Do my Survey (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveCLARA

HSC
I am conducting a survey for my Personal Interest Project for the HSC Society and Culture course. My topic is “GR8- Why doesn’t Miss get it?” which talks about Cyber language, is it a dumbing to our vocabulary or an outlet for creativity ?
There is no need for you to print your name as this survey will remain confidential.

Gender (please bold answer):
Male
Female

Age (please bold answer):
12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

1. Do you know what Short Hand is? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No

2. Do/Have you use(d) Short Hand before? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No

3. Why do/did you use(d) Short Hand?

Have you ever modified correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
For example: You =U, I= Aii or Me=Meeh
Yes
No

5. How often do/did you modify correctly spelt words on the internet?(Please bold answer)
Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
6. When would you modify correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Instant messaging (MSN messenger, Yahoo Messenger and etc)
Forums
Social networks (Facebook, Bebo, Myspace and etc)
Online games

All of the above
Other (please print) ______________
7. Why do/did you modify correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Disabling parents from reading your conversations
Faster to type
All of the above

8. How far would you modify your correctly spelt words (Please bold answer)
Every word you would type
Some words that you would type
Particular words (For example: You = U, Before = B4)
9. Have you ever mistakenly modified your word(s) in school work or any other formal documents? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No
10. Have you ever forgotten how to spell word(s) properly because you had modified your words too many times on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Yes
N
o
11. If you had, why did you stop modifying words on the internet?

12. Do you think that if you modify your words too much, you will lose the ability to correctly in the future? Why?

13. What do you think is “better”? Spelling correctly or modifying your words on the internet? Why?

14. What do you think of the whole “new language on the internet”?

15. Do you think it is a dumbing to our vocabulary or an outlet for creativity?

Thank you for participating in this survey :uhhuh:

Opps, i almost forgot. The deadline for this survey is 12th May 2008.

If you would like to PM me, for confidential reasons. Feel free to do so.

Oh by the way, you win : The feeling of happiness as you have helped a Society and Culture Student become one more step closer in achieving a band 5 for her SAC pip. LOL.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am conducting a survey for my Personal Interest Project for the HSC Society and Culture course. My topic is “GR8- Why doesn’t Miss get it?” which talks about Cyber language, is it a dumbing to our vocabulary or an outlet for creativity ?
There is no need for you to print your name as this survey will remain confidential.

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

Have you ever modified correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No

5. How often do/did you modify correctly spelt words on the internet?(Please bold answer)
Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
6. When would you modify correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
7. Why do/did you modify correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

9. Have you ever mistakenly modified your word(s) in school work or any other formal documents? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No
10. Have you ever forgotten how to spell word(s) properly because you had modified your words too many times on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Yes
N
o

12. Do you think that if you modify your words too much, you will lose the ability to correctly in the future? Why?
Yes because you will gradually forget how to spell it.

13. What do you think is “better”? Spelling correctly or modifying your words on the internet? Why?
Spelling correctly is preferred way because it doesn't seem too informal. It may have negative impact on your own writing if used in excess.

Don't need ones when we already have proper vocabulary to deal with those. However, if we did not have established vocabulary for particular 'thing', new language would be required.

Dumbing to our vocabulary

You're welcome

selablad

HSC

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

I hardly ever do, mostly abbreviations like brb which you say all the time, and it's repetitive to write
Yes
No

Never
Rarely
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

I don't modify words
Yes
No
Yes
N
o

People's spelling these days is pretty terrible, but I don't know if that is to do with "short hand", but it probably has something to do with it. You don't ever have to spell out difficult words, so you don't get practice.

13. What do you think is “better”? Spelling correctly or modifying your words on the internet? Why? Depends on the context, but in general if you use too much short hand, people tend not to take you seriously, because they think you are some silly 12-year-old who has no idea about what they're are talking about.

See 15

I don't think it's being very creative to write "b4", so a lot of those shortenings are just laziness, not new words. Occasionally someone invents a new word (can't actually think of any off the top of my head) or phrase that enriches the language, and that is being creative. But most of the time when people use short hand, they aren't being creative, they are being lazy or following a trend.

No problem

Oh by the way, you win : The feeling of happiness as you have helped a Society and Culture Student become one more step closer in achieving a band 5 for her SAC pip. LOL.

HSC
loveCLARA said:

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

3. Why do/did you use(d) Short Hand? coz its quicker lol

Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

there u go i got bored but mehhhhhhh

law

HSC
N/A
loveCLARA said:

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

I'm either in a hurry or I'm too lazy to write correctly. I only use it when I'm on MSN. I suppose I just followed the way many other people my age are writing (ohhh herd mentality!).

Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
No

Some people would definitely forget to write correctly when crafting formal documents, provided they always used short hand as writing in such a way would become second nature. I am always cautious (probably because I am compulsive) when it comes to writing school assessments but I have heard friends that say they continue to forget how to correctly spell words because they use short hand or use 'spell check' on their computers without actually understanding how to spell certain words.

Convenience-wise, writing in short hand would seem the better option, however, writing in such a way shows a lack of intelligence and may lead others on the internet to take what you write jokingly, even when you are trying to be serious. Therefore, writing correctly is definitely "better".

This "new language" is fine between friends on MSN or in chat rooms, though the "old language" is what will continally be needed to write formal documents, to ensure the seriousness of what you say and to ensure that you are viewed professionally.

There are plenty of other ways to be creative so when it comes to writing, it should be done correctly most of the time. Sure it is fine to modify your writing during informal conversations, however, doing this continuously can hinder the indivdual's vocabularly, especially when writing formally or in a time of stress. Such a stressful situation includes during examinations where it can be difficult to monitor how you are writing. Writing in short hand continuously may also lead to blanking out when the correct spelling of a word is required.
[/center]

This sounds like a very interesting topic. I would have loved to do Society and Culture but my school did not offer it. GOOD LUCK!!!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
loveCLARA said:

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

3. Why do/did you use(d) Short Hand? itz ezier. lulz.

Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

Yes. With the continuation of the modification of the different types of words, you will continue to get use to lengthening your words shorter and in different ways, therefore, becoming a habit. As the result of the habit, you will lose the ability to correctly spell in the future.

Spelling correctly. See above.

its so awesum, lyk, u can mak wordz shorta, so u dnt waste tym :p

Dumbing.

[/center]

This was a fun survey, but at the same time, I procrastinated :(.

Last edited:

loveCLARA

HSC
Thanks to everyone who havd taken time out just to do my survey! your time is extremley apperciated.

Oh and in case if anyone is wondering why i put ; "Oh by the way, you win : The feeling of happiness as you have helped a Society and Culture Student become one more step closer in achieving a band 5 for her SAC pip. LOL.". Well that's because my orignial title was "Do my Survey and you win..." but i guess the adminstrators for bored of studies changed it? :S

Thanks again everyone! :)

Deadbeat-x

HSC
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

For variously reasons, but wholly for the ease I guess; when I "cbb" (hehe) and improves brevity when taking notes in class.
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes - rarely
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o
I'm ambivalent as to why I stopped modifying words. There was a time when my writing - or typing - on the internet grew somewhat tiresome to decipher, but strangely fun at the time. I was young and naive :) now its just stupid.

Yes, I know a few people who have done that actually. I think its because the keyboard has become such a widely used tool for writing that there are those who are completely reliant on it to write in almost any medium of text; letters, essays, emails etc. So then it just becomes inevitable for 'dis sortta' writing to infiltrate their spelling, and ultimately, their vocabulary.

Spelling correctly. Just for the sake of spelling correctly =]
Modifying your words on the internet nowadays are not for brevity anymore but rather the, well, i have no idea, but the internet lingo has evolved to adding twice as many letters to the word. Its a complete WTF, so to speak lol.

Well, I think language is dynamic and it changes in time with society. Society has become technoligically and commercially minded, theres this insatiable desire for the trendy phones and laptops and such. Gone were the days of writing in writing and with the internet comes "the new language".
Verdict: its evil.

Dumbing to our vocabulary :apig:

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

Faster
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

Yes. It may become a habit.

Depends on the situation. For example, emailing a friend modification would be ok, but emailing a potential employee correct spelling must be used.

Some of it is irritating. Occasional use is ok but people who swap every correctly spelt word are irritating.

Dumbing to our vocabulary

Cerry

HSC
I've skipped a lot of the questions, since they don't really apply, because I don't actually use netspeak/text talk

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes - in both senses of the word
No

Yes
No

I sometimes use it taking notes in class. But other than that, I only ever use it when texting, because of the character limit.

4.Have you ever modified correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always

Since none of those apply to me, I figure I may as well express my extreme dislike for people who don't type properly. Typos are one thing, they happen, whatever. But going out of your way to spell something incorrectly because it looks cool/you're lazy is stupid, and it makes you look like a retard

Trend/Phase
Creativity
Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No

Yes
No

12. Do you think that if you modify your words too much, you will lose the ability to correctly in the future? Why? Probably. It's like when you do anything too much. It becomes a habit, and you do it without even noticing. So although you might KNOW how to do something, you won't, unless you put thought into it

13. What do you think is “better”? Spelling correctly or modifying your words on the internet? Why? Spelling correctly. There is honestly no need to modify your typing - I type words out in full, and touch type at something like 100 words per minute, so don't try telling me that it takes too long

I'm really not a fan. I'm one of those weird types who cares about the placement of apostrophes, so I consider that level of butchering of the human language inhumane. Not to mention uncalled for. Although, I do like n00b. And lulz and pwnd both have their place, too (usually all three in one sentence, to pay someone out).

It's not dumbing down our vocabulary - some people who type like that have an incredible vocab. It's just butchering the English language, and let's face it, the English language wasn't really that pretty to begin with (at least, not the Australian version).

HSC
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

I don't know what it is.
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o
I haven't stopped completley, i just cut down on it. I only modify a few words. I stopped because it's hard to read and requires so much effort to modify rather than spelling it out properly.
There's a chance of that yes, because you always spell it that way then spelling it fully and correctly.
Spelling correctly! I think its annoying when some people speak like that, because its hard to read.
Yeah its cool.
Outlet for creativity.

cravingforpizza

HSC
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

Because its faster.
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

Yes, I think that is a possibility because if a person starts getting a habit of doing something its hard to get over.

Well, if modifying, it should not pass the line where no one can even understand what you have said but i dont think modifying some words is that bad.
I seriously dont have an opinion on it, just that i sometimes dont understand the need to make words longer than they are eg, me= mii, baby= babii....

It is really just one of the many ways humans have found a solution for something that is hard/ takes time and i dont think it is "dumbing" or "creative" it is just another example of how much desperate people are to get rid of the smallest of their problems.

Disco Dinosaurs

HSC
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

I was 12 and everyone seemed to be doing it, wasn't sure why but I felt the need to fit in. Now I just realise that it's stupid.
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above
Other (please print) Making fun of the idiots who seriously type like that.

Every word you would type (I need to make it look genuine)
Yes
No Anyone who does this should be shot
Yes
N
o Again, if anyone has done this they do not deserve to live

There was absolutely no point in doingit, it actually took me longer to figure out what substitutions I needed to use rather than jsut typing the words normally.

It seems like some people have gotten that bad, my friend's mum is a teacher who has marked many essays which are written in 'text talk' so it seems some people are jus that stupid.

Spelling correctly of course. I don't see how anyone can take you seirously if you can not even type properly, I do not see any situation arising where I would need to butcher the spelling of words but I can see many situations were proper spelling is required.

I think it is making stupid people even stupider and there really doesn't seem to be a point in writing like that, I believe it makes people just look unintelligent.

I have no idea how it could possibly be an outlet for creativity, if anything some people may be using it as they do not know how to spell. I think it will just create problems and illiteracy over time if it is to continue this way.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
loveCLARA said:

Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

Because it was back when people started to use it. Now I hardly ever do. Apart from LOL really or BRB.

Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

Maybe a little. But not really. You just need to make sure you practice writing and stuff other places then on the internet.

Spelling correctly. It makes it a lot easier to read and also saves you from getting in a bad habit of spelling things wrong. Especially helps for when you have to write up assessments and things.

If you like it, do it. It's not my choice. However I find when people write like "HeY MaN WhAtS HaPPenInG?" really annoying.

Meh. So long as people realise they should only do it on the internet if its not being used for something formal, e.g. emails between mates, chatrooms and stuff then all is good.

No problem :)

Answers above in Bold and Orange.

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

its faster and easier
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o
to retain my habits
yes.

both. because the understanding of English lanaguages to either create or understand the modifed texts. eg
a person will understand BrB but for those who dont learn the idea they would interpret it as B are B. it would creates confusions.

Cool and easy, K.I.S.S concept.

an outlet for creativity due to the many people would make up their own meanings and shape its own perfered meanings

SiN3m

HSC
ender (please bold answer):
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

quicker
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

yes...quickly at ,least. as oyu stop using a word, your mind connects the shortened version when your think it so you automatically write 'u' instead of 'you'...really bad in exams...

modifying...quicker

not new to me...comes naturally
nope

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Male
Female

12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+

Yes
No

Yes
No

Too lazy to spell the entire word and was in a hurry.
Yes
No

Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email

Chat rooms

Forums
Online games

All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity

Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
N
o

I certainly think that the changing nature of English means that as spellings change in common usage, they will change as the norm - this is how spellings have changed over the centuries.

Personally, I think it is better to spell properly so there are no misunderstandings about what the word is supposed to be. And it also shows some sense of education and intelligence.

It's understandable but its really hard to read and understand without reading it out loud. Spelling correctly is easily recognisable as the word because the brain expects it to look a certain way. It's really very lazy.

Certainly a dumbing because people can't be bothered to use or understand the spellings as they are at the moment.

No probs :D

SpoonSamba

HSC
Male
Female
12-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50+
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes because its faster
4.Have you ever modified correctly spelt words on the internet? (Please bold answer)
Yes
No
Never
Sometimes
Occasionally
Often
Always
Blogging
Email
Chat rooms
Forums

Online games
All of the above
Trend/Phase
Creativity
Faster to type
All of the above

Yes
No
Yes
No
havent
no, i still have a lot to write properly at school and so forth, so i dont forget

Modifying, its so much faster and so u can communicate more in a shorter time. It's probably less expressive, but if u really wanna emphasise something then you don't modify the words you're using

Its the same language, it's just more convenient

Dumbing probably lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)