• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do any of you do all 6 subjects? (1 Viewer)

M.I.A-187

HSC
Just asking part from the extras like maths and english extension, do anyone here still do all their subject they selected without dropping one? Well since i am not particularly good at a subject, i decide to not drop any of them so i can get more mark.

Do my score get marked down by a subject if i didn't do well on one of them or do they all just simply added up? I need some advice please :(

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
nah.

only ur 10 best subjects count towards ur UAI.

so if you do well in like 5 subjects, but bomb out in say IPT ( for example) ; IPT's mark doesn't count and ur best 5 subjects [ wateva they may be ] are the onli ones that count.

i do 6 subjects ... w/ extension maths .. haha
7 subjects would be too much for me.

lala2

Banned
HSC
One of the girls in my school did 4U Maths, 2U English, Physics, Bio, Chem, Eco (6 subjects), but whether she was just too busy taking care of herself as a boarder and trying to find uni accomodation, or the workload was just too much (14 units, plus the fact she had only 3 frees out of a 12 day cycle when most people get at least 5), she did worse than expected. She was bascially a 90+ in everything, but meh, 'only' got about 6 units 90+.

As shinji said, only your 10 best units count.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Best 10 units including 2 units of English (best 2 units of English if you do extension English).

I did the traditional six subjects but was accelerated in IPT and completed the 2005 IPT HSC last year. For the 2006 HSC I will only be studying five subjects+2005's IPT = 6 HSC subjects.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
M.I.A-187 said:
Just asking part from the extras like maths and english extension, do anyone here still do all their subject they selected without dropping one? Well since i am not particularly good at a subject, i decide to not drop any of them so i can get more mark.

Do my score get marked down by a subject if i didn't do well on one of them or do they all just simply added up? I need some advice please :(
Most subjects (except for extensions) are worth 2 units. For the UAI, your best 2 units of English (usually your only 2 units of English) plus your next best 8 units are counted, so more subjects does not equal better marks. In fact, more subjects can mean less time devoted to each individual subject, and worse marks achieved overall (like in lala2's example).

If you're not particularly good at your subjects, you're probably better off dropping your worst ones to concentrate on improving your others. Remember: 10 units (basically 5 subjects) is all you need for a UAI. The better you go in 10 units, the better your UAI. :)

I_F

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
M.I.A-187 said:
Do my score get marked down by a subject if i didn't do well on one of them or do they all just simply added up?
As others have stated, it is the best 10 units of your subjects, including 2 units of english in the 10 that are counted towards the UAI.

If you are doing more than 10, and you are struggling in a subject, then you should drop it because it will only be a waste of your time over this year and will affect your other subjects. All the best mate. ;)

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Focus subjects

I'm doing 11 units, dropped phys and picked up ext2 maths. Also do chem, jap cont, eng adv and studies of religion one unit (compulsary at my school and definately not going to be counted.)
I find jap really easy and can coast along with high 80s. Do you think it'd be better to focus all my energy on maths and chem (and a bit on jap, to try and get a 90) while neglecting english a bit? Like, I'd still try hard in all the english assignments but I really don't like it and I think that if I were to get over 90 in english, it'd be at the disadvantage of my other subjects.

Does anyone else have their bludge subjects and focus subjects?

Last edited:

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
English (adv)
Maths
IPT
Chemistry
SDD
Rel (1)
Mod. Hist.
Legal Studies.

I did 8 subjects :)
That's bullshit.

Why would you want to do 15 units?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I do seven subjects, but i have 4 one unit subjects

Ext Hist
Ext Eng 1
Ext Eng 2
SOR1

as well as
Ancient History
Advanced English
Visual Arts

Monz

HSC
I'm doing 12 units for the HSC, but i've already done 4 units in 2005. I was going to drop maths, but i screwed up my business mark something terrible, so looks like maths is staying...oh well.

nataliie

HSC
i do 12 units. i couldn't decide which subject to drop because i enjoyed all of them and i do have alot of spare time. also if i stuff up a subject later in the year i could drop it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
toadstooltown said:
Does anyone else have their bludge subjects and focus subjects?
kinda ashamed to admit it, but yes...basically i loathe and detest Maths and just want it out of my life, hence i am never particularly motivated to put the effort into it. on the other hand i really enjoy English (i do 3u) Modern History and Drama, so i always put a lot of effort into those. Biology i have no real opinion about. But most of the time if theres a Maths task and an English one coming up at the same time, English wins in terms of the time allocated to preparing for it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
kinda ashamed to admit it, but yes...basically i loathe and detest Maths and just want it out of my life, hence i am never particularly motivated to put the effort into it. on the other hand i really enjoy English (i do 3u) Modern History and Drama, so i always put a lot of effort into those. Biology i have no real opinion about. But most of the time if theres a Maths task and an English one coming up at the same time, English wins in terms of the time allocated to preparing for it.
I was going to suggest you drop maths if you hate it that much, but you're only doing 11 units which means you can't drop any 2 unit subjects.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
wel; she could have picked up an extension2 subject or extension1 english.

and then drop maths. would've worked easier coz shes more accustomed to english... but im not sure if the extension 2 subject would've worked. lol

P

pLuvia

We're not allowed to have at least 10 units to have extension subjects, but I have 11 units with 3 extensions :D:D But then again I have to formally drop biology

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)