Distractions, not working hard, laziness. (1 Viewer)

StaceyK293920

HSC
Well those factors mentioned all basically describe me. I can get easily distracted at times, I don't work hard and I sometimes tend to procrastinate. I can get homework and assignment tasks done quite easily, but when it comes to preparing for an exam or assessment task, I find it pointless and end up cramming in the end. How do I overcome this? Do you believe a study timetable would probably be the best idea, by sticking to a routine and making it a habit? I also rarely revise and end up reaching total perfection for my homework and assignments, in which time continues to run out, day by day.

I've lost it. I've got assessment tasks coming up and I'm confused. This report, I've gained quite a lot of A's, a few B's and C's all over the place, and those B's and C's are due to the early half yearly exams (lack of revision and study, day-dreaming). How can I overcome this? I'm always keen and thinking about studying hard and working hard when I'm about to arrive home, thinking about which subject to start on, but in the end, I don't. In the library though, I can achieve this easily. So should I change my study environment? I've got a study table and a computer right next to it, and I tend to go on BOS straight away to procrastinate (like now) and play step mania lol. I'm thinking about putting a study table right in my room and removing the TV. This will probably work and will get me into a habit of studying and revising daily.

Sorry about all these questions in general lol. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Yeah, just take out all distractions from your study area because going to the library every day and staying there late isn't really viable. I reckon that you should just build on your study program. Don't go 'I'm going to study all day today, w00t', because that always never works. Just say 'I'll do one hour, eat something yum, then do another hour before dinner' or something like that. It's a pretty generic and overused piece of advice but it actually works.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
StaceyK293920 said:
Well those factors mentioned all basically describe me. I can get easily distracted at times, I don't work hard and I sometimes tend to procrastinate. I can get homework and assignment tasks done quite easily, but when it comes to preparing for an exam or assessment task, I find it pointless and end up cramming in the end. How do I overcome this? Do you believe a study timetable would probably be the best idea, by sticking to a routine and making it a habit? I also rarely revise and end up reaching total perfection for my homework and assignments, in which time continues to run out, day by day.

I've lost it. I've got assessment tasks coming up and I'm confused. This report, I've gained quite a lot of A's, a few B's and C's all over the place, and those B's and C's are due to the early half yearly exams (lack of revision and study, day-dreaming). How can I overcome this? I'm always keen and thinking about studying hard and working hard when I'm about to arrive home, thinking about which subject to start on, but in the end, I don't. In the library though, I can achieve this easily. So should I change my study environment? I've got a study table and a computer right next to it, and I tend to go on BOS straight away to procrastinate (like now) and play step mania lol. I'm thinking about putting a study table right in my room and removing the TV. This will probably work and will get me into a habit of studying and revising daily.

Sorry about all these questions in general lol. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks.
I think it is important to set your goal. This can motivate you throughout your Preliminary & HSC year. For example, my motivation comes from some people I know of at my school. One of them came to Australia in Year 10 with no English skill at all but he still managed to get 95 UAI. How amazing is that? I keep reading that article about him at school and this really motivates me.There are some really amazing guys at school who overcame their hardships and achieved astronomical UAIs. This makes me try harder and motivates me. Yeah, teachers are my motivations too despite the fact that some teachers go as far as making me hate a particular subject by constant pressuring. :mad1:

Anyway, try fixing your study environment as Continuum said. That seems like a good way to start. Get rid of all the disturbances and concentrate on your tasks. Think about the future that may be ahead of you if you achieve your desired UAI and also think about the consequences of NOT achieving your UAI. That might motivate you. But don't overdo it as you may be burnt out. If you really feel let down, think about the alternatives. Getting the good UAI may be the best way to start your desired career, but that is not necessarily the case.

Yeah, another advice I can give you is: be organised. According to my Study Coordinator, diary is the best organisational tool that I can have and told us to record all the necessary dates & events so that I can get track of them. I rarely do it but I know exactly when my exams are and I prepare them for them. Good luck & hope to post up more advices soon if I can think of few more. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
First thing I'd do - turn off the computer. Or at the very least, turn off MSN.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
First thing I'd do - turn off the computer. Or at the very least, turn off MSN.
What if you make your own notes from computer?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Get a laptop with no access to the internet. Then type your notes with no distractions.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aplus said:
Get a laptop with no access to the internet. Then type your notes with no distractions.
That's what I need, since all my Economics notes are typed up. It'll take far too much itme if I were to just write it... :cold:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aplus said:
Oh yeah. I do that but my dad ask I speak, is pulling out the router :mad1:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
My advice comes from some unusual circumstances.

1, I completed my HSC last year. The way i studied was to do a minimum of 4 hours each day in my room starting whenever. My room has a tv and many other distractions, my way to cope with these was to turn off all distractions such as TV and IPOD etc off at the power point (also good to reduce carbon emissions). Then i would study for 1 hour then have 10 minute break so on and so forth. I obtained good marks Eng Adv; 72, Maths General; 74, Visual Arts; 88, Hospitality; 86 and Music 1; 84. These were good. Your marks may not attribute directly to your UAI, mine ended up being 68.5 (S**THOUSE). My friend got 78.9. His highest mark was 82, (he did not study conventionally, he studied in a room full of noise eg, TV and radio) REMEMEBER THAT WE ALL STUDY DIFFERENTLY. I am not saying do not study and you'll do go. I'm saying try to work out a method of study that works for you.

STUDY WILL HELP YOU PREPARE FOR EXAMS.

2, I never got into the Uni that i wanted or any other for that instance. I have gone back to Year 11 aS for my timetable/subjects did not work out to redo Year 12. I am now used by many people in Year 12 and 11 to advise on how to study. Just remember if you don't get your UAI just remeber that dertimation will get you through life til you get where you want. LOOK AT ME I"M BACK IN YEAR 11 for the second time but i can still apply to Uni whenever which i am planning to do. Remeber there are other ways to succed in life.

Last edited:

StaceyK293920

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
BoredofStudies is pretty much a distraction for me :(
Yeah it is. I'm quite fairly organised, jotting down all my tasks and the required dates to complete it in my diary. I manage to complete it all, but when I'm finished, I feel satisfied and don't feel like revising, which makes me end up cramming before exams. This is the downside of my grades, and I'm scared that this may happen in the HSC external exams. I may as well make a timetable and stick to a habit (at least 2-4 hours a day of revision, excluding homework). I'm also getting a study table for my room in 4 weeks and I'm definitely removing the TV and this damn laptop. I'll also probably stick calendars and motivational quotes on the wall near the study table. The HSC is about to begin and I'm really nervous and tense...I don't seem to be putting any effort right now, being on MSN and randomly browsing the internet e.g. YouTube most of the time...

raym0nd

HSC
its great that you know prior to getting home what it is you plan to do, but it seems like you’re not getting punished for not following through until report time.

solution: accountability. there’s a few options. plus it worked for me..
get your parents or someone your close to you to take a greater interest in your workload/study habits - and yell at you when you slack off!!
use your dairy more effectively, instead of writing the due date of an assignment, write the assignment subject/topic on every day leading up to it and work towards finishing it well before its due. the accountability here comes from the ability to monitor how much effort you are putting in each day, and being reminded each time you look at the calendar - this works best with a wall calendar - so gogo replace that tv with poster full of squares and dates!
cramming doesnt work for youe so tis best to spend time just plain revising. plan your evening/studytime and reward yourself for sticking to it: if you haven’t already BUY A DANCE MAT for step mania, it is the best thing you can do for your fingers. you can use said dance mat as part of your accountability - get your parents to keep it in their room and if you’ve done your study have a dance

much luck,
raymond

StaceyK293920

HSC
raym0nd said:
its great that you know prior to getting home what it is you plan to do, but it seems like you’re not getting punished for not following through until report time.

solution: accountability. there’s a few options. plus it worked for me..
get your parents or someone your close to you to take a greater interest in your workload/study habits - and yell at you when you slack off!!
use your dairy more effectively, instead of writing the due date of an assignment, write the assignment subject/topic on every day leading up to it and work towards finishing it well before its due. the accountability here comes from the ability to monitor how much effort you are putting in each day, and being reminded each time you look at the calendar - this works best with a wall calendar - so gogo replace that tv with poster full of squares and dates!
cramming doesnt work for youe so tis best to spend time just plain revising. plan your evening/studytime and reward yourself for sticking to it: if you haven’t already BUY A DANCE MAT for step mania, it is the best thing you can do for your fingers. you can use said dance mat as part of your accountability - get your parents to keep it in their room and if you’ve done your study have a dance

much luck,
raymond
LOL thx Raymond and others, especially Lyounamu :). I'm pretty sure accountability will work. I've thought of it and mentioned it to both parents. But you see, both my parents work and when they arrive home, they're tired and exhausted. Especially my Dad, when he slouches in front of the TV drinking his tea, and when I try and tell him something, he goes 'mmhmmm' with his eyes controlled to the TV, having his sip lol.

Yeah, I'm definitely replacing that TV with some calendars and posters full of dates. When that study table arrives in 4 weeks, I sense a routine or a habit of not just finishing tasks whilst reaching perfection i.e. homework and assignments, BUT REVISING AND STUDYING DAILY AND CONSISTENTLY is going to work :D. I wish I had parents who would absolutely push me, like azn parents lol.

Ahahaha I loved it how u mentioned a dance mat :D. Does it work on the computer? I've never thought about buying one lol.

raym0nd

HSC
lol. well its good to hear you're atleast taking action. you can borrow azn parents, i think they prefer the term 'tutor', but its coslty, and probably not needed in your situation.

dance mats are pretty easy to build from mdf and a cheap keyboard, you can also find them on weird webstores. get your dad to build you one i say. just makes you cry a little when you switch down to 2-3 feet songs. its not all bad though, and your feet will catch up in no time.

StaceyK293920

HSC
raym0nd said:
lol. well its good to hear you're atleast taking action. you can borrow azn parents, i think they prefer the term 'tutor', but its coslty, and probably not needed in your situation.

dance mats are pretty easy to build from mdf and a cheap keyboard, you can also find them on weird webstores. get your dad to build you one i say. just makes you cry a little when you switch down to 2-3 feet songs. its not all bad though, and your feet will catch up in no time.
Lol, if there was someone who could keep track of my progress everyday, and telling me to get my lazy ass off BOS or I'll get a slap, then that'd be nice :D.

And for the mats, Ebay here I come lol.

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
raym0nd said:
Out of all respect and no racism , were do these asian parents get the money to pay for tutor , they drive a 77' corolla , look like cavemen and smell like seaweed. (No racist) Not all asians are like this but so many ive met , my school is predominently Asian.

So where do they get the money to pay for tutoring? at 30-40$ a hour at famous asian tutoring services ex Pre-Uni?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
osamaelias said:
Out of all respect and no racism , were do these asian parents get the money to pay for tutor , they drive a 77' corolla , look like cavemen and smell like seaweed. (No racist) Not all asians are like this but so many ive met , my school is predominently Asian.

So where do they get the money to pay for tutoring? at 30-40$ a hour at famous asian tutoring services ex Pre-Uni?
Education is top priority and you were being racist.:uhhuh:

raym0nd

HSC
osamaelias said:

the point i was making is that she could hire a tutor and that tutors were costly, not that Asian parents were rich, but that an Asian tutor may infact be intelligent and therefor beneficial for her. overall i dont think there was anything offensive said, if at all racist.
if my parents drove an ae86 corolla i wouldnt be complaining.

raymond :)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Education is top priority and you were being racist.:uhhuh:
Stated that wasnt meaning to be racist.

And when you say education is top priority , that is true, But life is not only education. But honestly the average Asian i meet is usually Vietnamese(And again not all). Most of the time there unhelpful, they put on a different face.

And if i offended anyone i apologize :ninja:

StaceyK293920

HSC
osamaelias said:

Firstly, mentioning that Asians look like 'cavemen' and 'smell like seaweed' was inappropriate, displaying your immaturity and disrespect towards a race. You took the whole topic out of the context, whilst being racist and stereotypical about Asians. Even if your school is predominently Asian, does it matter?

osamaelias said:
Stated that wasnt meaning to be racist.

And when you say education is top priority , that is true, But life is not only education. But honestly the average Asian i meet is usually Vietnamese(And again not all). Most of the time there unhelpful, they put on a different face.

And if i offended anyone i apologize :ninja:
Does it matter if they're Vietnamese and they're unhelpful? Since you're comments above were inappropriate, I can see why they're not helpful whilst putting on a different face. Your apology is accepted, but next time, think about what you're about to publish on the forum that is deemed unsuitable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)