Do people who apply for selective schools usually get in? (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Just want to know. How many people do you think apply for one selective school each year? and im talking yr 8-12. not year 6. how many make it?

I reckon 95% of them get in coz most of the people I know got in. It seems so easy lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Just want to know. How many people do you think apply for one selective school each year? and im talking yr 8-12. not year 6. how many make it?

I reckon 95% of them get in coz most of the people I know got in. It seems so easy lol
Know. It's actually harder, isn't it? I know friends who applied but they all failed (that's probably because the school is NSBH). I don't know. When I applied, I got in. That's all I know.

HSC
Usually the people who apply are those who think they have a good chance, so it shouldn't be surprising if they get in. However, there are very few places because only a couple of people drop out per year (at least in my school) so your friends are lucky.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well i am one of those people..i started yr 11 at girra this yr and well i was fortunate that girra offer 20 new places..on top of that it aint one of the premium selectives like NSBH and yeahh that might have made it easier! what schools have the people urve talked to got into? those who get put onto waiting lists prior to yr 11 tend to get in too for some reason because there arnt that many keen students wanting to change in the yrs 8-10..well thats what i feel anyway..i would not have changed during those yrs

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Depends on what school you're apply for I guess... I'd say that the hardest schools to get into are all the major players with good reputation - especially amongst Asian families (no use denying it). These are schools like James Ruse, Baulko, NSGHS and HGHS - basically all the selective schools in the Top 10. It's abit of a different story if you live out west abit though, since consideration needs to be put in concerning travel times. If the travel times are insane, they'll probably go for local selective schools like Girra.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well i know 6 ppl left girra and went to baulko for this yr and thats for yr 11..so baulko mustve had quite a few places at hand too

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
clintmyster said:
well i know 6 ppl left girra and went to baulko for this yr and thats for yr 11..so baulko mustve had quite a few places at hand too
Yeah, but I heard that it was basically all Girra people who snapped up the places at Baulko, apart from 1 guy who went to my old school.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Lol when i applied to get into Manly (Year 8) i had to have an interview with the councillor bring in year 7 reports and all that mumbo jumbo. Basically what happened he never looked at any of my stuff we just sat there for 30 mins eating cookies and drinking coke while discussing how much the roosters where going to flog all the other teams. I'm still friends with the man to this day although now we go to the pub and eat steak and drink beer while discussing how good the roosters are.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Continuum said:
Yeah, but I heard that it was basically all Girra people who snapped up the places at Baulko, apart from 1 guy who went to my old school.
ah right i did not know that. daym i wish i went to selective since yr 7 cause then its really possible to climb ur way up to ruse by the end of yr10 and finish there =[
my parents regret that tooo

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
clintmyster said:
ah right i did not know that. daym i wish i went to selective since yr 7 cause then its really possible to climb ur way up to ruse by the end of yr10 and finish there =[
my parents regret that tooo
Why regret it? Not going to selective in Year 7 is perfectly fine. What it meant was that in year 7, those guys were better than you. It doesn't reflect the situation 4 to 5 years later. Getting into a selective school for year 11 usually means that you're better than everyone in the cohort already there anyhow, for the simple reason that it's very competitive (moreso than in year 6).

Again, don't regret it. There's no point in doing so, just stay focused on making the best of what you have I guess - that's life.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Why regret it? Not going to selective in Year 7 is perfectly fine. What it meant was that in year 7, those guys were better than you. It doesn't reflect the situation 4 to 5 years later. Getting into a selective school for year 11 usually means that you're better than everyone in the cohort already there anyhow, for the simple reason that it's very competitive (moreso than in year 6).

Again, don't regret it. There's no point in doing so, just stay focused on making the best of what you have I guess - that's life.
Not necessarily. My brother got into Gosford as a reserve this year. Now, he is easily the top in Gosford in Science & Mathematics.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
Not necessarily. My brother got into Gosford as a reserve this year. Now, he is easily the top in Gosford in Science & Mathematics.
Uhh... elaborate please. :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Uhh... elaborate please. :(
You mentioned that the people who got into Selective were probably better than him. So I put my brother as an example that Selective School test does not necessarily indicate your true academic abilities. I have got few mates in NSBH who are extremely dumb. Don't even know how they got there in the first place (namely, Kevin Kim).

HSC
Lyounamu, maybe your brother is just really smart. What year is he in?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
Lyounamu, maybe your brother is just really smart. What year is he in?
He is in Year 7. His name is Sam Lyoo. Since you are in Gosford, you might be able to see him, I reckon. I hope you see him at the Award night. (if opportunities allow and if he maintains his mark & ranks). :uhhuh:

HSC
lyounamu said:
He is in Year 7. His name is Sam Lyoo. Since you are in Gosford, you might be able to see him, I reckon. I hope you see him at the Award night. (if opportunities allow and if he maintains his mark & ranks). :uhhuh:
Year 12 attend a seperate night to Year 7-11 so I won't see him there, but good luck to him.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
Year 12 attend a seperate night to Year 7-11 so I won't see him there, but good luck to him.
Oh. Then good luck in your HSC. I hope to see my brother saying that you were the Dux of Gosford High School in 2008.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
You mentioned that the people who got into Selective were probably better than him. So I put my brother as an example that Selective School test does not necessarily indicate your true academic abilities. I have got few mates in NSBH who are extremely dumb. Don't even know how they got there in the first place (namely, Kevin Kim).
Yeah, I said that the people who got into selective for year 7 were probably better than him at that time. However, I also said that it doesn't reflect the situation 4 to 5 years later. In order words, implying that someone who didn't get into a selective school in year 7 could very well beat everybody who originally did, 4 or 5 years later - such as your brother. :p

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
well i guess it depends on subs? like in math in girra im like 15th in 2u but a few marks more and i could easily be first..so i get what ur saying especially with dumb people in my cohort! people actually get 20% in 2u like omgg

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I think Selective entry for Year 11 is probably the easiest. I know a few people at my school (ranked 126 - so not that good) who weren't even in the top classes at my school, and still managed to get into selective schools. Makes me wish I applied for one last year.

As for Years 7-10, I heard its really hard to get into any selective school, so I'm pretty sure your best bet is to get in for Year 11, as I think each school takes ~ 20 new ppl.

As for Year 12 selective entry, I have no clue on how many people get in and I'm assuming only a few (if any) get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)