Do I have a chance of getting a leadership role? (1 Viewer)

MC24

HSC
N/A
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I've posted it in the wrong forum.

I'm an international student looking to transfer to an Australian high school next year for Year 11 entry (in 2021). What are my chances of getting selected for a leadership role in either Year 11 or Year 12? I believe prefects/captains etc. are chosen by both students and teachers, but obviously as a new student I wouldn't exactly be a popular vote for many people. Would I even have a chance of getting picked? What can I do to maximise my chances of obtaining a leadership role?

Thanks guys :)

c8

HSC
In year 11 and 12 the leadership roles are typically SRC, sports captain, school captain/vice captain, prefect and a few others. Being a genuine person and open to making new friends will go a long way. You have the opportunity to essentially start fresh so make a good impression with your cohort and aim to be outgoing showing you're a well rounded person. Is there also a particular reason you want a leadership role?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Gotta be specific mate. Legit, when I first read that sentence, the first thing I thought of was not the soft drink. Your brain will automatically interpret "Coke" as a totally different thing as you get older.

AKONS

HSC
You do absolutely have a chance but you have to be aware you will likely be disadvantaged. Those in your year that are already in the SRC or more well-known by their peers tend to be the ones that are elected. So to compensate you will likely have to make friends with everyone and make people aware of you as a good candidate for SRC.

AKONS

HSC
Also good to know, as far a I'm aware, in Australia SRC isn't completely a popularity contest. From my experience, the SRC stereotypes of a kid: always giving speeches at assembly, in SRC already, and is not a slacker are those that are equally considered, However, popularity (in the sense people like you or you are friendly; and not like in the Mean Girls the movie) is important in pushing a kid over the edge from a good SRC candidate to actually becoming an SRC member.

AKONS

HSC
Good luck MC24!!!

I wish you all the best with getting into a leadership role :D

MC24

HSC
N/A
You do absolutely have a chance but you have to be aware you will likely be disadvantaged. Those in your year that are already in the SRC or more well-known by their peers tend to be the ones that are elected. So to compensate you will likely have to make friends with everyone and make people aware of you as a good candidate for SRC.
Thank you for replying! I have a few more questions:

1. How many people in a year group tend to be part of the SRC on average?
2. When does the selection process typically happen? Like if it's at the start of the year then obviously I wouldn't have much of a chance compared to other people
3. To run for a leadership role do we just have to give a speech and let people vote or is there a longer/more complicated process like campaigning etc.

AKONS

HSC
I'm answering based on my experience at my high school. Other schools may be different.

1. 5 SRC members are elected in each year from yr 7-10, then in year 11 there are ten members elected. In year 12 there are 12 members elected (including Captain and Vice-captain).

2. At my school the selection process happens in term 3 (the coming term) which means those elected are SRC for term 4 of this year and up to the beginning of term 4 in the next year (eg. you are voted for yr 11 SRC in term 3. You are SRC from term 4 of this year to term 3 of next year).

3. These are the selection processes:

Year 7-11:
Applicants submit nomination form (with signatures from 1 teacher and 1 other student) --> students in the grade are given a week to vote on the schools intranet --> students told who won --> assembly inauguration for all SRC members

Year 12:
Nomination form (not sure if it is the same as above) --> voting for 12 Prefects from all nominations (not sure how long) --> from these voted prefects 6 senior prefects are voted --> from these 6 senior prefects a captain and vice captain can apply to be captain --> submitting a captain's application form --> 1 prepared speech in front of the grade and 1 impromptu in response to a question on the day --> captain is voted if he has first preference on the most votes and vice-captain is most 2nd preferences on all votes (I think but I might be wrong) --> assembly inauguration

It's also good to know is that at my school both teachers and students vote for year 12 Student Representative Council while I'm not sure if teachers vote in the younger years.

Hope this helps :D

Just remember other schools have different procedures and number of prefects. Hope this gave you a better understanding though.

Good luck!!! :)

ADHERETOLOGIC

HSC
I'm not sure how it works but if you try year 11 your chances are slim because you're new but for year 12, if you can try out, then do it after you've shown people you are capable and likable for a year (saying that being yourself is the best approach).

AKONS

HSC
Also, this may just be at my school, but overt campaigning like signs and posters are frowned upon at my school. I'd include more covert methods such as assembly speeches about school groups you are a part of to make people see you as a leader.

MC24

HSC
N/A
2. At my school the selection process happens in term 3 (the coming term) which means those elected are SRC for term 4 of this year and up to the beginning of term 4 in the next year (eg. you are voted for yr 11 SRC in term 3. You are SRC from term 4 of this year to term 3 of next year).
I see, so if the school I'm moving to has a similar selection time frame then I'd only get to run for Y12 SRC in term 3 of Y11. Doesn't seem like I'd have a lot of time to make myself stand out as a qualified candidate unless I somehow managed to make friends with everyone in my year during the first two terms 😂 thanks for the in-depth reply though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)