Do prelim sciences affect HSC? (1 Viewer)

Stateranklol

HSC
Just wondering whether preliminary physics chemistry and biology even matter in year 12. As in do the content that's being studied in prelim get tested in year 12? Not sure whether j should put in a ton of effort into them in year 11.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
You will struggle greatly in Chem if you dont understand the prelim work. The calculations (moles etc) and rules learnt in prelim chem are as fundamental to chemistry hsc as algebra is to Mathematics.

the_matrix

HSC
chem - yea you better put effort in this because a lot of concepts in year 12 are further extensions of year 11
physics - the only things that i can think of right now are most of the formulae and The World Communicates topic - you just need general knowledge of this topic

Flop21

HSC
You will struggle greatly in Chem if you dont understand the prelim work. The calculations (moles etc) and rules learnt in prelim chem are as fundamental to chemistry hsc as algebra is to Mathematics.
This. Very much this.

Bio is kind of meh. It's just learning facts, and yes maybe a few basic ideas explored in year 11 might be revisited in year 12, but it doesn't take much effort to learn them. Hence why bio isn't a pre requisite for uni, they pretty much teach HSC bio again anyway.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Chemistry definitely. I can't stress this enough (which is why I'm repeating what others have said). I didn't understand, tbh, most of prelim chem, and so now am struggling more than what I would like and am finding that I'm having to re-teach myself the things that we covered.
Bio...not so much. Honestly I can't remember anything probably of prelim, however it is forming a base for yr12 work, which is the same for all sciences really (and probs most other subjects too).
Physics, it's drumming in how to manipulate and use formulas (remember them!!), as well as build a strong base with simpler ideas for more complex ones that will require this previous knowledge and understanding.

Basically do your best anyway, not just because knowing the content helps, but you're also creating learning habits that will continue on in yr12. Get them good now, and it'll save you a lot of work, marks, stress and tears later (small personal experience and seeing it in a lot of friends/classmates)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I actually thought of dropping Chem in prelim because I didn't understand most of the stuff, but I still ended up doing good in HSC chem so it depends on the person.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
for physics pay attention in moving about and electricity in the home
tbh there isn't that much carryover but there are some pree fundamental ideas you should get your head around early

world communicates is sort of not really kind of revisited lil bit in HSC

the space topic - LOL

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
for physics pay attention in moving about and electricity in the home
tbh there isn't that much carryover but there are some pree fundamental ideas you should get your head around early

world communicates is sort of not really kind of revisited lil bit in HSC

the space topic - LOL
I've found (so far) that the world communicates was one of the most fundamentally kinda topics out of prelim

So far space is cool....but man so many formulas to remember!! :blink2::bomb:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
The main crossover for Chemistry and Physics has to do with understanding general concepts.
Main things are any formula learnt including moles, force equations, all the electricity equations.
Some of the topic specific stuff is less relevant, like in HSC, they won't ask you how to recycle certain metals.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are spending time wondering whether you should put a ton of effort into prelim, your attitude towards studying probably needs to be fixed first before you maximise your results.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Chem -yea
Bio- no
I can't speak for physics as I don't do it

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
And then there is me, the epitome of Physics failure.

I've gone through Prelim Physics understanding close-to-nothing. And I'm still doing HSC Physics.
Of course my marks aren't great but I use to get 50% in Preliminary, and now I'm in the 65% - 75% zone. Which in my opinion is fucking bad.

I don't know if knowing Preliminary Physics like a God would've helped me in HSC, but I do hear terms from Preliminary, which were pretty easy for me to remember and understand and that helps me fill in gaps about understanding of HSC Physics

But I didn't choose to not learn in Physics. I just suck at clicking with the concepts LOL

sourmilk

HSC
Biology: Literally the only thing that carried over was osmosis and diffusion, which you relearn again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)