Do any of your parents force you to do what you don't want? (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If I had chance to do pick HSC subjects again: 4uchembiophysbrah

Myrdred

HSC
Parents don't care, I don't care... I live a life of apathy

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
My parents didn't really mind, they just liked it when I did well so they would have bragging rights to family and friends.

In my family my mark was probably the best (we're all mathematically challenged - theories and essay writing are our forte) and the fact that I made it to UNSW made my mum cry lol

I did seek their advice though. I liked it when they approved on my choices :D

They knew I knew exactly what I wanted and trusted my judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think if the child didn't really want to at all, no parents can technically be successful in 'forcing' their child to do anything, sometimes we conform to our parent's wishes as a sign of respect and based on the assumption that they have more life experience and knowledge than us, so they are likely to have the foresight to know what's the best for us. My parents have always advocated the principle of allowing me to do what I like, but provide guidance at the same time on my decisions-which in most cases, is often a good thing:)

turntaker

HSC
I think if the child didn't really want to at all, no parents can technically be successful in 'forcing' their child to do anything, sometimes we conform to our parent's wishes as a sign of respect and based on the assumption that they have more life experience and knowledge than us, so they are likely to have the foresight to know what's the best for us. My parents have always advocated the principle of allowing me to do what I like, but provide guidance at the same time on my decisions-which in most cases, is often a good thing:)
Yeah I agree with you.

P.S - strawberrye-senpai has finally noticed me !!

britaker

HSC
Yeah my parents were heavily into the sciences and all that, both were doctors and wanted me to continue the "family tradition" so to speak. Unfortunately my marks in the sciences are generally less strong than my marks in English or Maths but hey, I don't hate either bio or chem (didn't do physics I'm not that insane). Looking back I really should have done more essay based subjects (economics or, gulp, art) though seeing as I'll have finished the HSC by the end of this year I don't see the point in complaining too much. Anyway, I'm planning on corporate law post high school anyway, which isn't too far off the Asian ideal or whatever, assuming I actually get an ATAR of 97/98 which is le aim.

hazelpug

HSC
I dropped VA to do Chemistry (for Med) because my parents guilt tripped me into doing it........ VA was my favourite subject :(

lavender1001

HSC
For my year 9 and 10 electives I chose food tech and my parents were totally against. I changed it to Graphics and now I am so glad I did because I'm first and it's one of my fav subjects. I also do it now for year 11. Sometimes your parents can help u heaps, other times, maybe not.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

enoilgam

HSC
My parents had no role in picking my subjects - they pretty much said choose what you want. Even though my parents werent the type to interfere, I made it very clear from the outset of year 11 that I was in charge of everything related to my education. I gave them my "Australian Government" speech. I told them that the HSC would work like Australia, they were the Governor General - the Heads of State who held no power and I was the Prime Minister who held all the power. It was probably redundant, but I wanted to make it absolutely clear that they werent to interfere.

Ironically, when I went to drop Chemistry, the school called my parents in for a meeting, because the school were hoping they would talk me out of it. My parents told them that they had no control over what I did and it was my call.

A long story, but at the end of the day, you are the one sitting the HSC and outside interference from others does nothing to help (it makes things worse usually).

Simran-

HSC
2U Maths.
All my teachers said I was capable of doing Advanced, but I absolutely hate Maths :/

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Tried persuading me to do legal studies.
Weird because they didn't care about what other subjects I chose.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
got forced into 2u maths even though I averaged 30% in years 8-11

jokes on them, tutoring cost 60/hr

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
my parents forced me to ease up on my slaying habits, i was liek, ON does what he pleases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)