• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do universities care if you failed your extra unit? (1 Viewer)

wagig

HSC
Basically i'm forced to do a unit of studies of religion cause I go to a catholic school; I haven't studied for it all year cause I won't be needing it for my ATAR. If i achieved a band 6 for the rest of my 10 units and got, say a HSC mark of 20/50 for this one unit, would a university care at all? Or do they just look at my ATAR?

dsouzamatt

HSC
Basically i'm forced to do a unit of studies of religion cause I go to a catholic school; I haven't studied for it all year cause I won't be needing it for my ATAR. If i achieved a band 6 for the rest of my 10 units and got, say a HSC mark of 20/50 for this one unit, would a university care at all? Or do they just look at my ATAR?
Why did you decide to go to a Catholic school if you don't want to do SOR?

v1

HSC
They wouldn't know.
they know, but only care about best 10 units including english and prequisites (180 total MX1 and MX2 for actuarial at macq)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you want to study theology they'll care, otherwise you're good. They'll never even know when they're looking at the number that gains you admission in the first place. If you meet the ATAR cutoff no one cares if you failed a course. It will just be annoying to look at when you get the certificate that has all of your subjects and results on it (I have to look at catholic studies, so it could be worse). And as to the person questioning why you go to a catholic school of you don't want to study religion, there are multiple things you have to take into account when you choose a school. Personally I'm happy where I am, and that happiness is worth sitting through a couple of catholic studies classes a week. It's clearly not affecting OP too much either, since they don't study for it and it won't count toward their ATAR.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't care and almost certainly will never know...

enoilgam

HSC
Universities only really look at the ATAR in terms of admissions - they dont look at subject breakdowns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)