au or the distinction course website...Also this yr only philosophy was offered (not cosmology or compartive literature) ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)