Do I have to apply a sudden brake? (1 Viewer)

judylai

HSC
N/A
Hi, guys.

I would like to ask a question here about the choice when you see the lights turns yellow when you are driving approching intersections.

The situation is that I was driving at 40-50km/h and approching a traffic light. The lights turned yellow when i was about 4-5 meters away. So I passed it. Surprisingly, I failed because the test officer said I disobey the traffic rules. But I disagree.

1. I remember the car instructors said that we are allowed to pass the yellow lights with caution. But we have to stop if we have enough time to check whether there is a car following closely and enough distance to stop your car behind the white lines.

2. The test officer said you have to stop if you are still behind the white lines when the lights turn yellow even I have to use a sudden break. I wonder if I do so and the car stops in the middle of traffic lights or past the white lines, he will fail me as well. If I was lucky to stop behind the line, he will fails me as I cause the dangerous situation to the passengers in the car.

Please leave your oppinion, thanks.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If you've recounted the situation accurately, the testing officer is mistaken.

You must stop for a yellow signal, but only if it is possible for the car to do so safely in the available distance.

If you were really 5 metres away from the lights, travelling at a speed of 50km/h, it defies belief that he would expect you to come to a complete stop in this time.

I find it hard to believe a testing officer would have such a fundamental misunderstanding of traffic rules. You should have asked to speak to his supervisor about the situation. Too late now. If you go back to the same center and are tested by the same officer, it may be worth discussing after the test.

WannaBang?

HSC
if you're 4-5 metres away from the white line, then you should pass the orange light. otherwise, if you tried to stop, you'd skid. that'd fail you.

judylai

HSC
N/A
That is what I thought. I did try to argue with the test officer and the supervisor.

The test officer said you have to stop if there is no chance that a car will hit you from behind.

The supervisor said she was not in the car at that time, I do not have any evidence to convince her. The test officer made the decision on your test, not her.

It happened in Bondi Junction RTA.

monesh

HSC
your allowed to complain if u feel u got a dodgy test. go do that cause this instructor failed u for something that didnt deserve a fail.

quik.

HSC
I would go the 'official complaint' route, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it. 'Expert' opinion v random kid.

decypher

HSC
If you were only 4-5m behind the line and travelling at 40 km/h then you wouldn't have been able to stop in that distance, as it takes about 26m* to stop the car.

* Source .

kenny75

HSC
If you were only 4-5m behind the line and travelling at 40 km/h then you wouldn't have been able to stop in that distance, as it takes about 26m* to stop the car.

* Source .
+1

i dont think you can change the law of physics just for that asshole, he/she obviously wanted to fail you. State govt is going broke and need every cents they can get.

Jake22

HSC
If you can stop --> Stop
If you can't --> Don't stop

Thats how I see it.

HSC

* Source .
haha of fuck those cars are shit. but i guess your average car + reaction time would give you something like that. i tested my cars braking from 100-0 and it was like 36m. <20 for 50km/h. But a prado or something would take fucking ages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)