Do you find English Hard???? (1 Viewer)

candehh

HSC
I dontt :)

But then again i'm doing 4 units of English, where all my subjects revolve around essay writing as well..

Sammy2011

HSC
I find English hard, but only because of the stupid teachers at my school who feel it is required to cap the entire years marks. e.g the highest possible mark they will hand out is normally 15/20.

That said, I have never experienced any real difficulty with the subject, but I get that it is just hard for some people. Plain and simple. I find Math hard, but most people on BOS find it the easiest subject.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
by no means did i do well in advanced..
but the course is not hard; the whole 2 years i hated every second of english, by far my weakest subject... but it was only hard because of that

otherwise its quite easy, it makes watching films and books so much more interesting as you tend to understand them on a deeper level

for me, all my hsc essays had a particular structure.. like a scaffold which i had gotten used to. all that was required in the exam was to connect the syllabus pt that the question was asking, to what i remembered from that pt about the text.. and vomiting it out.

i think the key is to like it and enjoy it (it wouldve really helped me if i had that mentality from the start)

acemusic415

HSC
I guess it takes time, as in time is required for you to improve alongside with practice. It took me around a year and half to really establish my confidence in English. I use to be in ESL when I was in primary. It was around when I was in year 10 I started reading (not just only novel, I found wikipedia helped with the syntax, vocabulary, coherence, sophistication etc). Practice really does make perfect.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
It depends on a lot of things unfortunately. I had a great teacher for my HSC, interesting modules and options and an exam with questions that I had pretty much prepared for - so yeah, there is a bit of luck involved but if you enjoy writing, you should do just fine.

exiled

HSC
I'm not quite sure where I really stand in relation to English. According to my teachers, I'm naturally good at English, although it's my most loathed and poor performing subject. I also suffer from a profuse lack of confidence when it comes to English, and I'm not really sure why. With that aside, no, I don't believe that English is overly difficult in reality.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, I found the trick to performing well at HSC English - unfortunately, it was after the last assessment task. It's really drilling in your techniques and explaining how the techniques work in affecting the audience.

I remember the stupid smile on my face when I finally beat this girl in my grade who had always been the top in every single assessment. Someone in my class said: "Who got the highest, sir?" And then my teacher said, "Shadowdude" (to be in tune with the purposes of this post). And then my first thought was, "I beat... her?" *stupid smile*

I WAS SO HAPPY!

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
i think as soon as you learn the 'knack' for writing english essays, english becomes a billion times easier.
i remember at the beginning of year 11 i was struggling just to find ONE technique in an unseen text and my teacher said, "don't worry, sometime around the middle of year 12, the ability to be able to do this without even thinking will just kick in and you'll wonder why you ever thought you couldn't do this".

AND IT HAPPENED. JUST LIKE THAT, in the middle of year 12 O_O.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll find that English is one of the best exams, because you know exactly what content you have to use and know; the only problem with the exam is the short time restriction to try to answer questions so specifically and tightly. Otherwise, I think English as a subject was actually rather difficult throughout the year (lots of assessments, and plenty of challenging lessons)... but I think it's that difficulty that helped me go so well in it.

HSC
I'm not quite sure where I really stand in relation to English. According to my teachers, I'm naturally good at English, although it's my most loathed and poor performing subject. I also suffer from a profuse lack of confidence when it comes to English, and I'm not really sure why. With that aside, no, I don't believe that English is overly difficult in reality.
+1

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Epically hard, remember giving one of my essays for a teacher to marker- 18/20. Gave it to another teacher and 8/20.

This god awful subject gave me so many hard times during the HSC.

-Jonny

HSC
For me, the hardest part is actually giving myself the time to understand and analyse the texts properly. I used to think English was my worst subject, and I loathed every day leading up to our belonging exam, but I got 14/15 for it. Stoked. It's a huge spring of confidence. I find myself actually tuning into class now, reading extra books and finding related texts with ease. Even techniques are becoming easier find in any text.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I actually found english exceptionally easy, it was all techniques techniques techniques for me. I did 4unit english and managed to learn the entire course for advanced and extension within two weeks before the HSC exam. Only problem was I was planning to redo my hsc so my ranks and extension 2 were shit as I only had two weeks notice that I was apparently sitting the exams only once.

jamesfirst

HSC
I find english to be the hardest subjects

I do ext. 1 math, phy, chem, SOR, adv eng

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)