Do you like english (1 Viewer)

DO YOU LIKE ENGLISH (THE SUBJECT)

• Total voters

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I enjoy english most of the time... I like to try and appreciate the art of english for what it is, doesn't mean I'm good at English, but I really enjoy doing it. The class discussions top any other!

camomile.tea

HSC
I like a subject when I'm doing well in it. I hate a subject when I do badly. I have a love-hate relationship with English. The concept of English is great. But high school English, like Maths, becomes a lot about remembering formulas.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i respect it as a subject but sometimes it bites me on the ass even if i work hard at it. i just came 111th in my english speech. the teacher marking it looked up incredibly infrequently, head resting on arm like a child being kept in after class.

HSC
I use to like it..

Until you started having to right bullshit stories almost every lesson. I HATE writing for long periods of time dribbling off random shit that comes to my mind. Still I get top marks for the subject....

I don't think it should be compulsory for Australians year 11 and 12 though. It should definately be compulsory for Asians and other people that can't speak english properly though.
No, sorry. I don't agree and I don't think you have the right to say that when you can't spell 'write' properly.

You're implying that Australians (I'm assuming white which means it doesnt include overseas born) that they are better than Asians or any other race at English.

(Epic failure at a generalisation)

Just look at all the selective schools..
I do believe that most of the places taken at selective schools are by Asian students.

:haha:

But, if you include overseas born or those who have parents that are from a non-white background such as me, but who still hold Australian citizenship etc, that changes the above argument but the point still stands that there are students who aren't 'Australian' can be more accomplished in the language.

Last edited:

suzlee

HSC
I use to like it..

Until you started having to right bullshit stories almost every lesson. I HATE writing for long periods of time dribbling off random shit that comes to my mind. Still I get top marks for the subject....

I don't think it should be compulsory for Australians year 11 and 12 though. It should definately be compulsory for Asians and other people that can't speak english properly though.

You USED to like it, not use. And you started to WRITE bull, not RIGHT.
A lot of things that you said contradict your point so I had to point it out.

And.. I do hope you mean international students when you say "Asians". Australian-born Asians who speak fluent English don't count as Asians then?

Igglesnoop

HSC
Uni Grad
It's the only subject that I'm getting a B in and it's ruining the usually aesthetically pleasing cluster of As.

If I hear the words 'representation', 'character construction' or 'deconstruction' again; I will have a heart attack and die.

jiyeonPARKK

HSC
I use to like it..

No, sorry. I don't agree and I don't think you have the right to say that when you can't spell 'write' properly.

You're implying that Australians (I'm assuming white which means it doesnt include overseas born) that they are better than Asians or any other race at English.

(Epic failure at a generalisation)

Just look at all the selective schools..
I do believe that most of the places taken at selective schools are by Asian students.

:haha:

But, if you include overseas born or those who have parents that are from a non-white background such as me, but who still hold Australian citizenship etc, that changes the above argument but the point still stands that there are students who aren't 'Australian' can be more accomplished in the language.
You USED to like it, not use. And you started to WRITE bull, not RIGHT.
A lot of things that you said contradict your point so I had to point it out.

And.. I do hope you mean international students when you say "Asians". Australian-born Asians who speak fluent English don't count as Asians then?
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

speedofsound

HSC
It's the only subject that I'm getting a B in and it's ruining the usually aesthetically pleasing cluster of As.

If I hear the words 'representation', 'character construction' or 'deconstruction' again; I will have a heart attack and die.
I do believe you may hear those words a fair bit in the next two years.

HSC
hmm. i dont like LOVE english but i wouldnt say i hate it.
its alright i guess. i sometimes like the writing aspect depending on what it is and i like reading. =]

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
yes, i do like english.
And would have selected extension english.. but our school did not offer it..

Although i have a friend who is doing it via Distance education.. i would have done the same.. but i didn't apply.. in time.. :(

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
What's there to like? the impreciseness of assessment appeals to you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)