do you have any advice to help a new uni student to get good grades? (1 Viewer)

bachelor

Hey, I'll be starting uni next year and I'm probably doing a business/commerce degree. I'm just wondering if you guys have any good advice/study tips that you can pass on to ppl like me so we can do well.

for e.g. some advice u can give to yr 12 students are to know the syllabus and do lots of past papers. these are the kinda tips im after... fanks in advance! :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
hmm my best advice is to just dont fall behind. theres usually alot of work to be covered, usually 4 textbooks(4 subjects) in 10 weeks. during exam time, make sure you attend the last couple of lectures for exam tips. following the course outline plus doing past papers is very beneficial. especially if the exams may be similiar.

dumadiscount

just do the prescribed reading and work.... definitely go to tutorials and lectures. if u go to everything and spend a couple hours per subject fixing up your notes and things for that week you will be sweet and still have plenty of time to drink copious amounts of alcohol :)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Try as best to keep up with the work as possible. This is not easy to do, particularly when u go through whole topics in each lecture, requiring hours of reading to actually understand what the lecturer is talking about.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
how do we get these 'past papers'?
You can download them off the university library websites such as Fisher Library for Usyd

HSC
N/A
I found because I was doing subjects I enjoyed and knew I was good at, it was easier to stay motivated. A lot of my friends are doing courses they don't enjoy and they simply don't want to attend tutes/lectures or do the work.

Motivation is the key! Burnout is very common.

bex

HSC
Pick subjects that interest you! thats my tip.. theres nothing worse than sitting through endless lectures and tutorials and then having to be examined on it at the end! If you can, summarise chapters as you do them because it makes the lead up to exams so much easier!! Apart from that id say do your tutorial prep and readings.. lectures are important but if you cant make it dont stress too much cause all the stuff they say in the lectures are in the readings and textbooks. However.. for one of my business classes we worked out that we pay in HECS $80 per lecture... and from then on we started to go all the time!!!

DOnt freak out, there are heaps of guidence counsilers there to help you.. as well get to know your tutor cause theyre the ones who assess you!! BE active members of your tutorial group cause there are usually marks allocated to participation and attendence!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
my advice would be to attend EVERY tutorial for EVERY subject, if thats only thing u ever do
1st yr business/commerce courses especially, the work is straight out of the textbook, so make sure u understand the content - do summaries and such like u did in high school, because, more often than not, exams are based on textbook content

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Consistency and attendance are the two most important things i can say. Consistent study, review etc and waht minai said attend all classes or at least make the effort to, makes ahell of a difference!

bachelor

ok guys thanks a lot for that, so basically to summarise:

1. consistency
2. attendance
3. make summaries
4. stay motivated
5. keep up with the big workload

[i.e. first five = work hard ]

6. do past papers and go tutorials before exams

is that it? hehe fanks a lot

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ugh, i need more time off! this has been the best break ever, and i am still not relaxed. the thought of work makes me sick.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
its not that bad, theres still time for a few drinks each week.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ...
sounds worst than HSC

>.<
its only worse than the HSC during the exam period
other than that, its pretty relaxed

^___^
HSC
ok..

say u want to transfer after one semester..

so does that mean u cannot afford to screw up ur exams or assessments since ur limited to one semester to prove ur worth...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
The only thing you need to do is keep up. Start studying early, especially if you have a lot of subjects (damn people here with their 4 subjects :rolleyes: ), because you only get 1 week of Stuvac, and you may have assignments due til the end of the final week. (they should give you a timetable of all exams and due dates for assessments, so plan ahead and get stuff out of the way early so you're not screwed.)
Also, try to go to all lectures but if there are a few you have to miss, get the lecture notes off someone ASAP, because otherwise you end up forgetting to get them, or get stressed out scrambling around to get them all off all different people in the last few days. And when it's like a week before exams you feel bad asking to borrow someones notes because they need them to study.
Also, there is huge demand for reference books in the library when there is an assessment due, so do not leave it to the last minute, because you may not be able to find a thing.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by ...
ok..

say u want to transfer after one semester..

so does that mean u cannot afford to screw up ur exams or assessments since ur limited to one semester to prove ur worth...
Well if you screw up 1 or 2 it is OK, so long as you have a good average at the end of the semester.
Try to do well in all of them though. Don't ever say "It's only 10%, I can make it up later..."-because you just get busier and busier and it is harder to do well later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)