Do I take a Cadetship or not?? (1 Viewer)

zakk6

HSC
Hey guys, in a bit of a situation here and was wonderin' if i could get some advice. I got a call yesterday and was told i was accepted into PWC for their trainee program for 2011. Problem is, i don't know if i should take it or not, cause there are pros and cons for both sides of the arguement.

So what does everyone else think?

Thanks guys

chrisnumber1

HSC
Hey guys, in a bit of a situation here and was wonderin' if i could get some advice. I got a call yesterday and was told i was accepted into PWC for their trainee program for 2011. Problem is, i don't know if i should take it or not, cause there are pros and cons for both sides of the arguement.

Thanks guys
accept now, do it and you can always turn it down later. to be honest i had my cadetship as a back up incase i dint get into what i wanted.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What are your pros/cons as you see it? We need to know a bit more about you before we can give any real opinion. ALso need to know which division it's for, and whether that's what you see yourself doing.

zakk6

HSC
Alrighty, i was asked to list some pros and cons as i see it. Just for info, i got accepted into private clients, i think specifically in the business and taxation services.

Pros:
Obviously financial benefit
Stable job through uni
Trainee grant for two years of study without needing to work
Great Experience in the business field
Networking

Cons
Have to do 2 years part time uni, so extended degree
Can't do a double degree, though i suppose i can get around that by going for commerce liberal studies

Social life? from what i've heard you lose a rather large chunk of it, especially during the uni breaks, as i'd be working fulltime whereas everyone else would be on a break

Whilst i do want to do business, it's more in the field of marketing rather then accounting, but sadly there weren't any marketing cadetships around

No chance of gap year or any major holiday (only the annual leave of 4 weeks)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Alrighty, i was asked to list some pros and cons as i see it. Just for info, i got accepted into private clients, i think specifically in the business and taxation services.

Pros:
Obviously financial benefit
Stable job through uni
Trainee grant for two years of study without needing to work
Great Experience in the business field
Networking

Cons
Have to do 2 years part time uni, so extended degree
Can't do a double degree, though i suppose i can get around that by going for commerce liberal studies

Social life? from what i've heard you lose a rather large chunk of it, especially during the uni breaks, as i'd be working fulltime whereas everyone else would be on a break

Whilst i do want to do business, it's more in the field of marketing rather then accounting, but sadly there weren't any marketing cadetships around

No chance of gap year or any major holiday (only the annual leave of 4 weeks)
I'll address the cons first;

1. If your degree is only 3 years, all you are really doing is stretching one of those years into two. You're getting work experience, paid, improved promotional prospects, better job opportunities when you graduate... IMO not really such a big loss. That also being said, in my time when we only had half a day of leave per week, a lot of us still overloaded in uni and some people finished a semester early.
2. Double degrees are tricky- if you have your heart set on that, I agree a cadetship is probably not the best option unless you like that industry/job alot.
3. Social life is actually better IMO as you have very defined periods of 'fun' (i.e. Friday nights/weekends) and you're more likely to make the most of it. Lots of firm-sponsored and just random events with your friends from work will fill up time. Also keep in mind that your friends who don't work full time will still be working part time to get cash coming in the door to pay for their lifestyle/uni/etc.
4. You can always change your start date- some guys deferred their cadetship by a year, and some even deferred their start date after they finish uni by a year, and some did both! It's very flexible as long as you tell the firm's HR/resourcing guys up front.

You seem to have a good idea of the strengths/pros.

Rosenbaum

HSC
You can still have a decent social life with a cadetship. Keep in mind you won't be granted the full 'college' experience as you'd miss out on a lot of reasons why some people refer to their university years as the best years of their lives.

A cadetship means you won't be a poverty stricken student living on mi goreng and goon. You'll be the one that has the successful image when people from your high school see you suited up in your facebook display picture..

I'd say at this stage, defiantly accept it and decide on it when you get a look at the contract. Also, congratulations, a PwC cadetship is not an easily achievable offer.

I'm speaking as a second year cadet by the way.

Guesss

HSC

Thanks guys
Do i know yu? :eek: lol.

What day did yu go to the assessment centre???

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You can still have a decent social life with a cadetship. Keep in mind you won't be granted the full 'college' experience as you'd miss out on a lot of reasons why some people refer to their university years as the best years of their lives.

A cadetship means you won't be a poverty stricken student living on mi goreng and goon. You'll be the one that has the successful image when people from your high school see you suited up in your facebook display picture..

I'd say at this stage, defiantly accept it and decide on it when you get a look at the contract. Also, congratulations, a PwC cadetship is not an easily achievable offer.

I'm speaking as a second year cadet by the way.
I wonder if we know each other (considering that's what my FB pic was for a while!)... hmmmMmm....

chrisnumber1

HSC
Still not sure if this is the best attitude towards this.
what is the downside. when i turned down mine they said thats fine, call us in 6 months if you change your mind, and they just took an extra 2nd year person on

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
what is the downside. when i turned down mine they said thats fine, call us in 6 months if you change your mind, and they just took an extra 2nd year person on
It depends on the way you do it I suppose. Most firms will be quite understanding but it's still not desirable to cancel on contracts especially if you were very committed to the cadetship in your recruitment process.

Also depends on what you are moving to instead. There's no hard and fast rule so the best approach is just to be open about it in your discussions.

zakk6

HSC
Do i know yu? :eek: lol.

What day did yu go to the assessment centre???

uhh i went to the assessment centre on thursday last week for private clients, which day did you go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)