Do assessment marks actually mean anything at all? (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Isn't your moderated assessment mark obtained by the performance of your rank in the actual HSC. You get that as your assessment mark? Then that is combined with your raw exam mark, correct?

So really, if i get 99% in all assessment tasks but ranked 99/100 in my subjects, it really wouldn't matter that i got 99% in all assessment marks.

enoilgam

HSC
Moderated marks are determined by your position in your cohort. Your position is determined by your rankings and the relative gaps between your raw internal marks and everybody elses. So the raw mark does matter to an extent. However, the size of the raw mark isnt indicative of anything (i.e. a raw internal mark of 90% could be moderated to anything depending on other factors).

D94

HSC
N/A
Isn't your moderated assessment mark obtained by the performance of your rank in the actual HSC. You get that as your assessment mark? Then that is combined with your raw exam mark, correct?

So really, if i get 99% in all assessment tasks but ranked 99/100 in my subjects, it really wouldn't matter that i got 99% in all assessment marks.
Your marks are important. Your rank does not determine your marks, unless you are first or last or you are the only student in your cohort.

I explained it in another thread:

[...] what they do is they look at the mean/average of the raw internal marks and compare this with the average of the HSC exam marks of the cohort. If the raw internal is lower, they raise it, and vice versa. Generally, all moderated assessment marks are contained within the bounds of the highest/lowest exam marks - the highest exam mark is given to the first ranked student for their moderated assessment mark, and vice versa for the last ranked student.

To determine each student's individual moderated assessment mark, they look at how much they deviate from each other student and raise/lower these marks to proportionally fit between the highest/lowest exam marks. The differences between students' marks are proportionally the same, so they do reflect your school assessment performance. If the average of the newly adjusted marks still differ then the tails might be raised/lowered to accomodate the difference.

So the individual performance at school is very important, the individual performance in the HSC is important to determine the highest/lowest exam marks and the average of the marks. The higher the average, the better the marks can be for determine the moderated assessment marks. Individual rankings are not important, it's the difference in marks that matter.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Your marks are important. Your rank does not determine your marks, unless you are first or last or you are the only student in your cohort.

I explained it in another thread:
EXACTLY. So your in-school assessment task marks do NOT matter, if they are determined from the raw hsc exam marks? First gets the highest raw exam mark as their moderated assessment mark and lowest gets the lowest exam mark as their assessment mark. Then whatever the people actually receive in the hsc, their marks, is averaged with their assessment mark?

D94

HSC
N/A
EXACTLY. So your in-school assessment task marks do NOT matter, if they are determined from the raw hsc exam marks? First gets the highest raw exam mark as their moderated assessment mark and lowest gets the lowest exam mark as their assessment mark. Then whatever the people actually receive in the hsc, their marks, is averaged with their assessment mark?
No, you are still mistaken.

Your school assessments do matter. Coming say 5th by 2% puts you in a much better situation than coming 5th by 20%. Your HSC exam marks only determine the max/min boundaries of which your but your raw school assessment marks determine your moderated assessment mark - BOS compares the mean of your raw school marks with the mean of your HSC exam marks. At no instance does rank come into this calculation, except for first and last. Your rank does not matter at all.

Your school marks are moderated according to your HSC exam performance. Whenever BOS talks about rank, it's your rank in the school, not HSC exam. BOS has provided an explanation here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

In the example they provided, clearly students do not receive assessment marks according to the 'rank' in the HSC exam:

The calculations are complicated. It's nothing you need to worry about. Even if you don't believe it, the main thing is to do as well as possible in school, gaining as many raw marks as possible, and doing well in the HSC exams individually and collectively as a cohort.

Attachments

jarrodoliver1

HSC
No, you are still mistaken.

Your school assessments do matter. Coming say 5th by 2% puts you in a much better situation than coming 5th by 20%. Your HSC exam marks only determine the max/min boundaries of which your but your raw school assessment marks determine your moderated assessment mark - BOS compares the mean of your raw school marks with the mean of your HSC exam marks. At no instance does rank come into this calculation, except for first and last. Your rank does not matter at all.

Your school marks are moderated according to your HSC exam performance. Whenever BOS talks about rank, it's your rank in the school, not HSC exam. BOS has provided an explanation here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

In the example they provided, clearly students do not receive assessment marks according to the 'rank' in the HSC exam:

The calculations are complicated. It's nothing you need to worry about. Even if you don't believe it, the main thing is to do as well as possible in school, gaining as many raw marks as possible, and doing well in the HSC exams individually and collectively as a cohort.
Thankyou, and sorry for, i guess, believing something that was wrong. Our principal explained it a very different way, and they are a senior hsc exmainer..

sinawi

HSC
I'm not sure if this helps, but in Ancient History my teacher would keep marking everyone down and would do so throughout the year very harshly in terms of assessments and exams. Not one student entered the HSC sitting on an internal mark of above 90% (I was ranked 1st and went in on approximately 85%). I scored a 97 examination mark, which lead to a moderated assessment mark of 97 and HSC mark of 97. 2nd Scored a 92 exam mark and so on and so forth, so there were a couple of band 6s here and there.

The final exam is the most important, and raw marks in that exam are probably the bulk of your hsc mark. That's just a sort of less 'educated' view based on my 2012 HSC perspective. Hope it helps

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The final exam mark counts for 50% of the final total and the moderated assessment marks counts for the other 50%.

Do your assessment task marks matter? Yes because they determine your ranks.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
The final exam mark counts for 50% of the final total and the moderated assessment marks counts for the other 50%.

Do your assessment task marks matter? Yes because they determine your ranks.
Yes, your assessment tasks matter because they determine your ranks, BUT do the marks you achieve matter? How if the moderated assessment mark achieved? People are so confusing, some say ranks mean nearly nothing, others say they mean everything...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school sets the assessment tasks, marks them and then calculates the mark they send to the BOS using the weighting for each task that students are given. Schools send a final mark to the BOS - whole numbers only.

The BOS records the marks sent in by the school and uses those marks to determine ranks, which they publish on Students Online for you to check after all HSC exams are finished - you have about a two week window.

After the final exams are completed and marked the BOS matches the exam marks to the school cohort this way:

The pin the top assessment mark to the top exam mark for the cohort and the bottom exam mark to the bottom assessment mark for the cohort. That establishes the parameters for you class (there are exceptions called outliers which are exam results that fall considerably outside the range and expectations established by the school's marks).

Then the BOS established the total exam marks earned, the mean and the median and use those statistics to award assessment marks. They also take into consideration the gaps between he different students.

So consider the following two sets of students:

Set A - 90, 88, 84, 81, 76 and 56
Set B - 90 81, 74, 72, and 56

The top and bottom are the same but other figures will be different so the two classes, outside of the top and bottom assessment marks will differ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)