Do you have to remember the temperatures for catalytic cracking. (1 Viewer)

SpankyTheHippo

Limp Willy
HSC
Do you have to remember the temperatures for catalytic cracking, cause I don't want to.

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
Of course you do.
You pretty much have to remember every "reaction condition" that is involved in all the processes that you learn: Haber process, cracking, polyethylene production, etc. So that means pressure, temperature, any catalysts used and absence of presence of certain chemicals e.g. Haber removes oxygen to remove risk of combustion, etc.

Just start learning all this crap now so you can be ahead when you go back to school.

mtsmahia

HSC
I dont think u need to ...

the dot point only says "identify"

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Of course you do.
You pretty much have to remember every "reaction condition" that is involved in all the processes that you learn: Haber process, cracking, polyethylene production, etc. So that means pressure, temperature, any catalysts used and absence of presence of certain chemicals e.g. Haber removes oxygen to remove risk of combustion, etc.

Just start learning all this crap now so you can be ahead when you go back to school.
To OP: Don't listen to him.
For the Haber process, compromised temperature and pressure are good to know, but strictly speaking, unnecessary. I would, however, memorise them for the Haber process as there is a whole subsection on it and temperature and pressure adjustments/monitoring. Btw, that's in the 3rd module so don't worry too much about it now.

And for catalytic cracking, you need to know that zeolite catalyst allows the reaction vessel to operate at lower temperatures than when the catalyst isn't used, but exact values/ranges of temperature are unnecessary in the HSC. I assume that temperature also varies depending on what is being cracked.
If you look at the syllabus, cracking is only a very very small part of it. Textbooks go over the top with it.
The dotpoint is:
• identify the industrial source of ethylene from the cracking of some of the fractions from the refining of petroleum
Notice how it doesn't even mention "thermal" or "catalytic."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)