Do we have to synthesize/integrate texts (1 Viewer)

perrie1234

HSC
i have been told that you cannot access the top band if you dont synthesize your texts... is this true

perrie1234

HSC
why like how much do you have to synthesize... like throughout a paragraph or just like a sentence or a small reference every now an again

absorber

HSC
I think in english alota people worry too much about a formula and too little about saying insightful, meaningful things, which encourages markers to appreciate the uniqueness of your work. I think alota the synthesis necessary can be implied pretty easily, and just start and end your paragraphs saying things like 'Therefore, this text bears similarities to text A', or 'hence text B differs from text A due to contextual differences'. Just my take on it

perrie1234

HSC
well i like your view a lot better.... would you just wing that or have you memorized all the synthesis

absorber

HSC
I don't wing mate, I'm coming first in eng in my grade. I don't memorise essays, but I of course memorise quotes and paragraphs roughly, I try to remember the structure of my essays. I generally just make links between the texts when going from one to the other, just a sentence drawing similarities or differences. I do it question-specific though, so no, I guess I haven't memorised that stuff. At least, not word for word.

perrie1234

HSC
fair enough... interesting alright well ill try it your way and hopefully it works

tku336

HSC
It's pretty important to get some links between texts in almost every paragraph. Do it everytime you introduce a new point about a text.

e.g.

While in Felix Skrzynecki and Mrs Dalloway the individual must make the choice of whether to conform at the expense of personal identity, in Fight Club the individual’s personal identity correlates to the group simply because the narrator’s need for belonging changes his behaviour, action, and attitudes.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

It's pretty important to get some links between texts in almost every paragraph. Do it everytime you introduce a new point about a text.

e.g.

While in Felix Skrzynecki and Mrs Dalloway the individual must make the choice of whether to conform at the expense of personal identity, in Fight Club the individual’s personal identity correlates to the group simply because the narrator’s need for belonging changes his behaviour, action, and attitudes.

This. Though, i'd use a full stop rather than a comma before Fight Club.

Too much synthesis leads to cluttered paragraphs. Try and provide links between thematic ideas. This gives you contrast and fleshes out your argument.

Too many people synthesise by taking a theme, and then finding an example from each of their texts. Not only is this ineffective, but it doesn't broaden your argument.

perrie1234

HSC
yer i agree... too many people have told me that it just wrecks their argument and stuff but an occasional reference couldnt hurt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)