Distractions, not working hard, laziness. (1 Viewer)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
StaceyK293920 said:
Your apology is accepted, but next time, think about what you're about to publish on the forum that is deemed unsuitable.
Cry? my apology was not directed to the likes of you, because if you did take it in consideration youd be on the one of those cavemen. If you can read i clearly stated that my comment wasnt directed to the majority ;) , as im Asian.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
Out of all respect and no racism , were do these asian parents get the money to pay for tutor , they drive a 77' corolla , look like cavemen and smell like seaweed. (No racist) Not all asians are like this but so many ive met , my school is predominently Asian.

So where do they get the money to pay for tutoring? at 30-40$ a hour at famous asian tutoring services ex Pre-Uni?
Asians are prepared to sacrifice everything for education and 99+ UAI.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
People have different values based on their upbringing and this is linked to race.
Asian people tend to have tutors because they value education (in other words getting a UAI of 99+) above other things that different parts of the population value.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
The mindset of most Asian parents is, "We worked hard to come to Australia and raise you in this country. Now you go study and get a good UAI and achieve the opportunities or you fail."

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
The mindset of most Asian parents is, "We worked hard to come to Australia and raise you in this country. Now you go study and get a good UAI and achieve the opportunities or you fail."
I don't like that mindset even though it might be true. I will really say "f*** ***" to my parents if they make complaints towards me for not getting their desired UAI. If I got 60 UAI with tonnes of studying, that's my probably my potential.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
This is my parents' logic:
  • They came to Australia with minimal contacts and minimal funds and still managed to set up family and career despite language barriers.
  • I was born here with no language barriers, good financial support and good family support.
  • Therefore I should be successful.

selablad

HSC
Aplus said:
Except for the "or you fail" bit, that actually makes a lot of sense... My parents are like that (not Asian, African, but you know, the whole immigrant thing) and I guess that's how I would be too if I moved to a different country and everything...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Well I just added the fail part to be extreme.

SimonLee13

HSC
Aplus said:
The mindset of most Asian parents is, "We worked hard to come to Australia and raise you in this country. Now you go study and get a good UAI and achieve the opportunities[we didn't have] or you fail."
^^ This

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
osamaelias said:
Cry? my apology was not directed to the likes of you, because if you did take it in consideration youd be on the one of those cavemen. If you can read i clearly stated that my comment wasnt directed to the majority ;) , as im Asian.
Yeah, but you still could've expressed it abit better...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Continuum said:
Yeah, but you still could've expressed it abit better...
Exactly, and if someone wants to pay money for their children's future instead of driving a flashy car - then why not?... it's their money.

My parent's concept is quite simular .."We worked hard to come to Australia and raise you in this country. Now you go study and get a good UAI and achieve the opportunities." - but if i don't get a high UAI - as long as I try then they're happy - because that'll be my full potential.

happyness

HSC
osamaelias said:
Out of all respect and no racism , were do these asian parents get the money to pay for tutor ,they drive a 77' corolla , look like cavemen and smell like seaweed. (No racist) Not all asians are like this but so many ive met , my school is predominently Asian.

So where do they get the money to pay for tutoring? at 30-40$ a hour at famous asian tutoring services ex Pre-Uni?
I think migrants, predominantly Asians, work hard to give their children every opportunity of becoming successful. They come to Australia in the hopes that their children will have a better future and greater opportunities than they ever had.

For my parents tutoring is a means of saying, 'We are doing everything possible to make sure you achieve a really good UAI, and since you're getting tutored there really isn't a reason why you shouldn't.'

Oh and another thing, stop stereotyping. I'm certain that you do not appreciate it when people make prejudiced statements about middle-eastern people. :)

happyness

HSC
StaceyK293920 said:
Well those factors mentioned all basically describe me. I can get easily distracted at times, I don't work hard and I sometimes tend to procrastinate. I can get homework and assignment tasks done quite easily, but when it comes to preparing for an exam or assessment task, I find it pointless and end up cramming in the end. How do I overcome this? Do you believe a study timetable would probably be the best idea, by sticking to a routine and making it a habit? I also rarely revise and end up reaching total perfection for my homework and assignments, in which time continues to run out, day by day.

I've lost it. I've got assessment tasks coming up and I'm confused. This report, I've gained quite a lot of A's, a few B's and C's all over the place, and those B's and C's are due to the early half yearly exams (lack of revision and study, day-dreaming). How can I overcome this? I'm always keen and thinking about studying hard and working hard when I'm about to arrive home, thinking about which subject to start on, but in the end, I don't. In the library though, I can achieve this easily. So should I change my study environment? I've got a study table and a computer right next to it, and I tend to go on BOS straight away to procrastinate (like now) and play step mania lol. I'm thinking about putting a study table right in my room and removing the TV. This will probably work and will get me into a habit of studying and revising daily.

Sorry about all these questions in general lol. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks.
That pretty much describes me! However, I'm using these holidays to change myself. I'm working on assessments, as well as study notes in preparation for the yearlies.

Year 11 is the time where you learn from your mistakes and work on improving your study habits for year 12, which is only a term away! I know that sometimes it's difficult to just sit down and start something, but learn to motivate yourself. Visualise yourself at the end of year 12, after finding out your UAI. I know that personally I'd rather be content with achieving a UAI that reflected my true potential, rather than one which only reflected the amount, or lack of, preparation that I put in. This is what I am using to change myself. Good luck :)

shaon0

HSC
happyness said:
I think migrants, predominantly Asians, work hard to give their children every opportunity of becoming successful. They come to Australia in the hopes that their children will have a better future and greater opportunities than they ever had.

For my parents tutoring is a means of saying, 'We are doing everything possible to make sure you achieve a really good UAI, and since you're getting tutored there really isn't a reason why you shouldn't.'

Oh and another thing, stop stereotyping. I'm certain that you do not appreciate it when people make prejudiced statements about middle-eastern people. :)
lol....thats the same think with my parents. Except i haven't got tuition yet but will in Term 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)