do you feel you have ever been treatred differently based on your religious beliefs? (1 Viewer)

discrimination in religion???

• YES

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • NO

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

outwide

HSC
does anyone out there feel like they have been discriminated against based on religious beliefs?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Re: do you feel you have ever been treatred differently based on your religious belie

I feel like I have been discriminated against based on not having any religious beliefs.

outwide

HSC
how so? do you have any example or anything like that?

outwide

HSC
have you ever been treatred differently based on your religious beliefs? VOTE PLEASE

does anyone out there feel like they have been discriminated against based on religious beliefs?

VOTE please

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
outwide said:
I've been treated with contempt for having a belief in the free market, should that be called discrimination?

EDIT: And yes, I've been knocked back by a Christian girl because I wasn't a strong enough Christian at the time (I'm now agnostic).

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yes.

me: will you stop sending me shit to prove that God exists? I'm agnostic, you've got the wrong fucking idea

dude: I'm not going to stop. I care about you too much to let you go to hell

another true scenario

dude: you moved out of home?

me: yes

dude: and your parents didn't allow it?

me: well no. They disowned me as a reaction

dude: you do realise that you're even more sinful now. You should go back

me: but they're abusive

dude: no, but they're your parents

me: but... i want control over my life

dude: you have to respect your parents. Its not this life that matters. If they want to govern your life and treat you in a particular way then let them. Its the afterlife that matters

(actually it got more extreme and I was more hysterical than that)

another one

me: well if God doesnt approve of my clash with my parents, then why did he give me the gift of music huh? Why did he make me talented in the very thing my parents hate?

dude: you're saying God set this up?

me: well isnt that what you believe in?

dude: but you werent suppose to react that way

me: what, standing up for myself to them and try to be my own person and let my talents go wasted?

dude: well... in short... yes.

...that person hassles me to drop out of the conservatorium of music and get back with my parents.

outwide

HSC
EDIT: And yes, I've been knocked back by a Christian girl because I wasn't a strong enough Christian at the time (I'm now agnostic).[/quote]

thats pretty heavy,

hey can you guys please vote in the poll?

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Re: have you ever been treatred differently based on your religious beliefs? VOTE PLE

Being a Anglican, i thought other christians wouldnt say boo about it.

Nope, the fucked-up school down the down that i went to for 5 years, didnt like the fact i was an anglican & also it was the reason for the first headmaster had to leave cos the P & T board didnt want an Anglican Headmaster.

I was picked on by teachers & students cos i wasnt baptist.

davin

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I've been treated with contempt for having a belief in the free market, should that be called discrimination?

EDIT: And yes, I've been knocked back by a Christian girl because I wasn't a strong enough Christian at the time (I'm now agnostic).
the free market bit isn't relevant on this....it is specifically religious beliefs....not economic or political ones, though you can get treated harshly for that too

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i'm not one to remember specific conversations, but most likely to have. long-short, family tradition clashed with religion experimentation didn't work out so well. i've gone from liking religion to being partial with it to hating it.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Re: have you ever been treatred differently based on your religious beliefs? VOTE PLE

I came to australia as a muslim and lived in jewish dominated suburb of bondi (not that there's anything bad about it), but they would treat me differently compared to christians or buddhist or whatever.

Basically they would just exclude me from whatever they do as much as they can. It's sad that this happened in a primary school, and at the time there was also the "One Nation" political party with pauline hanson.

So a few of them would hate me because i'm not australian and some of them would hate me because i'm a muslim.

Eversince then, I lost any dedication being a muslim so I just left the religion being an atheist now. Religion sucks, it screened my primary school life with boredom and anxiety.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have to say not really for most of my life. However my school did do something really odd once during a chapel (mandatory) they asked for non-believers to go to one side of the hall and for believers to go to the other side. I went to the non-believer side and then they started asking us why exactly we don't believe etc, it was quite odd, I rationalised my belief the best way I could and I thought I didn't do too bad.. I wasn't insulting to the believers but at the same time I tried to make it a decent on the spot case - but afterwards my friends seemed pretty pissed off at me for not believing.

Other than that one incident tho I can't think of anything else. I voted No.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
No, not really. I have one particularly religious friend who has on more than one occasion called me 'unclean' for not being baptised. I just laugh it off as it doesn't bother me.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
davin said:
the free market bit isn't relevant on this....it is specifically religious beliefs....not economic or political ones, though you can get treated harshly for that too
My point is that people will consider doing it based on religion discrimination, but on other beliefs it's not, which is a pretty stupid double standard.

davin

HSC
N/A
i know thats the point you were making, and in other discussions, i would agree its relevant, esp when looking at offending religious views vs any other sort of belief, but in this case, its not ... no one has yet made the case that religious beliefs are supposed to be treated significantly different from any other sort of belief.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Yes...mainly by the lunatic fringe of christians at unsw and a friend I used to have who went to a wacky hills district christian school. All don't want to know me.

Comrade nathan

HSC
I don't think any of these examples discimination. They are mostly examples of arkward situations or where people have been heckled. I think to be discriminated against you need to be deprived of something.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

stalk_if_u_dare said:
Being a Anglican, i thought other christians wouldnt say boo about it.

Nope, the fucked-up school down the down that i went to for 5 years, didnt like the fact i was an anglican & also it was the reason for the first headmaster had to leave cos the P & T board didnt want an Anglican Headmaster.

I was picked on by teachers & students cos i wasnt baptist.
You wouldnt be refering to our beloved Gateway would you?
They knew where I stood, but still gave me school cap., org all the assemblies/ guests and challenge them. (my favorite being the P&T decision to remove the Aboriginal mural, donated by local indigenous leaders, due to the demonic connotations of the serpant)

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

Iron said:
(my favorite being the P&T decision to remove the Aboriginal mural, donated by local indigenous leaders, due to the demonic connotations of the serpant)
hababahha hiliarious.

nwatts

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
yes.

me: will you stop sending me shit to prove that God exists? I'm agnostic, you've got the wrong fucking idea

dude: I'm not going to stop. I care about you too much to let you go to hell

another true scenario

dude: you moved out of home?

me: yes

dude: and your parents didn't allow it?

me: well no. They disowned me as a reaction

dude: you do realise that you're even more sinful now. You should go back

me: but they're abusive

dude: no, but they're your parents

me: but... i want control over my life

dude: you have to respect your parents. Its not this life that matters. If they want to govern your life and treat you in a particular way then let them. Its the afterlife that matters

(actually it got more extreme and I was more hysterical than that)

another one

me: well if God doesnt approve of my clash with my parents, then why did he give me the gift of music huh? Why did he make me talented in the very thing my parents hate?

dude: you're saying God set this up?

me: well isnt that what you believe in?

dude: but you werent suppose to react that way

me: what, standing up for myself to them and try to be my own person and let my talents go wasted?

dude: well... in short... yes.

...that person hassles me to drop out of the conservatorium of music and get back with my parents.
That person is an absolute wanker. He doesn't reflect how a Christian should think and act. Don't take him seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)