Do people that get 98/99 atars do just as well in uni? (1 Viewer)

peri24

HSC
to the askers question you may see a bunch of people who dont do as well and some who do well. u got other things in life now clearly.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Lol I'm asking whether or not people who do good in the HSC will do good in uni, I'm not asking if people care about ATAR in uni, I would never talk about ATAR unless the other person wanted to, its only used to get me into uni, after that it seems a bit pointless. I just want the security that I'll perform adequately in uni, thats all.

And thanks to those who offered valuable insight, I read them and I do agree. In the end its all work ethic.
Thanks for responding guys, it was great help :)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Lol I'm asking whether or not people who do good in the HSC will do good in uni, I'm not asking if people care about ATAR in uni, I would never talk about ATAR unless the other person wanted to, its only used to get me into uni, after that it seems a bit pointless. I just want the security that I'll perform adequately in uni, thats all.

And thanks to those who offered valuable insight, I read them and I do agree. In the end its all work ethic.
Thanks for responding guys, it was great help :)
that's up to you

deboiz

HSC
Asking the ATAR question is pretty dumb, it's like your still stuck in the past and have nothing else to converse about/achieved anything at university(to chat about), no-one at uni wants to chat about ATAR anymore. In addition you'll see alot of older/few years past HSC students at uni doing your first year subject either as as an elective or mature aged, and the last thing they remember/want to chat about is their ATAR(or UAI for them).

You can joke around about ATAR and shit, but a straight-forward question about it just creates an crappy atmosphere i found(people have nothing much more to say after etc..or there's always someone who flaunts their ATAR)

In relation to WAM, more of a conversation would be how did you go in your subjects last semester etc..., you try not to ask for WAM specifically unless the person feels like chatting about it, in terms of friends we discuss it all the time in terms of internships jobs etc...so abit like ATAR but still relevant
I guess there are some that are still insecure about their ATAR.

seanieg89

HSC
Its pretty different. Uni better rewards independent learning where you have a personal drive for the subject/s. It's pretty hard to do well by just going through the motions, which I find suffices in high school.

I've seen plenty of people do amazingly in uni but not at high school, and vice versa.

Also kind of depends on what you are studying.

Examine

same
HSC
Well during 1st year Commerce subs aren't too hard in term of complexity in comparison to the hsc so if you maintain your work ethic you should be fine

I'm not too sure about after 1st year or for any other degrees

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Well during 1st year Commerce subs aren't too hard in term of complexity in comparison to the hsc so if you maintain your work ethic you should be fine

Is this the same for Bachelor of Engineering (Trains)

Specifically somewhere in between Percy and Thomas?

Is it also possible to get a PhD in this field?

enoilgam

HSC

To me, HS, uni and work are all pretty much similar. There are a heap of differences dont get me wrong, but these are mostly superficial. It's like comparing the Wright Brother's plane to a modern jumbo jet. The jumbo jet is way more sophisticated, but it operates on the same principles as even the oldest aircraft (lift, thrust, drag etc).

seanieg89

HSC
To me, HS, uni and work are all pretty much similar. There are a heap of differences dont get me wrong, but these are mostly superficial.
Pretty strongly disagree with this, but whatever...everyone has their own experiences.

enoilgam

HSC
Maybe it's just the way I approach things - I always look for common principles and links and focus on those (I'm a big believer in Sun Tzu).

seanieg89

HSC
Maybe it's just the way I approach things - I always look for common principles and links and focus on those (I'm a big believer in Sun Tzu).
Well sure, that is a pretty natural human response to a new environment imo.

I can just think of many examples of people (friends/acquaintances/colleagues) whose skillsets were far better suited to one environment than the other. (Eg I found that uni suited me FAR better than high school did academically.)

They also didn't really feel very alike to me besides from the obvious base commonalities.

enoilgam

HSC
Well sure, that is a pretty natural human response to a new environment imo.

I can just think of many examples of people (friends/acquaintances/colleagues) whose skillsets were far better suited to one environment than the other. (Eg I found that uni suited me FAR better than high school did academically.)

They also didn't really feel very alike to me besides from the obvious base commonalities.
For me, I just found that they crossed over very easily - the main reason I was able to do so well at uni was because of the skills I gained from High School (i.e. study habits and methods). I just found uni to be overrated in terms of difficulty - like, people go on and on about how Uni is so much more difficult than the HSC as if it's some shocking revelation (not directed at you, I'm speaking more in general). It's tertiary education, it wouldnt make sense if it wasnt harder.

albertcamus

HSC
Just saw this thread, and IMO uni/high school are fairly different. No one pushes you in uni, it's all down to your perceptions regarding what constitutes a good mark and what doesn't. Likewise, everyone has different priorities in uni relative to high school IMO. Maybe this is because I attended a selective high school, but everyone was fixated on doing well in the HSC in Year 12, while uni for some is about balancing a work life/grades or partying/grades or the treble.

Regarding the actual workload, uni is much more aptitude based IMO - HS was lots of content-bombing/rote-learning and this is much less in uni (I can't speak for all degrees but I feel that this statement resonates for virtually every degree).

While a majority of the people getting 98-99 atars are probably doing quite well at uni, the majority of those doing well at uni wouldn't necessarily be from that bracket since the aforementioned factors really do come into play and grades aren't nearly as important in uni as they are in high school.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Just saw this thread, and IMO uni/high school are fairly different. No one pushes you in uni, it's all down to your perceptions regarding what constitutes a good mark and what doesn't. Likewise, everyone has different priorities in uni relative to high school IMO. Maybe this is because I attended a selective high school, but everyone was fixated on doing well in the HSC in Year 12, while uni for some is about balancing a work life/grades or partying/grades or the treble.

Regarding the actual workload, uni is much more aptitude based IMO - HS was lots of content-bombing/rote-learning and this is much less in uni (I can't speak for all degrees but I feel that this statement resonates for virtually every degree).

While a majority of the people getting 98-99 atars are probably doing quite well at uni, the majority of those doing well at uni wouldn't necessarily be from that bracket since the aforementioned factors really do come into play and grades aren't nearly as important in uni as they are in high school.
This guy is on 90 wam, this advice is the key to success

pHyRe

HSC
To me, HS, uni and work are all pretty much similar. There are a heap of differences dont get me wrong, but these are mostly superficial. It's like comparing the Wright Brother's plane to a modern jumbo jet. The jumbo jet is way more sophisticated, but it operates on the same principles as even the oldest aircraft (lift, thrust, drag etc).
yeah i can see what youre saying 100%

was simply a natural transition for me, just like every year in school. Primary to high school, year 10 to 11, 11 to 12 whatever. Nothing really shocking as such.

Still a tonne of memorisation in university thats for sure. More independent thinking, like essays at home and stuff, more open book stuff. But I found HSC usually required memorisation AND understanding. More focus on understanding in uni, but still.

i assume getting a job will be similar, less memorisation and more understanding. But you still have to memorise crap in a job, you know figures about the firm, events that have happened. You can look them up, but often you need to know what the hell is going on in a meeting/discussion you cant just be looking everything up all the time.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
To an extent 98/99 people do quite well in uni. They make up nearly all the people with HD wams. Then the mid 90 atars are around D wams.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To an extent 98/99 people do quite well in uni. They make up nearly all the people with HD wams. Then the mid 90 atars are around D wams.
This has happened in first year with my mates and I.

Me: mid 90's ATAR, a lot of extra-curriculars, DN WAM.

Mates: high 90's ATAR, little to moderate extra-curriculars, HD WAM. One has zero extra curriculars but 90+ WAM and likely 8 HDs.

However there are cases where students with high ATAR's salvage a CR WAM or barely cope. Its not the case that automatically you'll get a high WAM. You have to work hard for it.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
This has happened in first year with my mates and I.

Me: mid 90's ATAR, a lot of extra-curriculars, DN WAM.

Mates: high 90's ATAR, little to moderate extra-curriculars, HD WAM. One has zero extra curriculars but 90+ WAM and likely 8 HDs.

However there are cases where students with high ATAR's salvage a CR WAM or barely cope. Its not the case that automatically you'll get a high WAM. You have to work hard for it.
If he/she can sustain a HD average ( ideally uni medal) for the length of his/her engo degree + maybe 1 internship, pretty sure MBB/top engo firms will be after him/her. When you're at that level, ECs don't even matter that much (its not that hard to get 'involved' in some random shitty society and become exec after 1 sem).

Also I wouldn't categorize 98s (what I got) and 99 together. Even within 99, there is a MASSIVE gap. Some of my mates who got 99.95 are ranking most subjects (whether it be comm/law or comm/mbbs or just comm). They consistently have high marks (one thing arguably 'pushing' them I guess would be the loss of scholarship if marks drop below D - I don't think its a factor). Then you come down to less than 99.5 and it typically varies quite a bit. Some of my very good friends who got mid 99s are literally struggling to survive finc/law despite moderate effort. I agree with albertcamus in a sense that uni is a lot to do with aptitude. Here, you simply don't have the time - like many high ATAR kids did in HS - to finish the course and revise over it multiple times + do heaps of questions to basically rote learn the content.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If he/she can sustain a HD average ( ideally uni medal) for the length of his/her engo degree + maybe 1 internship, pretty sure MBB/top engo firms will be after him/her. When you're at that level, ECs don't even matter that much (its not that hard to get 'involved' in some random shitty society and become exec after 1 sem).
It does depend to a certain extent on how well you perform however there is a big gap in experience level there. Also in Engineering there are much more industry based extra-curriculars which involve experience. Being an exec of a society is a completely different thing in my opinion to someone who has worked on, for example, the Sunswift team and played a big part in the development of a way of the future, whilst also breaking world records. Its not all about what you can show off with extra curriculars. Most companies would much rather if you could explain your depth and involvement and how that has helped you gain experience which is relavant to your future field of work, or how it can help them save money here and there. A big problem with breaking into an engineering role is that employers don't want to have to waste time and money in training fresh undergraduates.

I have met owners of a few small engineering firms and what they told me was that in hiring an undergraduate, they would lose about $80k in the first year, where $60k is the salary and $20k is the training and extras. The Engineering industry is quite different in this sense. Every company would love for the undergraduate to have solid experience, then the marks they obtain is a bonus to their application.

Also, afaik even in bursaries and scholarships I have seen pop up here and there for us, most have something like CR or DN WAM requirement for Engineering. Nothing too spectacular is needed all the time. There might be a few spots here and there which require some top marks (tbh I haven't seen anything that has required a ridiculously high WAM yet), but that's not the majority of firms.

Also I wouldn't categorize 98s (what I got) and 99 together. Even within 99, there is a MASSIVE gap. Some of my mates who got 99.95 are ranking most subjects (whether it be comm/law or comm/mbbs or just comm). They consistently have high marks (one thing arguably 'pushing' them I guess would be the loss of scholarship if marks drop below D - I don't think its a factor). Then you come down to less than 99.5 and it typically varies quite a bit. Some of my very good friends who got mid 99s are literally struggling to survive finc/law despite moderate effort. I agree with albertcamus in a sense that uni is a lot to do with aptitude. Here, you simply don't have the time - like many high ATAR kids did in HS - to finish the course and revise over it multiple times + do heaps of questions to basically rote learn the content.
Well to be fair, all my mates with 80+ WAM are in a category of 97-99 ATAR's. There is quite a variance between the WAM's irrespective of their ATAR's. Some are a bit more involved with extra things than others. Some aren't. In the end it all comes down to their effort into their study. That was the point I was making there, hence why I added the extra-curriculars component in my response earlier.

Though it does depend a bit. There are some people who just have amazing time management and what not and can do a lot of extra-curriculars and also maintain some of the best marks around (take deswa1 for example, who I have heard tops everything and does a lot of extra curriculars).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)