Do HSC markers check for sources in Ancient History? (1 Viewer)

Pharaoh

HSC
This may sound like a stupid question, but do HSC markers check for sources in Ancient History? There's no way they know every source ever written, or even every historian. So is it possible for someone (not me) to bullshit the sources or historians and get away with it?

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
This may sound like a stupid question, but do HSC markers check for sources in Ancient History? There's no way they know every source ever written, or even every historian. So is it possible for someone (not me) to bullshit the sources or historians and get away with it?
Whilst it is true that the markers would not have read every single book ever made for ancient history, nor the historians, they would instantly be able to tell whether it's legit or not. Keeping in mind that the markers are pretty experienced in their fields, they would have enough knowledge about the historians and sources associated in their specific area of marking.

Pharaoh

HSC
I guess you've got a point, but what are the chances of some person making up something like "this is evident through Herodotus Book iii and by Arrian" and actually getting marks for it as a legitimate source? Again I just wanna point out that it's a friend of mine who thought of this and I have no intention of taking the risk lol :p

Pharaoh

HSC
Whilst it is true that the markers would not have read every single book ever made for ancient history, nor the historians, they would instantly be able to tell whether it's legit or not. Keeping in mind that the markers are pretty experienced in their fields, they would have enough knowledge about the historians and sources associated in their specific area of marking.
^^^

HSC
I've made up cases for legal studies, quotes for ancient history aswell as historians. Just make it sound believable, and especially for the HSC exam, it's not like they are going to notice whether it's fake or not. I mean c'mon, they have been going through alot of kids papers, while doing it an extrememly fast pace, in a hot stuffy hall.

Okashi

HSC
I've made up cases for legal studies, quotes for ancient history aswell as historians. Just make it sound believable, and especially for the HSC exam, it's not like they are going to notice whether it's fake or not. I mean c'mon, they have been going through alot of kids papers, while doing it an extrememly fast pace, in a hot stuffy hall.
I thought papers are scanned so they do it at home now.

Emily Howard

HSC
i took an history elective, my lecturer marked the hsc, she sed dat dey hav to giv benefit ov doubt oh btw shes been makin da hsc for 10 years or so n she is a well respected historian

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
If it's going to pass the marker it has to sound legit. You can't expect to make up a historian named John Smith and expect to get away with it.

If you say it like "as the writings of AJP Taylor demonstrate" then that would be legit, yes.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
While they may not know them all, you'd be very surprised at how many they do know. While you could probably get away with it, you're not doing yourself any favours, and there's definitely the possibility of getting caught out.

Lina3

HSC
I would personally never do this and its very risky. If you learn your historians, you wouldn't need to do it. Yes, you may not remember exactly what idea goes with what historian but you are much more likely to get away with attributing an idea or quote to Herodotus than to a made up historian. For example, say if you are doing Sparta and you are in the middle of one of the big questions and remember a quote that you think is from an ancient source. Its safer to take a stab at it and say its from Plutarch or Thucydides or Herodotus or Aristotle or whatever other historian you know existed than a made up one.

Pharaoh

HSC
I would personally never do this and its very risky. If you learn your historians, you wouldn't need to do it. Yes, you may not remember exactly what idea goes with what historian but you are much more likely to get away with attributing an idea or quote to Herodotus than to a made up historian. For example, say if you are doing Sparta and you are in the middle of one of the big questions and remember a quote that you think is from an ancient source. Its safer to take a stab at it and say its from Plutarch or Thucydides or Herodotus or Aristotle or whatever other historian you know existed than a made up one.
Yeah, you're right. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks everyone for the responses :)

Emily Howard

HSC
tbh dere are a lot of easy historians to remember

i did a roman course once and i can still remember names: fergus miller, wallace-hadrill, syme, yakobsen, holkeskamp or something, pliny, plutarch, livy, brunt, cassius dio, etc

if u can remember names u can easily make up a quote although it is better to paraphrase or "as suggested by syme" etc then to directly quote

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)