Do i really need maths? (1 Viewer)

brandenguyen

HSC
Right now im doing adv maths and thinking of dropping it (completely dropping it), but the problem is that im aiming to do a bachelor in business and commerce at uni. Will i need maths as an entry point into this course or can i drop this and if not are there any other alternatives i can take such as a bridging course? Additionally do any business courses specifically require maths?

Meshy590

HSC
from my knowledge, no business courses (except Actuarial Studies) require maths as a prerequisite.

qwerty44

HSC
Don't a lot of first year commerce subjects have a degree of maths in them?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Simple maths. I know later Economics courses have stuff like partial differential equations or something like that, or Lagrange multipliers...

But for those things, I'd assume they'd teach you that sort of stuff.

I don't think you'll need maths - but if you have a maths background, you should be able to pick-up the sort of maths you need easily-ish.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Don't a lot of first year commerce subjects have a degree of maths in them?
Surprisingly not. It's useful for things like accounting, finance and economics, but that's about it.

OP: If you plan on getting into one of those three areas, then I'd advise you to stay in Advanced. If not, then it won't matter too much if you drop down or drop it completely.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
You won't really use much maths for accounting (if you can add, subtract, multiply and divide you're set). Finance yes. Economics yes.

Alternatively you can always do a bridging course, but many people find that learning the mathematical concepts at school is easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)