Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

RANK 1

HSC
The chances are extremely likely I'd say?
What are the chances that a few gases over billions of years have been able to make the 'perfect' world that we live in today?
You may not think its perfect, but if you really think about it everything in this world is so precise, so accurate, everything has a reason to exist.
We can't just say 'mother nature' is the one that tells trees to grow upwards, the one that tells birds to migrate south.
And on top of all this look how massive our universe is..... THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE BEHIND ALL THIS
We can't just be sitting here for the sake of nothing... and on top of this if you look at the main 3 abrahamic religions you'd see so many things answered that almost link our reality and answer so many questions. I dare say the idea of no god is frightening, and highly unlikely, let me remind you that our morals and our values have been derived over time from religion, so I'd say believing in no god and having no belief is also really detrimental to society, everyone would be so careless, and do things stupid thinking that its all okay.....
And what happens when you die? is that it? I doubt it, theres always a point to everything, and I am sure there is something after our death, something that all those prophets must've warned us off.

All I suggest is for you to read about the main religions and try to see if they have an effect on you, look at other people and examples of people who may have had the same idea as you and then converted to a religion and see what they say. Good Luck.
did you even read what i typed.....

RANK 1

HSC
Always sceptical of plausibility arguments...plenty of implausible things happen in this universe. And our very notion of "plausible" is shaped by what we experience.
but how else do you deal with something that can't be proven or disproven. its kinda like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the electron could be on the other side of the universe or it could be near the atom however the latter is much more likely hence we would generally disregard the former.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The whole thing is essentially a rehash of the cosmological argument with some moral and athropic theory thrown in.

FreeLearner

HSC
Hmm well thats your opinion on things.

For people that believe in god we'd say that you are the people that come prior to 'judgement day' are the ones that will try to destroy religion etc by using science as your belief system.

But as I'm short of time I won't keep on discussing, I'll just tell you that religion isn't just beliefs its also a powerful way of life, which when you accept it, the facts become clear to yourself, that is why its a 'belief', you cannot just have hard evidence you touch and expect to unravel the mysteries, you have to 'believe'!, think of it this way, if it was that easy to prove one religion was correct then we'd all be affiliated to that one religion, but in the end its up to everyone and what they choose to believe is right for them, and if we all just end up dying and never waking up well then so be it. But if it turns out to be true that there was a god, I'd rather have been the one that believed, at least I'd have a better chance than one who didn't believe in god :)

RANK 1

HSC

For people that believe in god we'd say that you are the people that come prior to 'judgement day' are the ones that will try to destroy religion etc by using science as your belief system.

But as I'm short of time I won't keep on discussing, I'll just tell you that religion isn't just beliefs its also a powerful way of life, which when you accept it, the facts become clear to yourself, that is why its a 'belief', you cannot just have hard evidence you touch and expect to unravel the mysteries, you have to 'believe'!, think of it this way, if it was that easy to prove one religion was correct then we'd all be affiliated to that one religion, but in the end its up to everyone and what they choose to believe is right for them, and if we all just end up dying and never waking up well then so be it. But if it turns out to be true that there was a god, I'd rather have been the one that believed, at least I'd have a better chance than one who didn't believe in god :)
you are infuriating. science is not a belief system, do not ever call it that also i think im pretty safe even if a god did exist as he is omnibenevolent.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Your using pascal's wager and it's already been disproved as a valid argument many, many times.

seanieg89

HSC
but how else do you deal with something that can't be proven or disproven. its kinda like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the electron could be on the other side of the universe or it could be near the atom however the latter is much more likely hence we would generally disregard the former.
My view is we DON'T deal with it. I don't see it as an issue that should affect any of my actions/decisions. And just because something can be neither proven nor disproven is no reason to "choose one to believe in." Also I am not sure about your comparison with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle...from my understanding of quantum mechanics (which is limited I admit), I thought that particles positions are given by a probability density function, a very concrete mathematical object. "Disregarding the former" is simply taking a classical point-particle approximation to the quantum system. This doesn't seem to be that analogous to blurring the distinction between "probable truth" and "truth".

(By the way, in my fence sitting I am merely playing devils advocate. I am FAR closer to atheistic in my beliefs than any organised religion and we probably do have very similar views on most aspects of religion.)

RANK 1

HSC
My view is we DON'T deal with it. I don't see it as an issue that should affect any of my actions/decisions. And just because something can be neither proven nor disproven is no reason to "choose one to believe in." Also I am not sure about your comparison with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle...from my understanding of quantum mechanics (which is limited I admit), I thought that particles positions are given by a probability density function, a very concrete mathematical object. "Disregarding the former" is simply taking a classical point-particle approximation to the quantum system. This doesn't seem to be that analogous to blurring the distinction between "probable truth" and "truth".

(By the way, in my fence sitting I am merely playing devils advocate. I am FAR closer to atheistic in my beliefs than any organised religion and we probably do have very similar views on most aspects of religion.)
ok you lost me after the 3rd sentence

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
you are infuriating. science is not a belief system, do not ever call it that also i think im pretty safe even if a god did exist as he is omnibenevolent.
science is a belief system. it's just not faith based.

physicists do not agree whether the wave function is real or a good approximation, or whether its collapse is real or a good approximation. for the most part, they don't care though, because it's all metaphysics. most belong to the david mermin school of "shut up and calculate." but yeah, indeterminancy is not an argument relevant to the existence of a deity, it's about the subjective nature of probability.

Last edited:

Dedication_

HSC
In any case, the contradictions are irrelevant to the main argument against god. Those making the claim that a god exists need to posit a sufficient amount of evidence to prove it, and that simply hasn't been done. Therefore, not believing the claims is the default position.
You just destroyed every Christian's arguement on the planet. Kudos to you, I crown you king :)

mrbond

HSC
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
There's no err about it - if you make a claim based on NO evidence, not only is it NOT up to me to disprove it, but I can dismiss your claim due to lack of evidence.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I believe in God (though lately been having doubts at times) but I am more affiliated with religion than not. However, I am not a person that feels I should force my beliefs upon others, and I still respect people who have other beliefs, unless they continue to criticize me/my beliefs/ make fun of them etc. I mean okay, you may think my faith is silly, but I would rather not hear about it, because I do not force my beliefs on anyone else.

I guess as long as we both respect each others way of life etc, then it's okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)