Do you get criticism due to your music choices? (1 Viewer)

Do you get criticised for your music?

• Yes

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 50.0%

• Total voters

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Of course. But before it was mostly looked down upon purely because it's foreign music, sang in a foreign language. Now PSY has just given people more excuses to hate on Kpop.
it's more to do with the fact that kpop is, on the whole, very derivative

deloving

HSC
it's more to do with the fact that kpop is, on the whole, very derivative
While that is true, it is very derivative, I must disagree with that being the main cause. It's highly unlikely a star from overseas comes in and sweeps the Australian (or American for that matter) mainstream with a song sang in a different language to English (does that even happen). Our society does not care much for such music, and therefore does not explore such genres. As someone who has lived overseas in a country where a different language is spoken, I can tell you that "outside" music is much more universal. I remember watching what I remember to be like the "MTV" alternative - there was a lot of world music played, whether it was English, Arabic, Spanish, Polish.

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
Does that matter? I can imagine if kpop was sang in a language used outside the asian continent it would still be seen as that "foreign music scene", and have the same popularity.
check edit silly goose

Nobody looks down on Chinese music too :p. Wait, it's not well known enough.
they most certainly do

While that is true, it is very derivative, I must disagree with that being the main cause. It's highly unlikely a star from overseas comes in and sweeps the Australian (or American for that matter) mainstream with a song sang in a different language to English (does that even happen). Our society does not care much for such music, and therefore does not explore such genres. As someone who has lived overseas in a country where a different language is spoken, I can tell you that "outside" music is much more universal. I remember watching what I remember to be like the "MTV" alternative - there was a lot of world music played, whether it was English, Arabic, Spanish, Polish.
are your jimmies seriously this rustled because people don't like kpop
calm
down
friend

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There are reasonably good songs in kpop but people really look down upon it because of Psy. I agree with you, but at the same time I don't.

From what I have said earlier it may seem like I hate electronic music, but that's not the case. I like things from every genre. If there is something that stands out in a song, or it has likeable lyrics or a fun sound, then I like it. Regardless of the genre. Therefore there are some kpop songs I like. And also EDM. But most of the time I can't stand it - it doesn't have any powerful lyrics, too often nothing really stands out, and I don't feel any emotion behind it. So... Kpop may be defined by electronic sounds. But take Gangnam Style as an example - there is nothing good about the lyrics, nothing stands out, no emotion or meaning behind it, no unique sound. That's not the case with all kpop songs.

So yeah, in the end the mainstream just has not won my heart over by transitioning into the electronic scene. Some people follow what is popular which at the moment is electronic sounds (hence the mainstream), but yeah, there is more to music than that.
Yeah, I know. A few years back I was a massive fan of japanese music and also briefly listened to kpop (I was at the Sydney concert). You can't really blame people for assuming all kpop is similiar to Psy though since that is all most people have been exposed to. Imo though, it's good to know at least one popular Kpop artist (Psy) is breaking the mould. The whole genre was increasingly getting more of a manafactured feel to it.

Nobody looks down on Chinese music too :p. Wait, it's not well known enough.
It's because there is only Jay Chou. There are literally no other Chinese artists worth mentioning. Even Jay Chou is actually Taiwanese.

deloving

HSC
Aye aye I'm perfectly calm. Kpop for me goes only as far as a few songs. Just because I type a few sentences more during a perfectly normal discussion it means I am mad/butthurt?

albertcamus

HSC
Pump up the hardstyle - someone needs to get their hakk on - definitely not looked down upon m8.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
For those people who have answered no (or actually, everyone here): tell us what music you listen to so we can make a better judgement.
Exclusively video game music and covers thereof.

Last edited:

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Not so much into music movies and games since 2 years

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
only because i'm bored

radiohead, the smiths, the cure, joy division, foxygen, grimes, classical stuff, french stuff, 30-50's stuff, jazz etc. etc.
nothing special who cares
hahahahhahaha look at this stupid cunt

a c

HSC
True, but still:

- Bon Jovi
- Phil Collins
- Michael Jackson
- Hall and Oates
- Ronan Keating
- Whitney Houston
- Huey Lewis and the News
- Journey
- Matchbox 20
- Bryan Adams
- Prince
- Van Halen
- Aerosmith
- INXS

To name a few...
Worst list ever heard, would not listen

There's nothing even remotely controversial on that list
Uncontroversially terrible.

Pete1555

HSC
Yes! Doesn't necessarily happen to myself, but I couldn't imagine someone who is into heavy metal not get judged by other teens. Well at least at my school, no-one publicly listens to heavy metal.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Constantly. Case in point: listening to Bardot right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)